U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 AM

222 posts, read 115,572 times
Insecure Bubbas in F-150s, Plano soccer moms on the phone behind the wheels of huge Suburbans, texting teens from Highland Park behind the wheel of the parents BMW, it all adds up to dangerous driving conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM

752 posts, read 580,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, but I visit Dallas frequently and I've also lived in East Texas before: Are you SURE you're not just still "driving like an East Texan" even though you now live in one of the biggest, most traffic heavy cities in the USA? I ask because I know everything from the pace of life to the speed limit can be a whole lot slower in any part of East Texas than it is in Dallas.
Well, I came from Houston (more traffic nightmares in my opinion due to less freeways to use to get around and also less people working in the suburbs vs. downtown) and I agree with the OP. I don't know what it is, but the drivers here are absolutely insane. Cutting people off, tailgating if you won't go 20 miles over the speed limit, just super-aggressive driving (yes, we know you are so important that you MUST arrive at your destination 30 seconds before the rest of us) all around.

This is the one thing I like better about Houston than Dallas. The drivers.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 AM

752 posts, read 580,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
Be grateful you don't live in Houston. Those fools drive like nuts. Well, most of them.
We should start a huge Houston Drivers vs. Dallas Drivers thread on the Texas forum!

It seems a lot worse in Dallas to me but maybe it's a combination of crappy drivers and not knowing my way around too well.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM

92 posts, read 177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
No, this isn't about traffic congestion. I have never in my life seen such a bunch of no-driving idiots in my life. I figured avoiding the freeways would be the way to go but I'm not so sure. I have been living here for barely a year and have been hit three times with some other close calls none of which were my fault.

The first time, some guy spun out on a wet road and hit me. I figured the damage wasn't bad enough to call the cops so I just got his insurance information. Bad move; it turned out to be fake.

The second time, some guy who I think was drunk crossed the white lines while turning and plowed into the side of my car. Having learned my lesson, I called the cops. I had barely got the 911 dispatcher on the phone when he hopped in his truck and took off. I gave her the license plate and did a report and all that but have yet to hear back from a detective like I was told I would. No hurries, it's not like hit-and-run drivers are a big deal...

Then tonight, I was turning left near my house. I had my turn signal on a block prior, but apparently I didn't turn fast enough because the person behind me laid on the horn and then bumped me while trying to pass. Of course they drove off. I tried to follow but there were other cars between and I lost track of which one hit me. Luckily though it didn't do any damage except roughing up the paint a little.

This is just absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if I've just had terrible luck recently or if I can expect to get hit several times a year. It certainly didn't happen in East Texas. In almost 20 years, I had one minor collision when I was 17 and had a drunkard hit my truck while it was parked and I was in the store.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Public transportation isn't an option. As inconvenient as it would be, I think I should trade the car in for a dump truck. It will cost a fortune to fuel it and parking will be a nightmare, but the *******s who hit me will take the vast majority of the damage. What do you guys think?
I can understand your problem....my wife was rear ended twice and T-boned once. Some chick in downtown was dumb enough to make a left (no left turn there; one way street) from the middle lane and hit my wife's car. Luckily, the passenger side was empty and she was not hurt badly, but was visibly shaken up.
I can vouch that there are a lot of bad drivers out there. Bad is putting it mildly. Usage of blinkers is a tabboo around here....its for silly drivers, not the serious ones :-)

Also, what the hell is with drivers not understanding a yield sign????

Point being, carrying a gun is not a option, to drive smart is. I hate to give this suggestion but drive like an idiot when surrounded by'em!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 AM

770 posts, read 1,699,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
We should start a huge Houston Drivers vs. Dallas Drivers thread on the Texas forum!

It seems a lot worse in Dallas to me but maybe it's a combination of crappy drivers and not knowing my way around too well.
I think they are equally crappy in both places. I was in Houston 2 weeks ago and the traffic was insane on a Saturday afternoon. I also saw a car cutting across 3 lanes of traffic (no signal) to get to the left lane and almost ran someone off the road. As I passed the car I noticed a younger lady talking on the phone. Seen the same crap in Dallas too.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 AM

92 posts, read 177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne_ View Post
is it anything like driving in New York? I drove up there one year and I have to say that was the WORST driving experience in my life. Those people drive like morons. What baffles me the most is the amount of car horns you will hear blaring regardless of how long you've been in standstill traffic. Its obvious traffic isnt going to move, so why keep honking as if its going to help? It just makes people more irritated!
Miami tops my list of one of the worst cities to drive in.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 AM

249 posts, read 194,559 times
You should try driving in Kansas City. Here, the drivers aren't too fast, they're too slow, and yes there is such a thing! They still manage to have more accidents than the fast driving cities, never signal a lane change, and merge onto freeways at 30 mph, and block every lane until they get to the left lane where they sit and do 55. If you honk at them, they slam on the brakes on purpose.

I found Dallas driving to be very easy and awesome by comparison. The aggressiveness people had while driving actually made me much more at ease.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,490,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
Too much hp, too many in-car distractions, too many people that refuse to miss an off ramp because adding an additional minute of travel time to their destination would be too inconvenient....
Isn't that the truth. Cutting in with your blinker on when you are way back from the exit is okay and if you have enough space. But jumping right in at the last minute, oh heck no. I wouldn't dream of making it that inconvenient for the people in that lane. The people who do that must really think they are special. I just take the next exit and loop around.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,490,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
I think they are equally crappy in both places. I was in Houston 2 weeks ago and the traffic was insane on a Saturday afternoon. I also saw a car cutting across 3 lanes of traffic (no signal) to get to the left lane and almost ran someone off the road. As I passed the car I noticed a younger lady talking on the phone. Seen the same crap in Dallas too.
Yep, Houstonians love to cross three lanes, drive up and down grass embankments to and from service roads. Seems there's a horrible wreck on 45 everytime I go down, I've never seen so many rubber neckers in my life. Not to mention having to dodge couch cushions or a mattress in the middle of the road.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,214,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne_ View Post
What baffles me the most is the amount of car horns you will hear blaring regardless of how long you've been in standstill traffic. Its obvious traffic isnt going to move, so why keep honking as if its going to help? It just makes people more irritated!
That's one good thing about here. People seldom use their horns. When I was walking around Downtown Chicago, there was frequent horn honking. I thought it was strange and wondered what reason they could have for honking so much. Around here, if anything, they don't honk enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
You should try driving in Kansas City. Here, the drivers aren't too fast, they're too slow, and yes there is such a thing! They still manage to have more accidents than the fast driving cities, never signal a lane change, and merge onto freeways at 30 mph, and block every lane until they get to the left lane where they sit and do 55. If you honk at them, they slam on the brakes on purpose.

I found Dallas driving to be very easy and awesome by comparison. The aggressiveness people had while driving actually made me much more at ease.
I kind of agree. I despise people who drive in the left lane more slowly than other traffic. However, my problems haven't been on the freeways so none of that applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas