Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times

Advertisements

DFW all the way....Williamson county is beautiful but also small. DFW and Nashville are very different. Outside of Williamson county and the nice parts of Nashville Proper we did not find TN appealing. I have been there a number of times for work. DFW is pretty hard to beat right now.The DFW area is poised to surpass Chiago as the largest metro in the next few years.

The only negative I can think of living here is the hot summers. The best thing we ever did was build a brand new,single story,energy efficient house.Our electricity bills have been very low for the summer months. If you do end up moving here, my number one suggestion would be a single story,energy efficient home.

We moved to the DFW area from Greenwich,Ct ( we live in Prosper). The DFW metroplex offers alot more than the Nashville area in my opinion...in every aspect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
DFW is certainly bigger, but we don't mind small as long as it's not in the middle of nowhere. One of the reasons for moving is that we're fed up with the dense urban hell of NYC. So a smaller, more rural-looking area isn't a downer for us if the amenities are there, it's actually a plus. I miss hearing the sound of tree leaves rustling in the wind, without it being spoiled by the squeal of someones brakes or a fire siren in the distance. We realize we probably can't get the rural feel we're after in DFW and still be within a half hour of the airport. That's where the bountiful amenities DFW has to offer cancels out some of the downsides like traffic and neighborhood density.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Moderator cut: see comment I have some questions about the schools. I have a similar thread on the TN forums, and it was mentioned that there has been a lot of education budget cut backs in TX as of late. So a question to the parents out there, what's your take on the school system in Grapevine/Flo-Mo/Coppell and how it's been run over the past 10 years or so? What sort of programs have been cut from your children's schools (if any) and which ones have been fostered? How active is the community and PTA in places like Grapevine/Flo-Mo/Coppell? How has the recent recession effected the school systems there?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-07-2012 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, do not post in your thread ("bumping" it) just to have it appear on the top of the forum.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 PM

301 posts, read 571,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Moderator cut: see comment I have some questions about the schools. I have a similar thread on the TN forums, and it was mentioned that there has been a lot of education budget cut backs in TX as of late. So a question to the parents out there, what's your take on the school system in Grapevine/Flo-Mo/Coppell and how it's been run over the past 10 years or so? What sort of programs have been cut from your children's schools (if any) and which ones have been fostered? How active is the community and PTA in places like Grapevine/Flo-Mo/Coppell? How has the recent recession effected the school systems there?
My kids go to school in the Flower Mound (Marcus) feeder portion of LISD. I also do contract work for LISD two days per week. There have been cuts and belts are definitely tighter but I'm very very happy with the education my kids are getting so far. The PTA at both of my kids schools (one in elementary and one in middle school) are very active.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-07-2012 at 07:43 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
The cuts will IMO and as reported are mostly in the special education, social services and administrative areas, as schools/districts will do as much as possible to retain the student/teacher ratios - cutting teaching aides/para-educators doesn't impact the ratio. I don't see that ratio changing for the (considerably well funded) districts you are considering.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 PM

The decision has been made, it wasn't easy and we literally debated this for months... but we're Dallas bound! Potential future employment prospects is what tipped the scale. While employment is not an immediate issue even when we relocate, if employment situations were to change we'd be much better off in Grapevine (Dallas) than in Franklin (Nashville). It was so close between the two places that it broke our hearts to decide. It was like picking who you love more: your mom or your dad.

Anyway, we're looking forward to getting the heck out of our current city of residence and enjoy a better quality of life in Dallas

The only downside is the timing of the move, probably August. I need to get a move on creating a mobile air-conditioned space suit. Nasa doesn't sell them cheap so I'm wondering what I can rig with a cooling coil, portable fan, duck tape and plastic bags.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Congratulations on the decision!! You will love Grapevine. It is really a nice place.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
And you can always vacation in Nashville, perhaps in autumn when the fall colors may be more dramatic than what you get in DFW, and get a taste of the things you like there. It's not that far by plane. Welcome to Texas.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 AM

48 posts, read 132,365 times
Tennessee hands down! Tenn has trees that you don't have to buy and beatiful rolling hills. Should have about the same number of job possibilites with Nashville being close. I have lived in both and would pick TN.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Welcome to Texas, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Good people and exciting weather here but its the freedom in Texas and good economy that help make people upbeat and thsi place the jewel it is. I call a move to Tx a promotion so congrats on the promotion to Tx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas