Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
That's correct, only 26% of Texas whites voted for Obama, an amount mirrored in all the southern states. One of the problems with southern attitudes is that the states don't or won't see themselves for what they are. By comparison. Obama split the white vote outside the south. I did an article on why blacks vote democratic despite be socially conservative, will try to put it up. Hispanics also tried to vote republican holding on to those same conservative principles. But in the last election a growing number learned what blacks have long known, that voting first and foremost for a party truly compassionate to families takes precedent over other conservative positions they may align with from the other party. Today, more women than ever are learning that same lesson, which is why Obama has almost doubled his lead amongst women voters.

Texas right now leans Santorum, a candidate that couldn't possibly win in a national election. More whites outside the south know he can't win. But he and also Gingrich preach that old southern made tea-talk that is red-meat to southern states.
Thanks for the boundless sanctimony. The notion that liberals, small l, care more about families than conservatives is patently and demonstrably absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
We've been here since 1997 (except for the 13 months in Georgia in 2006-7). My husband has never been asked about religion EXCEPT FOR one place he worked here. Bonuses were contingent upon saying you accepted Christ as your savior. It's an NATIONAL company (who just went through a bankruptcy and he no longer works there and quit after about 9 months) so I was floored.
That's got to be a joke?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:48 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Thanks for the boundless sanctimony. The notion that liberals, small l, care more about families than conservatives is patently and demonstrably absurd.
Conservatives don't care for all families, just certain types. I have never heard a negative word about any type of family from a non conservative politician compared to vile venom and outright lies about some families from conservative politicians. Unequal treatment of families is even in the conservative party platform.

Therefore conservatives are less family friendly than others.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Conservatives don't care for all families, just certain types. I have never heard a negative word about any type of family from a non conservative politician compared to vile venom and outright lies about some families from conservative politicians. Unequal treatment of families is even in the conservative party platform.

Therefore conservatives are less family friendly than others.
It's not about words. It's about actions and policies. One side wants endless social spending and other handouts that - always across the world with basically no exceptions create a permanent economic underclass (Greece and Israel for but two examples). One side wants rational short term policies than help people find jobs and establish careers creating a culture of independence and confidence.

What do you mean by vile venom and lies?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 AM

933 posts, read 1,532,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
LOL. There are plenty of protestants who don't think Catholics are Christian. It is very weird, because where I come from just about everyone is Catholic.
Yes, indeed there are. They hold the same views about Orthodox Christians, Mormons, Jehovas Witnesses, ect as well.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Now I do have to say at the former company he was at in Georgia it was "highly recommended" by HR that he attend 1 of the 2 major churches in the city to "make contacts" and what not. We couldn't do that, I'm not religious at all and for us as a couple that's just not how we roll.

What's ironic is as far as his politics he's conservative, and I'm probably middle of the road except for 2 issues.
Just curious, 'Georgia' implies 'not Atlanta'.

I'm a bit curious how Atlanta might be 'exactly the same' or 'not the same' as Dallas, in this regards?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
Spot on! I've never lived in Atlanta and I really think had we lived there or its outskirts we probably wouldn't have left so fast.

I hear it's more similar to Dallas than where we were (Columbus), but I don't have first hand experience. I do have friends from the Dallas area, New Orleans area, NYC (not NY state but city as the people I know from NY state tend to like their areas) and SoCal area who like Atlanta and still live there. I probably know an equal number of people who don't like it though.

I don't think Dallas/North Texas is for everyone though and not necessarily even for long time people as situations and lifestyles, wants, and needs change. For us though it'd be perfect...except for summar

Our experience in Columbus was VERY odd. I doubt it's typical, although I can find tons of internet people saying it was. It was more expensive, more classist, more racist (my oldest son is of mixed heritage and he was CONSTANTLY questioned and/or berated because of it there), and if you were not from there--you'd better kiss a lot of butt. I think because of Atlanta, Dallas, or really other MAJOR metropolitan areas attracting MORE people to the area you tend to have more open minded and FRIENDLY people. It's odd because Columbus claims to want to grow, but their treatment of soldiers (I'd seen things I was shocked, soldiers who WERE NOT rowdy at lunch being asked to wait longer for a table because townfolk came into restaurants and were given perferential treatment--of course I'm biased since I tend to think people defending your country and just common sense indicates first come/first served at no reservation places), it was filthy (my girlfriend thought the new Walmart was 10 years old--it was 3 months), and it was just totally like being thrown into a bad assbassward area in time and mentality. I'm sure there are people that move there and love it, maybe even some from more progressive areas (so far anyone I know from a more progressive area or education LEFT). I know it sounds witchy, but it was just a very eye opening experience for us--and we have family in rural Louisiana which if anyone has spent time there knows that would be a shocker to most.

Last edited by USA_Mom; 04-07-2012 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer question

Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 AM

307 posts, read 531,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Only in the South.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
Only in the South.
So your claim is that "southern", culturally that term doesn't hold well in DFW anyway, conservatives care less about families than small l liberals?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:41 AM

307 posts, read 531,645 times
That's why I said Texas is just north of the tea party. It certainly doesn't compare to Lousiana, where head of the KKK David Duke got most of the white votes in his bid to become governor, or Mississippi, or South Carolina.

Former Rep. Alan Grayson said the Republican plan for Healthcare reform was “‘Don’t get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly.’”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas