Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
First off....variety of authentic chinese food? Dear God, remind me never to visit Kansas City (where I assume you're from). I find Dallas has a relative dearth of good Chinese food. Of course, my friends in San Fran or New York would laugh at the "quality Chinese food" I found in Chicago, so I guess it's all relative.
It really depends on where you are.

In Plano, Irving, and Richardson, you can find just about any kind of authentic Chinese food and excellent quality as well.

The rest of DFW, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

In Plano, Irving, and Richardson, you can find just about any kind of authentic Chinese food and excellent quality as well.

I've just started exploring Richardson, and am stunned. Homes built before 1985! That are less than 3,000 sq ft! I'm sure that means it's all 'hood, and the neatly mowed, trimmed and manicured lawns are just a clever ruse to lull me into a false sense of security.

I'll be checking out some of their Chinese restaurants shortly, and hope to visit the area near 75 soon.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

True story ... Malaysian food was not on my food radar at all until about 2 months ago. When my family and I finally tried it we all loved it. Chicken curry with roti is the family favorite. I was pleasantly surprised to find not one but 3 Malaysian places in Plano within 15 minutes of our house. Unfortunately one has closed since then, but I agree with the underlined statement.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Mvc

175 posts, read 183,609 times
Definitely agree about QuickTrip I am a regular there.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM

37 posts, read 30,421 times
7-11>QuickTrip

I can't support anything based out of Oklahoma.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:24 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent Minded View Post
7-11>QuickTrip

I can't support anything based out of Oklahoma.
What about Racetrac? I like that you can use the light pollution from the nearest Racetrac as a navigational aid after sunset.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
What about Racetrac? I like that you can use the light pollution from the nearest Racetrac as a navigational aid after sunset.
Not gonna lie, if I don't go to 7-11 (when I'm in TX), I always go to Racetrac

Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
That's crazy talk!! QT blasts 7-11 out of the water.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I've just started exploring Richardson, and am stunned. Homes built before 1985! That are less than 3,000 sq ft! I'm sure that means it's all 'hood, and the neatly mowed, trimmed and manicured lawns are just a clever ruse to lull me into a false sense of security.

I'll be checking out some of their Chinese restaurants shortly, and hope to visit the area near 75 soon.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/first-empero...cue-richardson

First Emperor is a great Chinese hole in the wall in Richardson. Across the street from Kirin Court.

DH loves it because the very reasonably priced entrees have far more meat than vegetables. He hates what he calls Texas Chinese Food (we are spoiled, growing up in Southern California). Texas Chinese Food is from the places where the only difference between szechuan beef and kung pao beef is the peanuts. Identical vegetable mix, identical sauce. One example is China Express on Arapaho.. bleh. I'm sure bad Chinese food is not just a Texas thing, so no offense meant. Personally I love vegetables, but it's annoying to pay $10 for some Kung Pao that's more zucchini and carrot than meat.

First Emperor has the standard "white people" fare, but they also have many more interesting items on their English menu. Tong's House on Coit has a very diverse menu as well, but I've been pretty disappointed in my food there - it's kind of hit or miss.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
That's crazy talk!! QT blasts 7-11 out of the water.
NO WAY!!! 7-11 has the best candy and it's from Dallas so it's a win win (for me at least).

AND THERE A TON OF THEM HERE IN CHICAGO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas