Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM

50 posts, read 60,350 times

Advertisements

I’m considering a position in Dallas, but after over a decade living in Manhattan with no car, the idea of suburbia comes with a lot of logistical problems. I’ve read many posts in the forum but I’m sure you helpful friends could give me good advice.

My job would be on an office building on Hgwy 77 by the Brook Hollow Country Club (close to the Love Field Airport too). My wife has not a job yet, but some prospects close to the Red Dart line.

Our idea is to rent for 1 year an apartment to know the area. We don’t have kids, so school district is not a problem, but looking for an easy commute, ideally walking distance (1.5 miles) to shopping/dinning, close to public transportation (my wife doesn’t drive yet), and close enough to a good and safe park/running route. We both bike and run every day.

So far I think the Uptown area could fit our criteria: on the map it does look like a short commute, the Katy trail is short but there, and seems you can go for a walk?
On the negative side I’ve been reading reviews about the apartment buildings in the neighborhood and it looks like they are focused for young recent graduates? And we are looking for peace and quiet.

Another question, and please don’t laugh, but does anyone commute by bike in Dallas. I know traffic is horrendous, but I can’t imagine it being worse than in Manhattan?

I’d appreciate any input from you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 AM

291 posts, read 673,331 times
I'm a native NY'er and lived in Uptown and Oak Lawn and the Village and have been able to get around without a car for about 5 years (My boyfriend does drive, however). I found Oak Lawn to be walking distance for more things that were important to me. Uptown had more restaurants and bars in walking distance but I did not like the recent college grads who got drunk every weekend and were loud and dirty and obnoxous. Oak Lawn had more things that I needed within walking distance such as the post office, grocery store, 2 pharmacies, decently priced restaurants, dry cleaners, and such.

Oak Lawn was rather loud as well but not as loud as where we lived in Uptown and it was mainly loud b/c we lived right on Cedar Springs as opposed to a side street that would have been quieter. Where I live now in the Village Apts. is almost TOO quite for my New Yorker tastes. I'm walking distance from Starbucks, two grocery stores, 2 dry cleaners, post office, and many restaurants.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,716,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newinnycus View Post
I’m considering a position in Dallas, but after over a decade living in Manhattan with no car, the idea of suburbia comes with a lot of logistical problems. I’ve read many posts in the forum but I’m sure you helpful friends could give me good advice.

My job would be on an office building on Hgwy 77 by the Brook Hollow Country Club (close to the Love Field Airport too). My wife has not a job yet, but some prospects close to the Red Dart line.

Our idea is to rent for 1 year an apartment to know the area. We don’t have kids, so school district is not a problem, but looking for an easy commute, ideally walking distance (1.5 miles) to shopping/dinning, close to public transportation (my wife doesn’t drive yet), and close enough to a good and safe park/running route. We both bike and run every day.

So far I think the Uptown area could fit our criteria: on the map it does look like a short commute, the Katy trail is short but there, and seems you can go for a walk?
On the negative side I’ve been reading reviews about the apartment buildings in the neighborhood and it looks like they are focused for young recent graduates? And we are looking for peace and quiet.

Another question, and please don’t laugh, but does anyone commute by bike in Dallas. I know traffic is horrendous, but I can’t imagine it being worse than in Manhattan?

I’d appreciate any input from you
I'm considering relocation from Manhattan and just finished another relocation scouting trip to DFW.

Traffic is bad, but not in the same way Manhattan is bad. Manhattan traffic is bad in terms of sheer congestion, but the roads and highways make sense. Congestion isn't as bad in Dallas, but the highways and the roads are confusing and will take some time to get used to. Also the distances are greater, while distances in NYC are miniscule. There's also massive highway construction going on in several places and it makes the traffic worse for the time being.

I would really have your wife get her license in NY ASAP before you move. I'm working on mine right now, taking driving lessons. While there are exceptions, DFW is not a pedestrian friendly place overall and the distances between places are so large that walking is just not a good way to get around. It would make things a million times better if she knew how to drive before moving- it will give you lots more flexibility. Public transportation is nowhere near as good as NYC- though it would probably be much less crowded.

On the up side, there should be lots of parks and places to jog wherever you go.

I don't know much about the neighborhoods around Love Field, but others can probably advise on that

Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM

428 posts, read 1,393,856 times
Uptown a no brainer.
Oak Lawn if you are the party scene type and very open to other peoples sexual preferences.

You will need 1 car (for you). I think your wife should be ok without a car in both of the areas.
Both areas are within the city. Your commute will be less than 10 minutes on city roads.

FYI, I live north of Love Field and I rarely go outside of the central city (35-75-635). It feels very urban.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM

764 posts, read 1,652,786 times
The only comment about riding to work would be the weather in the summer (I'm not going to even think about your route from PT A to B) - even at 5am, it can be upper 70s/80 and well over 90 til 9pm. Going home isn't bad, but unless you have a shower at work...

Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM

291 posts, read 673,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Uptown a no brainer.
Oak Lawn if you are the party scene type and very open to other peoples sexual preferences.

You will need 1 car (for you). I think your wife should be ok without a car in both of the areas.
Both areas are within the city. Your commute will be less than 10 minutes on city roads.

FYI, I live north of Love Field and I rarely go outside of the central city (35-75-635). It feels very urban.
I lived in Oak Lawn with my boyfriend and our baby and we were not into the party scene at all and so I don't know what that comment refers to. Uptown was more filled with drunken partiers every weekend when I lived there.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,159,652 times
Oak Lawn is the obvious choice for what the OP wants.

Depends on where you live in Oak Lawn, it's one of the best and most convenient neighborhoods in Dallas. If you live north/east of Lemmon, between the Tollway and Oak Lawn Avenue near the Highland Park border (near the Whole Foods on Lomo Alto), it's quiet, filled with tree-lined streets, and has lots of duplexes and older apartments that won't cost you and arm and a leg like the snazzy, new Uptown apartments. (You can also find some condos for rent in this part of Oak Lawn that you might be able to get a good deal on.) And it's super convenient to get to Love Field or just about anywhere else as it's next to Uptown, not far from downtown, and near the Tollway and Central Expressway.

Get on Google maps and look for streets like Bowser, Prescott, Herschel, Gilbert and Holland Avenue, between Lemmon Avenue and the Highland Park border. Everyone I know who lives in the area loves it. The cacophony of Uptown and Cedar Springs Rd. in Oak Lawn is nearby if they want it but they can get away from it as well.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM

44 posts, read 116,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newinnycus View Post
...We both bike and run every day.

...Another question, and please don’t laugh, but does anyone commute by bike in Dallas. I know traffic is horrendous, but I can’t imagine it being worse than in Manhattan?
It was over 100 degrees 40 days in a row last year. You won't want to be biking to work, you won't even want to go outside.

My advice is lease a car. Dallas drivers are not pedestrian/biker friendly.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM

50 posts, read 60,350 times
Thank you so much for all the advice. Texans are truly helpful.

So I guess Oak Lawn is pretty safe, including for a female to run at night?
Does the area west of the North Tollway get sketchier?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,159,652 times
Yes, the western and southern parts of Oak Lawn are a bit sketchier though that's starting to change as more developments go in and streets like Maple are starting to get a re-do. There's a big, new Kroger's opening there and there always seem to be new apartments going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas