Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

Who works in these fields in dallas and can you say much about the pay and about the work itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 02:58 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
It depends on where you start out. The pay scale can go from 35k to 80 grand for someone that isn't an executive. THOSE guys make big money. But, if you are an educated marketing person with 10 years of experience you could make 60-70 K at least. Depending on the company much more or a little less.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Cool news. I am getting my masters degree in advertising. Hopefully I can minor in business management or marketing. I want to move back to Dallas because I like that city a bit more than Austin. So as of NOW I have no experience in marketing or advertising unless I find some place to do marketing/advertising volunteer work. Have any other suggestions?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:11 PM

I'm sure you've done an internship somewhere right? That's a good way to get into an organization. If you haven't done an internship, networking is your best bet. Attend some kind of function that is almost exclusively for marketing professionals, put on your VERY best face and charisma and chat it up, make friends. Because it's all about networking my friend. If you intern somewhere and make friends, especially someone that has some hiring influence, you'll almost be guaranteed a job when something becomes available. Volunteer work is great, it's similar to internship. But if you haven't done any kind of internship, it's the next best thing. Work hard, work late, show them you have potential and don't make any enemies. Even if there's an a__hole that gives you a hard time, let it roll of ya like water on a ducks back. People will see that and know you have great potential. Dress appropriate to the environment; don't dress below or above those at your level - again, you don't want to intimidate anyone. Just show them you are competent and willing to do what it takes. If you smoke, don't do it at work and don't let anyone know that you smoke (unless the VP smokes and you meet him/her on a smoke break lol). I hope some of this helps, I'm just tossing out ideas.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
Are you looking to work client side or agency side? Are you on the creative end, or account service or media end? The money will depend on which aspect of advertising you focus on.

If this is your first advertising job out of college, expect to get paid very little. Mid 30s at best. Unless you go client side, then you might make more. If you are more on a supervisor or mgmt. level, you'll get considerably more.

I used to recruit in the advertising and marketing field specifically, in Dallas. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I still have a lot of contacts in that arena.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Are you looking to work client side or agency side? Are you on the creative end, or account service or media end? The money will depend on which aspect of advertising you focus on.

If this is your first advertising job out of college, expect to get paid very little. Mid 30s at best. Unless you go client side, then you might make more. If you are more on a supervisor or mgmt. level, you'll get considerably more.

I used to recruit in the advertising and marketing field specifically, in Dallas. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I still have a lot of contacts in that arena.

Good luck!
Good advice!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Internship is completed towards the end of my program.

ALSO is the advertising and marketing field dog eat dog? I told this lady who was cutting my hair that I was going to get into that field and she looked freaked out and said "Oh that is a real dog eat dog field". I couldn't tell if she was being a rude jerk since she cuts hair for a living or if she knew of people in that field that related the message to her....

[quote=Synopsis;1499564]I'm sure you've done an internship somewhere right? That's a good way to get into an organization. If you haven't done an internship, networking is your best bet. Attend some kind of function that is almost exclusively for marketing professionals, put on your VERY best face and charisma and chat it up, make friends. Because it's all about networking my friend.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 PM

326 posts, read 962,308 times
If you like conservative corporate design Dallas is the right place for you. Creatives get paid next to nothing thanks to an oversupply of uneducated designers cranked out from local training facilities. It's been hard moving from a creative job in London back to Dallas. If you want to become a starving artist choose a more creative city

Old 09-18-2007, 05:02 PM

What is your definition of conservative corporate design? What education do you have? tell me more right now.

I am not interested in creative at all. I like the business management side to it. Tell me more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
If you like conservative corporate design Dallas is the right place for you. Creatives get paid next to nothing thanks to an oversupply of uneducated designers cranked out from local training facilities. It's been hard moving from a creative job in London back to Dallas. If you want to become a starving artist choose a more creative city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas