Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 12,440 times

Advertisements

Ok so i have spent about 2 years in Miami and am not really a fan was planning on moving back to NYC but may have a good opportunity in Dallas. I am looking for the good, the bad and everything in between. I am single,33 straight male with a 90lb dog who likes daytime outdoor stuff as opposed to being up til 3 am in a club -any and all advice is requested-I am very liberally minded,and like to find unique and interesting stuff to do.

my take in miami was it was a tourist trap-lots of fluff but not much quality (people or services)-Thanks in advance-T ps-

just to get a bit more insights to me- i am a HUGE classic car fan as disappointed by Miami in that there were exotics everywhere(veyron sitting next to me at a light in the rain) but not much in the way of old stuff with character am already looking for a 59 apache whether i go back to NYC or TX -Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 07:35 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
There is a dog park in Dallas and many of the suburbs are getting into the mindset that a dog park is a good thing. The park in Addison Circle in Addison even as doggie cleanup stations. I'd say that coming to Dallas your chances of finding a single female w/ like pursuits would be pretty good. Lots of ways to meet women depending on your interests. If you are into playing sports there are PLENTY of adult leagues for just about every sport there is. Even if you are not interested in finding a church to join many of the large churches have very active adult singles groups w/ events/activities for anyone. j

As for the cars, OMYGOSH YES! My husband and I own two classic muscle cars and there are all different car clubs around along w/ car shows on just about every weekend. Check out gaseline alley dot com for a listing of a few. You will see all kinds of cars at the shows depending on what catagories they have. Don't be fooled by not seeing a couple of Lambo's or Ferrari's everyday either. The people sitting next to you at the redlight here in a pickup could have a $200K car sitting at home in their garage. That is another thing, the garage . We know of several people that have garages around 3000 sq ft to keep their babies. I don't think you will be disappointed w/ the car situation around here at all. You might even find you a date by going to the shows

Old 09-17-2007, 08:50 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
I made the move from Miami and haven't looked back. But some people complain about no oceans/no mountains in terms of outdoor activities, so check out dfwoutdoors.com and that might give you some idea of the options.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
It's dog central in my neighborhood -- we have White Rock Lake Dog Park and Lakewood Pet Watch

I have a '66 Mustang and a '57 Buick Special and this is the home of Carroll Shelby (Woodrow Wilson High Class of 1940).

Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
In terms of neighborhoods with young and young-ish singles, and if you're looking for an apartment or condo, try Uptown, Knox-Henderson, some of the new loft/condo conversions in downtown, or near Addison Circle. The latter though, being in the northern part of the Metroplex, may be too suburban for you if you're looking for something closer to urban. But there are loads of young professionals in all these areas. In Uptown, you can be close to the Katy Trail (Friends of Katy Trail:)

If you're looking for a single-family home or something older with character, try East Dallas, Lakewood or even North Oak Cliff. You can live in what seems like a green, secluded neighborhood but be only 10-15 mins from Uptown/Downtown. In Lakewood, you can be close to White Rock Lake (Dallas Parks - Whiterock Lake)

You may hear suggestions to check out Frisco, Plano, McKinney, etc. because you can get a lot of house for your money up there -- especially compared to Miami or NYC. But those areas may be too suburban, new-construction for you and there won't be a ton of young singles around.

If you have any other questions regarding making the move from South Florida to North Texas, feel free to PM if you want.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 PM

62 posts, read 226,353 times
In addition to Addison's multiple dog parks, there is the free (OK, there's a *one time* $10 fee to get the membership card) Addison Athletic Club. In addition to the indoor and outdoor pools, basketball court, indoor lap track, racquetball courts, weight area, there are tennis courts and an outdoor volleyball sand pit across the street, plus lots of trails and parks.

Other outdoor events in Addison include the nationally renowned Kaboom Town (fireworks on July 3rd), Symphonic Saturdays during August, outdoor jazz on Fridays in July, Taste of Addison, Artfest, Shakespeare in the Park, and on and on. Our Oktoberfest celebration begins tomorrow night!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teverde View Post
Ok so i have spent about 2 years in Miami and am not really a fan was planning on moving back to NYC but may have a good opportunity in Dallas. I am looking for the good, the bad and everything in between. I am single,33 straight male with a 90lb dog who likes daytime outdoor stuff as opposed to being up til 3 am in a club -any and all advice is requested-I am very liberally minded,and like to find unique and interesting stuff to do.

my take in miami was it was a tourist trap-lots of fluff but not much quality (people or services)-Thanks in advance-T ps-

just to get a bit more insights to me- i am a HUGE classic car fan as disappointed by Miami in that there were exotics everywhere(veyron sitting next to me at a light in the rain) but not much in the way of old stuff with character am already looking for a 59 apache whether i go back to NYC or TX -Thanks again
My home in the M-Street/Lakewood Area is halfway between the Katy Trail and White Rock Lake Park. It's an especially appealing part of town for folks with active outdoor lifestyles. There's a popular dog park off Mockingbird Lane at the lake. Moderator cut: advertising . The M-Street/Lakewood area is close to downtown Dallas. Do you know if this is good for your work situation? It's a long drive to the Mid-Cities from here.

If you want something more dense, Uptown would be good. It is just across Central Expressway from the M-Streets.

Mommies and Daddies reign in most of the Dallas suburbs. Addison is pe

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-20-2007 at 11:38 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,350 times
Okay so I have a question, my husband and I are from miami and have lived here our whole lives, and we are ready to move to Dallas, TX. We are tired of miami, the humidity wheather, the people, the low pay and high cost. We want to move to a peacefull home in Dallas, soon to raise a family and of course we are young and also like to party... How is the whole year wheather in dallas? is it at least cold... Sad to say on xmas every year here in miami i go to the beach and I dont feel any xmas season. I hear the people are muchhhhhhhhh better in dallas than miami which I can agree on. Help!!! pls let me know asap! thanks to all!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Well this past February, Dallas and some nearby areas did receive over a foot of snow. I remember growing up in Central Texas on Christmas morning that it was 22 degrees outside. Seems pretty cold to me. But Dallas can get pretty cool in the winter. Dallas is a great area to raise a family. You have multiple suburbs and even inner city Dallas neighborhoods to choose from. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM

15 posts, read 26,209 times
Dallas is amazing. But it's known for its shopping centers/malls, restaurants, sports, and arts districts. Cultural and arts festivals are common and they are usually free. Cedar Hill State park is the only place where you can get some hiking accomplished. It has basic hills, forest trails, and a lake. You can travel up to Lawton and hike at the Wichita Mountains. White Rock Lake is a mecca for cyclists everybody wears spandex there.

Have you thought about San Antonio? That may be a better city for you since you enjoy the outdoors and nature. San Antonio is right near the hill country and Guadalupe river.

There is also Denver, Colorado. There is Knoxville, Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas