Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:08 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

To the OP, one tip I'd mention is the need for soaker hoses around the foundation of your home. Our summers can be brutal (last summer was one of the worst ever!) and if the ground dries out around the foundation of your home, it can crack and cause your walls to shift, plaster/paint/drywall to crack, etc.
Woah. Fabulous "Random TX Tip." Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
High school football (5A) is really a big thing in Texas. Go to your local game on a friday night in the fall. It's just fun.

Learn how to 2-step (not line dance) and take a trip to Billy Bob's in FW (or find a small dance hall out in the country). It an experience if you're not from Texas (and even if you're from someplace like Nebraska).

Go to the Mesquite Rodeo, the Fort Worth Stock show, or even the weekly team roping competition in Terrel. Real. Texas. Cowboys. (I'm stealing Mesquite's marketing theme.)

Someday take a trip to Schlitterban (Gruene, TX) to visit the waterpark and float down the river.

And, on a more practical note: When you get a traffic ticket, there are "Defensive Driving Classes" that you can take to keep the ticket from going on your record and increasing your insurance. (Not sure if they do this anywhere else in the country.)
Great "Random TX Tips." Thanks!

High School games? Huh. I'll check them out, as well as the others you mentioned!

Great tip about traffic tickets! I haven't had one in a long time, but if I get one, I'll keep that in mind!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Ok, I'm a transplant from 10+ yrs ago, so here are my tips for a newbie
1) avoid stepping on fire ant mounds while wearing sandals.
Noted.

2) no you can't go in the pool, get a suntan, etc here in Dec/Jan/Feb. Winter here is just windy, brown and cold.
Good to know.

3) Yes, you really need to water the foundation of your house 5-6 months of the yr....
This blows my mind, and is such a great tip.

4) that's not a parking lot, it's 635, 30, 35, 75, 183, etc.
LOL From what I'm used to, that will be an improvement.

5) Your neighbor might do this but PLEASE don't leave your dog outside all day with no water when it's 100+.
If that happens, my neighbor and I will have HUGE problems.

6) No, if you don't like the weather it will not change in 5 min. No clue why people here say that. It's very predictable weather here
I like predictable.

7) what religion are you and what church are you going to? (have an answer ready...)
I'm going to start thinking of a funny response now before I'm asked. (I try hard to not talk religion or politics. Sometimes it's not easy to avoid, but I do my best.

8) When you hear someone talking about a crime they heard about on the news, just nod and say "fry the sonofbitch" - you'll get along just fine.
LOL

9) If you hear the words Rick and Perry together, just shake your head, look troubled but silent and wait for someone else to go off about him
Roger.

10) Don't even think about drinking tap water in July, Aug, Sept
?? Great tip, but why? Drought? Guess I'm adding bottled water to my budget. Thanks!

11) Never start a sentence "As a liberal, my opinion is..." (you'll have to trust me here)
LOL I might, just for a laugh

12) This is a dry town you say?
Response in orange, since I haven't yet learned how to multi-quote on C-D.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Response in orange, since I haven't yet learned how to multi-quote on C-D.
Hopefully I didn't come across as too cynical. This wasn't exactly the best move for me, but I've tried to make the best of it.
I don't know how to "multi-quote" either and frequently do the inline reply of a different color, font, etc

Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,091 times
Just be you. If folks can't take that....then they aren't folks you need to deal with!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Don't wear black clothing outside during June-August. You will get overheated and could potentially have a heatstroke. White, or light-colored cotton clothing and a hat to keep your head cool are a must!

Defintiely agree with the poster who said you must test drive the commute before deciding where to live. There is no reason to make a lengthy commute in DFW since we have good places to live all over the metroplex. That being said, Plano is not the "be all end all" only place to live in DFW.

You must go to the State Fair of Texas at least once while you live here. Bring lots of $ and be hungry!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 PM

383 posts, read 733,167 times
Car travel related:

1./ Carry some water in your trunk especially during summer.
2./ Carry some MREs in your trunk when the temperatures aren't quite as hot.
3./ Carry a flashlight all year round in your car.
4./ Do not let your gas tank get below 1/4 of tank at any time.
5./ Build yourself a decent car first aid kit (the prepackaged ones are a bit meh...).

Sounds paranoid perhaps, but Texas is a very big place and I assume you will travel beyond Dallas at some point.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
5./ Build yourself a decent car first aid kit (the prepackaged ones are a bit meh...).

These seem rather unnecessary to me. If you are going on a trip towards El Paso sure, but there are Sonics and tons of grocery stores and gas stations everywhere. Why drink an old bottle of hot water when a cold drink at McDonalds is $1? I'd say carry a cell phone. Tow trucks are prompt and DFW is serviced competently by taxis.

Really, there are plenty of small towns with gas stations out on the interstate too, at least compared to other parts of the west (NM, AZ, KS, CO etc), so even then I'd say it's mostly unnecessary.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
Car travel related:

Sounds paranoid perhaps, but Texas is a very big place and I assume you will travel beyond Dallas at some point.
Well, I'd just say carry a mobil phone! But if you are taking a road trip, of course the above list is great...

One other thing, if you are male, wear a cap outside! But don't be like my DH; take it off in restaurants like a gent (my DH says caps give him bed head and he'd rather be rude than ugly....this, from a 62 year old man ...and they say "vanity, thy name is woman" )

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
One other thing, if you are male, wear a cap outside! But don't be like my DH; take it off in restaurants like a gent (my DH says caps give him bed head and he'd rather be rude than ugly....this, from a 62 year old man ...and they say "vanity, thy name is woman" )

HA- my hubby is the same way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas