Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times

Advertisements

Glad I'm not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 AM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times
We, collectively, are morons and it shows in our driving.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:16 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
I must be immune to all the awful driving, as I've driven here all my life and haven't had any issues. I wish I could just say it was bad luck, but 3 accidents in one year would be spectacularly bad luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,245 times
Completely agree. In my opinion, it is part of a general libertarian attitude that shades into lawlessness. Succinctly expressed as: "Who is The Man to tell me what I can or can't do with my vehicle?"

There could be severe penalties for carrying unsecured loads, but there aren't. I couldn't believe my eyes, the first weeks here, how many ratty old pickups there are carrying around loads that are one big pothole away from flying onto the highway.

There could be big penalties for texting, but there aren't.

There could be big penalties for driving uninsured, but there aren't. As for those crazy Boston and NY drivers, the uninsured-motorist rate is 4% in MA and 5% in NY (the two lowest). In Dallas, the uninsured-motorist rate, at 25%, is closer to the two worst states, Mississippi (28%) and New Mexico (28%).

I've heard multiple out-of-state transplants -- coming from other big cities with crazy drivers -- swear that they will not or cannot brave the Dallas freeways. It is worse, absolutely. The absolute fear of death is ever-present.

On the plus side, the draconian enforcement in school zones is a good thing.

Links:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ers/50363390/1
TexasSure program finds about 25 percent of vehicles uninsured in Dallas County | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 04-08-2012, 06:58 PM

621 posts, read 1,332,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
No, this isn't about traffic congestion. I have never in my life seen such a bunch of no-driving idiots in my life. I figured avoiding the freeways would be the way to go but I'm not so sure. I have been living here for barely a year and have been hit three times with some other close calls none of which were my fault.

The first time, some guy spun out on a wet road and hit me. I figured the damage wasn't bad enough to call the cops so I just got his insurance information. Bad move; it turned out to be fake.

The second time, some guy who I think was drunk crossed the white lines while turning and plowed into the side of my car. Having learned my lesson, I called the cops. I had barely got the 911 dispatcher on the phone when he hopped in his truck and took off. I gave her the license plate and did a report and all that but have yet to hear back from a detective like I was told I would. No hurries, it's not like hit-and-run drivers are a big deal...

Then tonight, I was turning left near my house. I had my turn signal on a block prior, but apparently I didn't turn fast enough because the person behind me laid on the horn and then bumped me while trying to pass. Of course they drove off. I tried to follow but there were other cars between and I lost track of which one hit me. Luckily though it didn't do any damage except roughing up the paint a little.

This is just absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if I've just had terrible luck recently or if I can expect to get hit several times a year. It certainly didn't happen in East Texas. In almost 20 years, I had one minor collision when I was 17 and had a drunkard hit my truck while it was parked and I was in the store.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Public transportation isn't an option. As inconvenient as it would be, I think I should trade the car in for a dump truck. It will cost a fortune to fuel it and parking will be a nightmare, but the *******s who hit me will take the vast majority of the damage. What do you guys think?
I agree 100% the people here drive like morons!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
No, this isn't about traffic congestion. I have never in my life seen such a bunch of no-driving idiots in my life. I figured avoiding the freeways would be the way to go but I'm not so sure. I have been living here for barely a year and have been hit three times with some other close calls none of which were my fault.

The first time, some guy spun out on a wet road and hit me. I figured the damage wasn't bad enough to call the cops so I just got his insurance information. Bad move; it turned out to be fake.

The second time, some guy who I think was drunk crossed the white lines while turning and plowed into the side of my car. Having learned my lesson, I called the cops. I had barely got the 911 dispatcher on the phone when he hopped in his truck and took off. I gave her the license plate and did a report and all that but have yet to hear back from a detective like I was told I would. No hurries, it's not like hit-and-run drivers are a big deal...

Then tonight, I was turning left near my house. I had my turn signal on a block prior, but apparently I didn't turn fast enough because the person behind me laid on the horn and then bumped me while trying to pass. Of course they drove off. I tried to follow but there were other cars between and I lost track of which one hit me. Luckily though it didn't do any damage except roughing up the paint a little.

This is just absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if I've just had terrible luck recently or if I can expect to get hit several times a year. It certainly didn't happen in East Texas. In almost 20 years, I had one minor collision when I was 17 and had a drunkard hit my truck while it was parked and I was in the store.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Public transportation isn't an option. As inconvenient as it would be, I think I should trade the car in for a dump truck. It will cost a fortune to fuel it and parking will be a nightmare, but the *******s who hit me will take the vast majority of the damage. What do you guys think?
You need to learn how to drive! You're no doubt causing other drivers to wreck into you. Just think how many times you've caused other drivers to crash and you didn't even know it...

Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Walter Benjamin, I couldn't agree more. I think the police need to check their priorities. They'll set up traps to pull over speeders doing a little over on the freeways when they're usually the best drivers, but they don't seem too worried about hit-and-run drivers, uninsured drivers, or drivers talking on the phone or texting. I guess concentrating on the latter doesn't pay the bills even if it's in the public's best interest.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 AM

105 posts, read 330,452 times
is it anything like driving in New York? I drove up there one year and I have to say that was the WORST driving experience in my life. Those people drive like morons. What baffles me the most is the amount of car horns you will hear blaring regardless of how long you've been in standstill traffic. Its obvious traffic isnt going to move, so why keep honking as if its going to help? It just makes people more irritated!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne_ View Post
is it anything like driving in New York? I drove up there one year and I have to say that was the WORST driving experience in my life. Those people drive like morons. What baffles me the most is the amount of car horns you will hear blaring regardless of how long you've been in standstill traffic. Its obvious traffic isnt going to move, so why keep honking as if its going to help? It just makes people more irritated!
If you are referring to NYC then yes I agree, it's about as crazy as driving in DFW. But thats a densely packed city! Whats the excuse in the suburbs of Dallas!!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 AM

325 posts, read 756,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
If you are referring to NYC then yes I agree, it's about as crazy as driving in DFW. But thats a densely packed city! Whats the excuse in the suburbs of Dallas!!
Too much hp, too many in-car distractions, too many people that refuse to miss an off ramp because adding an additional minute of travel time to their destination would be too inconvenient....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas