Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:38 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,054,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
To the OP (for the topic of this thread)....'athiests'....why go to that extreme? Can't you just stop at the 'not interested in religion' part? Athiests is kind of 'hand in hand' with the extremely evangical. Just adamant about a belief system, which is basically athiests' problem with religion in the first place, so mimicking it in another form. I don't get it.
How can atheists be adamant about a belief system when atheism is defined by the absence of a belief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
How can atheists be adamant about a belief system when atheism is defined by the absence of a belief?
It's the belief that God doesn't exist.

It's adhering to a belief system in my book. I'm not against that, but it's yet another strong belief. I place them both fanatical in their own set of beliefs.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 PM

104 posts, read 250,661 times
Quote:

It's adhering to a belief system in my book. I'm not against that, but it's yet another strong belief. I place them both fanatical in their own set of beliefs.
Actually Atheists believe for the most part in the scientific method, which is why most of us, (scientists) are Atheists! There is nothing fanatical about it, if something doesn't pass through standard discovery methods, we generally think it is not true!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
No, it's not. Few atheists claim to be certain that God doesn't exist. Even Richard Dawkins stated he wasn't absolutely certain.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
No, it's not. Few atheists claim to be certain that God doesn't exist. Even Richard Dawkins stated he wasn't absolutely certain.
If a person isn't sure if God exists or not, they're 'agnostic'. So, Richard Dawkins is agnostic, if that's what he said.

'Athiests' have a firm belief that God doesn't exist.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM

104 posts, read 250,661 times
Atheists, have a lack of theology! Hence the name! This doesn't imply a certainty, what it means is the burden of proof is on the believer, and we don't believe the evidence holds up!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,502 times
Quote:

Oh fer pete's sake, I guess I'm "fanatical" in my belief that Unicorns don't exist, much to my daughter's chagrin.

There are people who are "not religious" who are ayeholes about it, but most people who are "not religious" generally don't talk much about it unless someone else decides to jump down their throat. Ditto on people who are rather devout in following their religious beliefs - some are ayeholes, most are just regular people to whom their beliefs are a major core of their lives, but don't hold up flashing neon signs advertising that fact and won't talk much about it unless you ask them to.

I dunno, I always figured if I live my life in a way that earns people's respect, that should be pretty good, and if certain people decide they don't like me because I don't think or dress or believe what they think I should, that's their problem, not mine.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
If a person isn't sure if God exists or not, they're 'agnostic'. So, Richard Dawkins is agnostic, if that's what he said.

'Athiests' have a firm belief that God doesn't exist.
Wrong. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive and usually go together. What you're describing is a gnostic atheist.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
Actually Atheists believe for the most part in the scientific method, which is why most of us, (scientists) are Atheists! There is nothing fanatical about it, if something doesn't pass through standard discovery methods, we generally think it is not true!
Wow. We agree on something. That means a polar magnetic field reversal must be at hand!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:36 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
What a CROCK?!
Any details or just emotion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas