U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 AM

1,283 posts, read 823,138 times
Quote:
Richardson has more retail space than the population can support, I think. This is nothing new though.
No of course not. Half those places were dead the moment they were built. BTW, Fairview, I'm looking at you. You follow the same model, 10 years down the line you get the same result.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 AM

15,226 posts, read 12,780,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Which is why I would never have bought a house backing up to a shopping center. I hope Alamo attracts some other interesting tenants to Richardson Heights shopping center.
Agreed on both points.

Personally I'd love to see Taj Mahal Imports bite the dust. That place is dirty, filthy, and disgusting.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 AM

15,948 posts, read 24,966,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I think some of the older strip malls/commercial in Richardson and Plano meet my definition of 'hood' more than the actual neighborhoods do. An example would be where Harbor Freight is in Richardson near an Applebees - it's a giant nasty parking lot that could use a repaving and has less vegitation than the Sahara Desert, and probably has 3 or 4 legitimate stores out of 30 storefronts and half the stores open are those "we buy gold" stores. But the neighborhoods and houses around it are all great. I'm still surprised that those cities allowed such awful strip malls to be built. City planners must have been on drugs in the '70s and '80s. "Great job building all those beautiful houses. Now let's throw in a strip mall that looks like a Soviet gulag, because that's where people want to eat and shop."

to paraphrase Dave Chapelle: "gold store, title store, gold store, fast food, title store" - are you taking me to an older North Dallas strip mall?

The northern suburbs continued the 'grid model' of 'buffer zoning' which started in North Dallas e.g. you have a major intersection with strip malls on all four corners - maybe gas stations on the actual corner - then behind that you will have apartments then maybe some duplexes, then single family.

Sometimes the retail holds up (Preston/Royal) and sometimes it doesn't (Coit/Spring Valley) - although I think most of the single-family homes have held up fairly well (with some exceptions to the south) around the latter. The apartments have not fared so well.

I had to go up Josey to a play-off game at Carrollton Creekview High last fall and it was very interesting to see how the corners were in transition from the oldest to the newest as I went north (Valwood, Belt Line, Keller Springs, Frankford etc)...to me this is just a consequence of sprawl. In this case I could also see that some of the single family homes were suffering the same consequences.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 AM

10,013 posts, read 10,133,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The northern suburbs continued the 'grid model' of 'buffer zoning' which started in North Dallas e.g. you have a major intersection with strip malls on all four corners - maybe gas stations on the actual corner - then behind that you will have apartments then maybe some duplexes, then single family.

Sometimes the retail holds up (Preston/Royal) and sometimes it doesn't (Coit/Spring Valley) - although I think most of the single-family homes have held up fairly well (with some exceptions to the south) around the latter. The apartments have not fared so well.

I had to go up Josey to a play-off game at Carrollton Creekview High last fall and it was very interesting to see how the corners were in transition from the oldest to the newest as I went north (Valwood, Belt Line, Keller Springs, Frankford etc)...to me this is just a consequence of sprawl. In this case I could also see that some of the single family homes were suffering the same consequences.
Actually Coit/Spring Valley has held up nicely, just not in the way it was probably intended. Its almost entirely Mexican/Central American businesses.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:38 PM

9 posts, read 22,679 times
My husband and I have lived in Richardson for 18 years. It's not "hood" at all. In fact, in the 80's-90's, Richardson was considered very uppity and snobby. We live in the Fairways of Sherrill Park. We have a very close-knit community with a very active HOA. There is a little petty crime, i.e.- burglary of vehicles from time to time, but where do the crooks always go? To THE NICE AREAS. Your friend is nuts. We own three houses in Richardson and we've NEVER had any problems what-so-ever.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM

3,775 posts, read 2,878,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Chick View Post
In fact, in the 80's-90's, Richardson was considered very uppity and snobby.
LOL By who?

Sorry, Plano and Highland Park have had a lock on uppity and snobby for 30 years now, not Richardson.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 AM

377 posts, read 238,365 times
Default Where Richardson, Plano and Garland Meet

Jupiter and Campbell Road area. Moved there from Potomac, Maryland. 1990-2005. Loved every minute of it. Felt like a real Texan. Changed me for the better forever. 3 ISD's, Garland, Plano, Richardson. Did all my culture around Hillcrest. Could get everywhere from Creekbend Estates where I lived. Just remember it's Dallas County that's important. Get familiar with the Dallas County infrastructure.

Now I'm back since 2005 to Montgomery County, Maryland near my hometown Capitol Hill, USA.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 AM

394 posts, read 272,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne_ View Post
I told a friend who lived there for a couple of years and her reply was "Whaaat? Why?? Richardson is not the place to raise a child, its 'too hood' ".
LOL. You want 'hood', go down to Oak Cliff. I don't even go there in the daytime.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,253,912 times
Sigh. Here come the Oak Cliff haters on a Richardson thread. They never rest. Just as well. It's starting to get too crowded now anyway.

Parking Battle Looms In Bishop Arts District CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Parking concerns grow with Oak Cliff

Old 08-04-2012, 05:01 PM

394 posts, read 272,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Sigh. Here come the Oak Cliff haters on a Richardson thread. They never rest. Just as well. It's starting to get too crowded now anyway.

Parking Battle Looms In Bishop Arts District CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Parking concerns grow with Oak Cliff
Not 'hating', just stating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas