Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM

61 posts, read 99,710 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Looking for some opinions. My husband and I 30 and 27 are strongly considering relocating our family (3 children) from Maryland to Texas. Mainly due to wanting a change of scenery and cost of living. Together we make over 110k a year but we still dont live comfortably here. The housing market is ridiculous so we have put off buying a home to figure out where we really want to live. I originally wanted to move to Atlanta I figured being and African American family it wouldnt be such a drastic change. But then a few years ago a friend of mine who lived in KC moved her family to Dallas and she has fallen in love with the city. She thinks I might like it. And honestly when I think of Texas I dont think of a large African American community which isnt necesarily a bad thing. I would just like a melting pot where my kids wouldnt stand out like a sore thumb. So I guess my question is would Texas be a big culture shock after living a place like Maryland? Would we be able to live comfortably as a family of 5 on our salaries in Taxas?

PS. I have a visit planned for September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,004 times
The rule of thumb is to live within twenty miles from your place of employment.
The commutes within the metro can be brutal due to construction, traffic, and weather.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
OP I don't know if Dallas proper is on your radar or not, however, Dallas is both very diverse and less segregated than most big cities LA and New York for examples.

My guess is your family would like it here. For some context traffice here is worse than Baltimore but not nearly as bad as DC.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM

307 posts, read 531,858 times
The Dallas area has types of communities to fit most anyone. Like stated, your job locations would help narrow down your choices as far as deciding where you live.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks I am hearing a lot about the dreaded traffic but being from DMV traffic doesnt scare me much lol I commute about a hour into downtown m-f for work. Thats good to know its more of a melting pot then separation.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Even in the far-flung areas, not really suburbs more of an ex-uburb, my grandkids, who are Asian-American, have AA, Mexican, other Hispanic, Asian of all kinds of kids in their classes.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks SouthernBelle thats good to know!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAmErika View Post
Thanks SouthernBelle thats good to know!
It will be a culture shock but mostly likely in a good way. Cities in Tx are more like big towns, people are friendly and pretty laid back and like helping their neighbors. You get 4 seasons but winter ends in March. Summer is brutal so its the bad weather months but the other 9 months can have great weather and winters are not that cold other than when a strong cold front pushes this far south. I play golf most of winter to give you a gage. Traffic is well traffic but not as bad as where you are coming from. DFW is huge so be sure to live close to work though or the commute can exceed an hour each way. Houston and Dallas are two of the more integrated and diverse cities in the US. So you will see all kinds of backgrounds in your neighborhood or out and about the area you shop or eat out as well.

If you decide to come on down...welcome to Texas!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times
Dallas is nice because it really is more of a melting pot, typically, compared to Atlanta. Sure, there are enclaves of Asians in plano, Hispanics in Garland, Indians in Grand Prairie (??), but no matter what area you find yourself in, there will be diversity simply because folks want a decent commute and decent schools. Atlanta seemed very segregated to me in the sense that the northern burbs are "nearly" all white middle/upper class and the eastern burbs (I believe) were the "all" black middle/upper class. Here it's just ecomonics. As long as you can afford to live in an area, no one cares. Maryland is expensive and between the housing prices and income taxes you'll love the COL adjustment in Dallas. I moved from HoCo last fall so PM me if you have any more questions.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM

You guys are awesome thanks for all the incite its very helpful.

Carroll we are practically neighbors I take it you are enjoying the change?

John, if I can find a job I am out of here. I want to stay in the federal government for the benefits and job security. My husbands job can transfer but since he is an electrician and even being in the union they can sometimes have layoffs its better that we not relocate without me having a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas