Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,384,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
Cabrini Green - the projects in Chicago are not germane to this discussion.

I lived in Richardson for a little while. And I've lived in Plano for a while longer.

I've also lived in real hoods. Places where it's normal to go to sleep at night to the sound of gunfire, sirens, and wake up to signs appearing for witnesses and cops canvassing the entire block. Places with hookers on street corners, drugs everywhere, and worse.

There's simply no comparison.

When people talk about the Hood around Plano, Richardson etc. they sound deluded to me. Check out the violent crime rate in these areas and then we can talk hoods.

What you probably mean is not hood in the context of Plano and Richardson. You probably mean working class hispanics with older houses and trucks who perhaps are not legal.
Yes, exactly! I've been in hoods back east where there are 3 obvious things wherever you go: violence, despair, and desperation. I have not seen that in any north Dallas suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
In my neighborhood in Richardson we don't even have many blue-collar Hispanics driving older trucks or single moms trying to make it on the average salary. I don't know why people think of that when they think of Richardson; the population in Richardson doubles during the daytime so if you're out and about on a weekday, the odds are outstanding that the people you encounter in Richardson don't actually live there.

WTH.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 PM

105 posts, read 329,493 times
I chose Plano and I'm happy I did. But I did get a chance to ride around Richardson and still didn't find the hood.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,706,838 times
I swear I giggle every time I see the title on this thread.

I know the general area around Breckinridge park is pretty darn nice. But tonite my driver called in sick so I delivered all evening. I got to drive around streets in neighborhoods I haven't been in before. Dang but it's nicer than I even realized. There are some absolutely charming neighborhoods along East Renner. Lots and lots of trees and even the apartment complex has this beautiful creek running thru the middle of it.

Hood is definitely not what I'd think of when I hear Richardson.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM

482 posts, read 941,889 times
Definitely not hood. Older homes with mature landscaping, which I love...a few rough patches off of Coit, but the areas close to UTD are fine.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 PM

5,254 posts, read 6,350,894 times
I think some of the older strip malls/commercial in Richardson and Plano meet my definition of 'hood' more than the actual neighborhoods do. An example would be where Harbor Freight is in Richardson near an Applebees - it's a giant nasty parking lot that could use a repaving and has less vegitation than the Sahara Desert, and probably has 3 or 4 legitimate stores out of 30 storefronts and half the stores open are those "we buy gold" stores. But the neighborhoods and houses around it are all great. I'm still surprised that those cities allowed such awful strip malls to be built. City planners must have been on drugs in the '70s and '80s. "Great job building all those beautiful houses. Now let's throw in a strip mall that looks like a Soviet gulag, because that's where people want to eat and shop."

to paraphrase Dave Chapelle: "gold store, title store, gold store, fast food, title store" - are you taking me to an older North Dallas strip mall?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I think some of the older strip malls/commercial in Richardson and Plano meet my definition of 'hood' more than the actual neighborhoods do. An example would be where Harbor Freight is in Richardson near an Applebees - it's a giant nasty parking lot that could use a repaving and has less vegitation than the Sahara Desert, and probably has 3 or 4 legitimate stores out of 30 storefronts and half the stores open are those "we buy gold" stores. But the neighborhoods and houses around it are all great. I'm still surprised that those cities allowed such awful strip malls to be built. City planners must have been on drugs in the '70s and '80s. "Great job building all those beautiful houses. Now let's throw in a strip mall that looks like a Soviet gulag, because that's where people want to eat and shop."

to paraphrase Dave Chapelle: "gold store, title store, gold store, fast food, title store" - are you taking me to an older North Dallas strip mall?
Richardson has more retail space than the population can support, I think. This is nothing new though.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,411,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Richardson has more retail space than the population can support, I think. This is nothing new though.
I'm still trying to figure out how that movie theater is going to fit in an old Pep Boys.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how that movie theater is going to fit in an old Pep Boys.
Me too.

The people on Devonshire are pissed, too. There's quite a bit of NIMBY rumbling.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,411,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Me too.

The people on Devonshire are pissed, too. There's quite a bit of NIMBY rumbling.
Which is why I would never have bought a house backing up to a shopping center. I hope Alamo attracts some other interesting tenants to Richardson Heights shopping center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas