Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times

Advertisements

LOL I would ask where were you 7 years ago when we tried to sell out master up with a large yard in McKinney? I think they are out there, but it took us seven months because the only complaint we received about the house was the master being up and some about the laundry up, but honestly I prefer the laundry on the same level as the master since I was the one doing laundry.

I think you said you're renting, so by the time you buy I'm sure you'll find the area and the style you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 07:40 AM

97 posts, read 277,181 times
Thanks everyone - we have lots to think about. I hope it didn't come across as complaining! Just some observations from a newbie!

Your comments are truly helpful in this thread and many others. Appreciate your time helping a stranger.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 AM

NC to TX I just read your comments in the other thread and I think you'll be far less stressed if you just put off even for a semester to see what's what, get the kids settled, etc.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 AM

97 posts, read 277,181 times
Thanks USA! I'm thinking of waiting a full year to qualify for in-state tuition.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 AM

I hear you and I probably would too

Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoTX2012 View Post
Thanks USA! I'm thinking of waiting a full year to qualify for in-state tuition.
I would do that, too. You will save a LOT of $!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
we moved into house that owners had designed and built for themselves--and then divorced within 4 years
Living with them were teen+ daughters and a parent in a wheelchair at times from what we were told
the house works great for two of us who have adult kids and an older SIL--
we have master down and guest down on opposite sides of the house--both with attached baths--and there is half bath for company
two good size bedrooms up (one w/queen, one full beds)--two baths up--one attached--good closet space--especially in the downstairs guest room and large closet under the staircase

having two bedrooms down (if you can't get all 4 down and the gameroom/media rooms up) is the new go-to plan in DFW
as another poster mentioned there are many Asian families who will have older relatives living w/them and desire to have two beds down--or just in case you might want younger children down for time

that is hard floorplan to find in some areas--
age of construction, size of the lots, the sq footage of the house overall contribute to the type of house plan that is built
many NEW homes are being built with this plan--so ten yrs from now with homes going on resale it should be fairly common
and the only-master down probably very uncommon in some areas

price point covers a lot of ills--the more you can afford to spend, the wider your search area...

WHERE is the landfill that is causing so much angst to the OP???

Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I'm nowhere near a landfill, kicking back in my single-story pier and beam 1957-model trad ranch on a quarter acre in 'hoodie' Richardson.

I don't care for the DFW area personally...I grew up here so I've earned the right to say that...but Richardson is definitely a gem in a sea of poo here.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM

127 posts, read 259,107 times
We were just looking at houses too. The Master bedroom being upstairs is a disadvantage in most cases according to our realtor which is why there aren't many with them. Also, keep a close eye on the AC in the two story house. I was shocked by how many newer houses didn't have two separate units (one for upstairs and one for downstairs). Its something I think is mostly necessary in the hot summers here. We ended up going with a single story house partly because of this issue.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
price point and age will likely dictate which two story homes have separate units for HVAC--

personally I know many people love the high, vaulted foyers that open onto second floor landing but those are just huge HVAC mistakes most of the time--avoid homes like that at all costs--
along with those that have two-story dens with double rows of windows (often facing the south or west) with NO roof overhang worth mentioning--
make AC control in summer time very difficult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas