Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,009,313 times

Advertisements

The weather is predictable in June, July, August, and September. Rest of the year it's variable, including sudden rain, storms, snow, sun, changes of up to 40 F in a day, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,546,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Oh, and don't freak out about the water shortages and droughts you hear about on the news in the summer... that happens every year.
Don't freak out about them...but please do adhere to whatever water restrictions are in place. We do have a limited water supply here and everyone needs to do their part to conserve. Even if we don't have restrictions, watch your use. Nothing drives me nuts more than seeing someone's sprinklers going on after we've just had three straight days of rain. And typically these are the first people to complain when the water rates go up

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM

663 posts, read 1,719,745 times
Take comparative advice with a grain of salt. It's not that people don't know what they're talking about. It's just that Dallas is very middle-of-the-road on a lot of things. It's drier than some climates but more humid than others. There's more pollen than some places but less than others. Weather is more predictable than some places but less than others. Traffic is worse than some places but better than others.

To someone from a smaller town out west, Dallas is a humid, high-pollen, high-traffic city while to someone from a city like Miami or Atlanta, Dallas is a dry, low-pollen, low-traffic city.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,881 times
Hey, I saw the post below and was curious...

I should be moving to Dallas from Jacksonville most likely in July for a job opportunity. I'm not the biggest fan of Jacksonville either. I've been here for a while and am excited to get out.

Was just wondering what made Dallas more enjoyable and what you didn't like about Jacksonville.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Uh, why not? I moved from Dallas to Jacksonville for a few years, and grew to hate it there because Dallas was simply better in nearly every measurable way to me. It's just a matter of pros and cons, and if someone was happier elsewhere, there's no point in staying in a place you don't like.

So, moved back first chance I got!

To the OP, one tip I'd mention is the need for soaker hoses around the foundation of your home. Our summers can be brutal (last summer was one of the worst ever!) and if the ground dries out around the foundation of your home, it can crack and cause your walls to shift, plaster/paint/drywall to crack, etc.

Florida is called the sunshine state for some weird reason, when the fact is we get far more sunny days in Dallas per year than they do, and watering is essential. Oh, and don't freak out about the water shortages and droughts you hear about on the news in the summer... that happens every year.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM

383 posts, read 730,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
These seem rather unnecessary to me. If you are going on a trip towards El Paso sure.
First of all if you're going to El Paso you should take all of the above and an AR.

But yes it is probably unnecessary 90% of the time for most people. I've had to use all that before though due to unexpected circumstances. Also 'use a cell phone' is great as long as you have coverage...

Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 PM

275 posts, read 414,813 times
Default It's not "the" I-35, the 635, etc.

We don't say or write "the" before our highway names or numbers. So, there's no "the I-35," "the LBJ" (which is aka 635), "the Highway 114," etc.

When I've traveled to California and Arizona, I was baffled as to why a "the" was necessary before "I-10" and other highways. After awhile, it was grating to hear the unnecessary "the" over and over . . .

Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM

764 posts, read 1,651,103 times
When you're driving out in the country on a 2-lane road and there is a large shoulder people will move over and drive on the shoulder to let you pass. Do the same and give a nice wave in the rearview mirror to let folks know you appreciate it. This is especially usefull in the rolling hill areas.(Only in Texas I believe).

Also, if you haven't been told, FM stands for Farm-to-Market. FM1820, FM650, etc.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM

14 posts, read 30,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
When you're driving out in the country on a 2-lane road and there is a large shoulder people will move over and drive on the shoulder to let you pass. Do the same and give a nice wave in the rearview mirror to let folks know you appreciate it. This is especially usefull in the rolling hill areas.(Only in Texas I believe).

Also, if you haven't been told, FM stands for Farm-to-Market. FM1820, FM650, etc.

Hey there!
Which rolling hill areas are you referring to? Any place close to Dallas? Also what does Farm-to-Market mean? As always, I have tons of questions

Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM

690 posts, read 1,724,231 times
Farm to Market means just that, The farmers would take their crops down the road to the store/market.
Thus getting the name farm to market. Also heard that definition in my Economics 101 class in college.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 AM

764 posts, read 1,651,103 times
Oh, there are "sort of" rolling hills when you head east of McKinney toward Greenville (or maybe it was by Lake Tawakoni?), for examle, but I was more thinking of the rollling hills of "The Hill Country" Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas