U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 AM

790 posts, read 1,821,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne_ View Post
I've basically wasted my whole day looking at apartments. Nothing seemed suitable at all. I tried the drive around idea and found nothing. I'm extremely frustrated. If I did find an apartment I did like, the reviews were pretty bad. It's like looking on the Internet for an apartment is a waste of time because everyone else flocks to them.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Eta: I've looked in Plano and Richardson and tomorrow I plan to try Carrollton and Irving
What was unsuitable about the apartments you looked at? What price range are you looking in and how many bedrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,149,470 times
I am moving to Dallas in a week, and have an apartment lined up already, but I started my search back in January. Although I admit, I already knew what apartment complex I wanted to be in, I kept checking their website every day until a floor plan that I wanted came available. As soon as it did, I grabbed it online and paid a deposit right away. I knew apartment demand in Dallas (especially Uptown) is high right now.

Having said that, many people I have talked to over the years, have told me that apartment living in Dallas (if you are young and single) is awesome. Just have to find the right apartment I think.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM

106 posts, read 163,513 times
I can totally relate to this. I am relocating to DFW in a couple of weeks and was in town last weekend doing an apartment search. I had done a ton of research on the internet, had my list of complexes in hand and was ready to "look and lease". Thankfully, I found an apartment that I absolutely love. But, if I had to do it again, I would definitely use an apartment locator service vs. spending all the time I did on internet search. Doing so will definitely save you a lot of time and frustration.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM

83 posts, read 115,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have found if you don't find what you want your price is too low. You may either need to adjust your expectations or pay more.

Demand is high, inventory is low.

You hit the nail on the head. I've gone from a budget of 950 and now raised it to 1250, next I may be upping again to 1500 because I've turned up completely empty. It's sad because I leave tomorrow and I'm to the point I may snatch anything tomorrow morning that will do 6 months until I find something better

I have a special needs child so schooling was really important to me and from what I understand I've missed a lot of deadlines to even think about registering him for private school.

A realtor informed me that it's a peak season due to schools ending soon and people want to move

Last edited by Shayne_; 04-15-2012 at 06:43 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM

83 posts, read 115,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
What was unsuitable about the apartments you looked at? What price range are you looking in and how many bedrooms?
I looked at some on Mccallum and those were not my cup of tea....there were some on Marsh lane that kind of turned me off too. Maybe I'm too picky? My limit was 950 but from what I understand that's too low for a good area. I really just want something until I can get settled In. I wanted a 3 bedroom because I will be taking care of a family member for a short period of time, but the couch may have to be her place to sleep for now :/

Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 PM

15 posts, read 15,357 times
I've lived in an apartment in Richardson for 2 years along the DART line. The apartment complex is fairly new and are all nicely upgraded. Some of the smaller apartments would fit into your budget. The complex is generally quiet, however, I would advise against living in a unit that faces the pool. It does get quite loud due to the way the building is built the sound echos. PM me for specifics.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM

430 posts, read 821,274 times
I would say no to anything on McCallum as well especially between Meandering and Coit. There are many nice houses in the area but the complexes themselves have really gone downhill.

There are apartments just west of Campbell and Coit on Lauder. I have no idea what the rent is but it's in the middle of a nice neighborhood where the houses go for 300K or so -- the only complex around. My parents live in that subdivision. It's also in the Richardson school district. Just a suggestion.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM

127 posts, read 115,086 times
I have lived here in LaSalle Apartments for two years and its been nice. They have good appliances and seem to be built well (not too bad on the electric bill so they must have good insulation). We are currently paying about $1050 for a 2 bed 2 bath, ground floor, attached garage. Its located right at Frankford and the Tollway which would put it right smack in the middle of all the areas you are looking for.
Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-16-2012 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Please send this type info to OP by DM only.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM

2,292 posts, read 4,255,416 times
Where in Richardson/Plano are you looking? At Renner and NorthStar in East Richardson, there are two complexes that everyone I know in them are very happy with. Amli at Breckinridge and Clearwater Creek. Plus they are super close to both the elementary school (PISD - good special needs program) and the middle school.

Short drive to 190/N. Garland (same as NorthStar) (shopping, turnpike access) and also to Renner/190. (turnpike access and an ER with doctor's offices, new hospital breaking ground this fall).

Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,303,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Use an apartment locator service. They are free for you (apartments pay their fee) and they can give you useful information!
Do you happen to have any specific cos. you can refer? I've contacted a handful, only got one response out of all of those and he never even followed through with the properties he said he'd send.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas