Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,447 times

Advertisements

I'm asking, again, for my cousin. He and his folks have to pick up and move the end of the month. His lease is up and he has lost his job here in the northeast.

So he is scouring where he could work if they just move. Frisco keeps popping up as an ideal place.

But there was something I read today that said Frisco has too many people and just not enough jobs. They said it's like one of those boom to bust towns--maybe it is booming for some but for others, they are out of luck.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 03:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I'm asking, again, for my cousin. He and his folks have to pick up and move the end of the month. His lease is up and he has lost his job here in the northeast.

So he is scouring where he could work if they just move. Frisco keeps popping up as an ideal place.

But there was something I read today that said Frisco has too many people and just not enough jobs. They said it's like one of those boom to bust towns--maybe it is booming for some but for others, they are out of luck.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks so much.
Frisco is an exurb, a bedroom community. I'm not surprised there are more people than jobs. I would guess most Frisco-ites leave Frisco every morning for jobs in Plano, Richardson, Dallas, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:08 PM

263 posts, read 565,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Frisco is an exurb, a bedroom community. I'm not surprised there are more people than jobs. I would guess most Frisco-ites leave Frisco every morning for jobs in Plano, Richardson, Dallas, etc.
Agree. I know several people that live in Frisco, but none of them work in Frisco.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times
90k People - Do "people" under 18 count in that number? Lots of them in Frisco as well as SAHMs.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Sounds about right. Unless you wanna work restaurant/retail there aren't a lot of jobs in Frisco.

There are a handful of companies in the Hall Office Park off the Dallas North Tollway & Gaylord, and some more between Lebanon and 121 on Parkwood, but other than that most folks commute to their jobs.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Frisco likes to run businesses out of town that provide jobs.

High paying, union jobs.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:41 PM

62 posts, read 210,617 times
I doubt that number reflects the number of jobs in Frisco compared to the actual number of able-bodied, working aged people who are seeking employment in Frisco.Many people who live in Frisco (my family included) do not work in Frisco by choice. My husband actually got a job in another city (which is what brought us to TX) and we chose Frisco after he got the job. Also, Frisco is full of stay at home moms who are not looking for employment and while I don't have statistical data to back this up, I'm also inclined to believe there's a decent amount of retirees here as well. (Just based on the number of oldies but goodies that I see strolling about in the mall or out and about around town).

Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM

90 posts, read 182,626 times
Stay at home parents are aplenty

Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,447 times
Thanks for your comments. I think the site was implying that there were very few jobs in the area (Dallas/Plano/Frisco) in general and that many people are without work so moving there was useless.

Anyhow, thanks for your answers and hope you all are safe after those tornadoes yesterday.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
What Big D said is spot on..Aside from that don't believe all the hype that the job market in DFW is so strong you should pack up your Conestoga Wagon and move there. Get a job first then go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas