Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Place to Raise Kids in DFW Area?
Grapevine 4 6.25%
Frisco 5 7.81%
McKinney 6 9.38%
Coppell 7 10.94%
Flowermound 6 9.38%
Plano 25 39.06%
Trophy Club 1 1.56%
Irving 1 1.56%
The Colony 2 3.13%
Southlake 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,627,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...google plano and then 'best place to live,' 'healthiest place to live,' 'best place to raise children,' 'safest city,' etc.

Forbes, CNN, Men's Health, etc, etc, etc, all seem to disagree with your fine opinion.
Well, that's in part because on those lists Plano is compared to other CITIES (Dallas, Fort worth and Arlington) rather than other SUBURBS (all the places listed in the poll). That doesn't mean the info isn't worthwhile, rather that it doesn't really address what the OP is asking about.

Which is why I keep saying "take those ratings with a grain of salt". Because telling me (or anyone) that Plano is great place to live compared to other places with populations of 250K+ isn't much use when many of the people considering Plano will be comparing it to places with populations of less than 250K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:10 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned

I will say again that Plano will fare differently in these types of rankings compared to 250K+ cities than when compared to 50K+ "cities" (villages/towns/whatever).

Personally I have nothing against Plano and, in the greater DFW area, think it's a perfectly good place to raise one's kids. But I don't think anyone can say it's definitively "better" than any of the other places on the poll list.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-16-2012 at 01:54 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,901,895 times
A lot of "homer calls of the week" in this thread.

Citing D Magazine as a source? Uh, OK. I bit on their 12 issues for $12 offer, and frankly, I think I overpaid. I love all their plastic surgery and divorce lawyer ads. I don't even find their restaurant reviews reliable - too skewed towards "hot" chefs and waaay-out-there concepts.

They have a certain type of person as their target audience, and it ain't me - or probably 90% of people just looking to raise a normal family.

Plano works for me, but there's no way I would pretend to claim it is "best" for everyone.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
A lot of "homer calls of the week" in this thread.

Citing D Magazine as a source? Uh, OK. I bit on their 12 issues for $12 offer, and frankly, I think I overpaid. I love all their plastic surgery and divorce lawyer ads. I don't even find their restaurant reviews reliable - too skewed towards "hot" chefs and waaay-out-there concepts.

They have a certain type of person as their target audience, and it ain't me - or probably 90% of people just looking to raise a normal family.

Plano works for me, but there's no way I would pretend to claim it is "best" for everyone.
I'm not a fan either, but the point is that any "list" of "best [whatever]" looks at a bunch of factors, arbitrarily assigns weights, and someone gets ranked #1. And as I've said, Plano's "#1" ranking against 250K+ areas would likely be a LOT lower compared to smaller 'burbs. Which doesn't mean much...unless (as the OP is) you're, say COMPARING PLANO TO SMALLER 'BURBS.

And even then, I think the best answer is to go to the places in question, get listings and look at them, drive around to get a feel for the area, and certainly ask on forums and such to get feedback but use that as one more factor to add to the equation. Anyone saying Plano is All That because the Forbes or CNN list puts Plano as #1 among all 250K+ places doesn't mean squat, other than showing "well, Plano's kinda nice for what it is." And in other news, the sun rises in the East. (Similarly, D Magazine saying that Parker and Highland Village are pretty nice is another "duh" moment).

Old 04-13-2012, 03:05 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,828,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedTelephone View Post
The issue is that my idea of "stone's throw" is much shorter than yours, because pretty much anyone living in D/FW with an automobile has access to all of these things.

Back to the OP: When it comes to raising young'uns, in my opinion there isn't a substantial difference between 'burbs like Coppell, Southlake, Plano, Frisco, or McKinney. Proximity to the parents' workspace will be a greater factor than the size of the local movieplex or location of the nearest chain restaurant.

Also worth consideration: North Carrollton, HP/UP, Lakewood, the nicer parts of Richardson, and Colleyville/North Bedford. Grapevine is good for convenient lake access and a fun, family-friendly Main Street area. Let's not forget Fort Worth! Sundance, Bass Hall, the trails, zoo, and art galleries are all top notch... and the people are very friendly.
I'm curious, what made you decide not to lead with this post instead of the one you actually started out with?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:47 PM

119 posts, read 350,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I'm curious, what made you decide not to lead with this post instead of the one you actually started out with?
A thousand pardons. I was distracted by an ongoing art project translating "Plano" to "Pervy" in its signature font as an expression of the endemic levels of suppressed emotion and desire.

I hope the OP will contribute his/her 2c. Most of the suburbs listed are practically identical. Why not consider a location with amusements for the kids as well as the parents?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,931 times
Yikes!!! We are looking to move to Plano. We have a five year old who is in Kindergarden. We are moving from Calif.. Any suggestions or advice? We have family in Sanger (too small) Little Elm and a couple of other towns. We chose Plano because of all the good things we have read online. But... if you know something I don't please feel free to chime in.

Thank you,

Linda/Lilly

Missingray@aol.com Please write me privately if you like. We are planning the move in December.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:59 AM

127 posts, read 164,146 times
Most of these places fit the bill. We are VERY happy with Plano. Plano offerd us affordable housing, excellent schooling, parks and trails, kids sports and activities etc but what we find most valuable is the fact that it provided us with a very convenient base that saves our precious family time. If we weren't this close to jobs, airports, shopping, dining, healthcare and other facilities then it would cut down on time, love and guidance that we can give our children. Not to mention that it keeps our stress levels in control, we had a longer commute with our previous town and it added undue stress which wasn't good for our health or our family. We couldn't be there of them as much as we can in Plano.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:27 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,434,862 times
Forney / Heath

Old 08-30-2015, 10:37 AM

127 posts, read 164,146 times
Plano also offered our children a chance to consider option of living at home while commuting to SMU, UTD, UNT, Collin College, Richland College, DCC and DPU. I even know people who commute to UTSW medical school, Osteopathy and dental schools. It makes college more affordable if you can live and eat at home.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that other towns in this poll don't have much to offer but highlighting why I love living in Plano and consider it a great place to raise our family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas