U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM

65 posts, read 182,144 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I would like some honest opinions. I know this may be apples vs oranges comparison but please give me your thoughts. Our family is thinking really hard about where to put our kid to school. I have a 5 year old and we are debating whether to move to Southlake and put them in an Exemplary Elementary school or go for one of the top private schools in Dallas (i.e St. Alcuin).

In your honest opinion what you do and please describe the pro and cons of your opinions

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,120,092 times
I am not even sure that is something you can compare. Where is the job? My child goes to school just adjacent to St. Alcuin and I know two families who live in Southlake. That is a haul and a half for school.

Why Southlake? Not that the schools there aren't great, but there are Exemplary elementaries all over the Metroplex. I think Southlake has some things that make them different from other communities (high end shopping, super-power sports at high school level, etc) but it isn't for everyone. Some here will argue, but I think Southlake is pretty well-off financially and I know housing there starts pretty high.

That said, St. Alcuin (not sure if that was just an example) is a small-ish Montessori school that only goes through 8th grade.

I think it really depends on where the job is and what your goals are for education. Both would be a good choice.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM

65 posts, read 182,144 times
I will be working in Addison so the commute is not an issue either way. My goal is to have the best education for my kid up to 8th grade. I would like to have them experience public high school but also want them to be in the best high schools if possible (ie. Southlake). I know private schools can get expensive so I'm weighing the decision to live in Southlake for the community, shopping, low crime, etc. vs a decent place in Dallas and send my kid to a private school like St. Alcuin. I don't have the financial ability to do both meaning spending the $$ on real estate in the Southlake price range and also send my kid to private school. I have to pick one or the other. Southlake with their exemplary elementary school vs older and smaller home in Dallas and a private school like St. Alcuin

Thanks, let me know more from you

Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM

8,310 posts, read 9,071,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1412 View Post
I will be working in Addison so the commute is not an issue either way. My goal is to have the best education for my kid up to 8th grade. I would like to have them experience public high school but also want them to be in the best high schools if possible (ie. Southlake). I know private schools can get expensive so I'm weighing the decision to live in Southlake for the community, shopping, low crime, etc. vs a decent place in Dallas and send my kid to a private school like St. Alcuin. I don't have the financial ability to do both meaning spending the $$ on real estate in the Southlake price range and also send my kid to private school. I have to pick one or the other. Southlake with their exemplary elementary school vs older and smaller home in Dallas and a private school like St. Alcuin

Thanks, let me know more from you

STIPULATION: I'm very much pro-private schooling.

DECLARATION: If private schooling will yield a very tight financial picture I'd go public - Richardson, Plano, Southlake etc.

FRIENDLY ADVICE: This is DFW, ones commute is always an issue.

Assuming the money makes sense and if work is in Addison and will stay there, I'd opt for living in Dallas, Richardson, Plano or select portions of Carrollton or Farmers Branch and do the private school thing. With some detective work one can find a great home in a safe neighborhood in Dallas for $250K and up - actually less if you have an adventuresome streak.

Explore the various private schools and neighborhoods nearby and decide if that picture makes sense. For example you might consider living just south of St. Alcuin. From St. Alcuin into Addison in terrible traffic is 10/15 minutes. No traffic 4/5. Except after midnight Southlake into Addison is never going to be less than 30 and often much more.

Best of luck.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,120,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
STIPULATION: I'm very much pro-private schooling.

DECLARATION: If private schooling will yield a very tight financial picture I'd go public - Richardson, Plano, Southlake etc.

FRIENDLY ADVICE: This is DFW, ones commute is always an issue.

Assuming the money makes sense and if work is in Addison and will stay there, I'd opt for living in Dallas, Richardson, Plano or select portions of Carrollton or Farmers Branch and do the private school thing. With some detective work one can find a great home in a safe neighborhood in Dallas for $250K and up - actually less if you have an adventuresome streak.

Explore the various private schools and neighborhoods nearby and decide if that picture makes sense. For example you might consider living just south of St. Alcuin. From St. Alcuin into Addison in terrible traffic is 10/15 minutes. No traffic 4/5. Except after midnight Southlake into Addison is never going to be less than 30 and often much more.

Best of luck.
Great advice. I am not pro-private, but because of where we live, we chose private. It is a choice we made.

Given that your job is in Addison, there is no way I would live in Southlake. You are just asking for a headache of a commute every single day, coming and going. Like EDS suggested, I would probably focus on Richardson or maybe Lake Highlands and put my kid at St. Alcuin. From Lake Highlands, you could be about 15-20 minutes to school and then 15 minutes to work. (less if someone else is doing drop off/pickup) With having a 5yr old, you still have a long time to finishing 8th grade to figure out a high school option.

Best of luck!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,374,387 times
Remember, St Alcuin is a Montessori based curriculum - a very good one. Public school in Southlake most likely will not be Montessori based and may be focused on test taking since public schools are heavy into standardized tests. You will know best what environment your 5 yr old will do best in along with input from current preschool teacher. Good luck. It's a tough decision and know that your child's educational needs may change as they get older.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,976,510 times
Quote:
...I would like to have them experience public high school but also want them to be in the best high schools if possible (ie. Southlake).

I guess I disagree with the assertion that Southlake is the best possible public school. HP, Coppell, and Plano West & Senior are all (IMO) better public schools. (Unless you're already planning a D-I college career for your kids. Then Dragons all the way.)

If you buy in Coppell or Plano Senior, you'd save enough $$$ relative to Southlake to fund private K-8, yet still be well-positioned for a public 9-12 option. Not to mention reducing your commute with either of those choices.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM

2,834 posts, read 3,756,588 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I would like some honest opinions. I know this may be apples vs oranges comparison but please give me your thoughts. Our family is thinking really hard about where to put our kid to school. I have a 5 year old and we are debating whether to move to Southlake and put them in an Exemplary Elementary school or go for one of the top private schools in Dallas (i.e St. Alcuin).

In your honest opinion what you do and please describe the pro and cons of your opinions

Thanks in advance
If you're looking public, why Southlake and not Plano? Plano West High School actually has *better* SAT/ACT scores (1179/26.3 with 97.7% of student tested) than Carroll Sr. High School (1161/25.7), and many of the lower level schools are "Exemplary" rated and appear to have test results comparable to Carroll ISD. I also work in Addison, and Plano is a heck of a lot easier commute than Southlake.

THBS, I will likely wind up living in the Southlake/Colleyville/Flower Mound area (proximity to the airport), so I know that those areas are desirable for various reasons, including the quality of the schools. But still, I ain't looking forward to my commute every day.

Just tossing that out as something to think about.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM

9,823 posts, read 20,511,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post

Given that your job is in Addison, there is no way I would live in Southlake. You are just asking for a headache of a commute every single day, coming and going.
I agree. With the construction 635, thesis going to be a horrible commute.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,080,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
If you're looking public, why Southlake and not Plano? Plano West High School actually has *better* SAT/ACT scores (1179/26.3 with 97.7% of student tested) than Carroll Sr. High School (1161/25.7), and many of the lower level schools are "Exemplary" rated and appear to have test results comparable to Carroll ISD. I also work in Addison, and Plano is a heck of a lot easier commute than Southlake.

THBS, I will likely wind up living in the Southlake/Colleyville/Flower Mound area (proximity to the airport), so I know that those areas are desirable for various reasons, including the quality of the schools. But still, I ain't looking forward to my commute every day.

Just tossing that out as something to think about.
That participation rate you list is very likely incorrect.

Here is the State report from 2010 and it shows Plano West with an 81% participation rate versus Carroll at 88% ...Coppell at 79%

This more than accounts small difference in the SAT scores. Coppell at 1151 Carroll 1161 and Plano West 1179

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/acctres/S...class_2010.pdf

Last edited by padcrasher; 04-05-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or