Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 33,705 times

Advertisements

This is what my apartment locator told me the other day. I couldn't figure out why the prices for the apartments I am interested fluctuated with a high rate of variability. For all you scholars out there wondering how I define "high rate of variability", I'm referring to Floorplan A at Apartment Complex A being $1550 on Wednesday and then jumping to $1970 on Friday, only to reduce to $1690 the following Tuesday.

Despite these crazy antics, I've got a game plan. First, I'm a pretty indecisive person so I have several potential apartments on my short list. To help me make a decision, my apartment locator is going to check the prices on the places I want a day or two before I fly out. If any of those prices are out of our budget, and my locator doesn't think he can negotiate down then that apartment is off the list. Goodbye, sorry I never met you.

From the affordable places, I will visit the leasing offices and tour the model apartments. Layout, finishings, and amenities will likely distinguish the interiors for me. Externally, I'm most concerned with safety. But how will I know which neighborhoods are safe and which are not if they don't look like a scene from The Wire?

I've pretty much got my own assumptions, but I'm curious to here how other people define "safe/unsafe" especially for Dallas. We're already limited to the areas of Oak Lawn, Uptown, and Las Colinas. And Las Colinas is something of a gem when I look at a Dallas crime map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
I just went through what you are going through. Like airline prices is a good way to put it. I had never seen anything like this in other states. It's some sort of system that is relatively new (like maybe the past year?) that the vast majority of Texas apartments are on - it is a computerized system that changes rates almost daily based on availability, demand, who gives notice to move out that day, how much interest in a particular floorplan, etc. It is very frustrating to apartment shoppers. Some places will print you out a quote and tell you it is only good for 48 hours - the question is will the rent go up or down in that 48 hours? It's a gamble.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:19 PM

Oh. I didn't know about the 48 hour price lock....
That actually works out better for me since I will only be in town for 2 days and need to sign a lease before I leave.

Still, it would be cool to have something like Bing Travel that predicts the price change with some degree of confidence.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
As for the crime if you nfind a place where crime is nonexistant please pass it on. Crime is EVERYWHERE. Statistics are so screwy i don't bother with em. Just be aware of your surroundihgs and you'll be safe no matter where you go.
As for the rent jumping it's been that way for quite a while now [inn fact at my place our rent went DOWN instead of up

Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM

169 posts, read 433,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalanta View Post
And Las Colinas is something of a gem when I look at a Dallas crime map.
Las Colinas is in Irving, not Dallas. Hopefully, you were looking at the correct crime map.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,817 times
Safety is relative. You can give us a list of the neighborhoods you're looking at and we can give you a general consensus on whether or not the neighborhood is generally regarded as safe or not. The Las Colinas area in Irving is a great, safe place to look. Oaklawn and uptown are both great, safe places to look as well (albeit expensive). It is more upscale and more expensive due to increased interest in the neighborhood.

OP: What is your monthly rental budget? Also, where is your job located? In DFW, it's important to live close to your job, to minimize the commute times (the DFW Metroplex is larger than Connecticut and Rhode Island combined).

Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM

We've narrowed down to a few places that we like. Most are in Uptown and Oak Lawn, then a couple are in Las Colinas. I understand Las Colinas is in irving, but it's supposedly the best part of Irving. Also the commute to Childrens from Childrens should be about 30 minutes from Las Colinas, which is doable. But Oak Lawn and Uptown are our first choices. Our budget is $1700 for 2b/2ba

Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM

263 posts, read 410,641 times
Hi Dalanta,

Sorry for the tangential question - we will be starting the same process hopefully end May / early June for an August move. We intended to start and be there earlier but various issues have prevented that.

Are the apts in the area getting more expensive and / or getting harder to find as we get into the peak moving season?

Also, how does one get in touch with an 'apartment locator'? - seems like someone we could do with.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
Hi Dalanta,

Also, how does one get in touch with an 'apartment locator'? - seems like someone we could do with.

Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing. I've contacted several, with no luck in receiving a call back except for from one, and he dropped the ball and never emailed the listings he said he would (oddly enough since I have a healthy budget, impeccable credit and savings, and few, if any, limitations).

Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I've contacted several, with no luck in receiving a call back except for from one, and he dropped the ball and never emailed the listings he said he would (oddly enough since I have a healthy budget, impeccable credit and savings, and few, if any, limitations).
I'll send you a DM, but I have never been asked about my credit or savings. They just ask me about location, budget, and amenities. I honestly don't see why a locator would need that type of financial information from me. They're finding me the place; not ensuring that I will be qualified to buy it. Besides, if they refer me to a property and I apply (regardless of being accepted or denied) that boosts the property's desirability and gives them cause to up the price.

MovingtoDFW...I have no idea how the rental market ebbs and flows in terms of seasons. I have been told, though, that renters must give 60 days notice if they plan to move out. And now is about the time that leasing offices are getting notices from people moving out this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: