Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
We don't say or write "the" before our highway names or numbers. So, there's no "the I-35," "the LBJ" (which is aka 635), "the Highway 114," etc.

When I've traveled to California and Arizona, I was baffled as to why a "the" was necessary before "I-10" and other highways. After awhile, it was grating to hear the unnecessary "the" over and over . . .
That's right. We don't take kindly to any of those "the" down here! That's Californiacommie stuff right there, ain't I is right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 AM

219 posts, read 608,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
That's right. We don't take kindly to any of those "the" down here! That's California stuff right there, ain't I is right!
Not so much. Easterners usually add "the" before named highways like The FDR, The Turnpike (Pennsylvania, NJ and Mass), The Parkway, The Van Wyck, The LIE, etc.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Ok, I'm a transplant from 10+ yrs ago, so here are my tips for a newbie
1) avoid stepping on fire ant mounds while wearing sandals.
2) no you can't go in the pool, get a suntan, etc here in Dec/Jan/Feb. Winter here is just windy, brown and cold.
3) Yes, you really need to water the foundation of your house 5-6 months of the yr....
4) that's not a parking lot, it's 635, 30, 35, 75, 183, etc.
5) Your neighbor might do this but PLEASE don't leave your dog outside all day with no water when it's 100+.
6) No, if you don't like the weather it will not change in 5 min. No clue why people here say that. It's very predictable weather here
7) what religion are you and what church are you going to? (have an answer ready...)
8) When you hear someone talking about a crime they heard about on the news, just nod and say "fry the sonofbitch" - you'll get along just fine.
9) If you hear the words Rick and Perry together, just shake your head, look troubled but silent and wait for someone else to go off about him
10) Don't even think about drinking tap water in July, Aug, Sept
11) Never start a sentence "As a liberal, my opinion is..." (you'll have to trust me here)
12) This is a dry town you say?
In all seriousness, this is some pretty good advise.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
We don't say or write "the" before our highway names or numbers. So, there's no "the I-35," "the LBJ" (which is aka 635), "the Highway 114," etc.

When I've traveled to California and Arizona, I was baffled as to why a "the" was necessary before "I-10" and other highways. After awhile, it was grating to hear the unnecessary "the" over and over . . .
I used to live in CA, so I totally get that. It didn't drive me nuts, though (but I see how it could). There's actually a great thread on the CA board that explains how that came to be. I can imagine, with the large influx of CAs to TX, that it's annoying to TX folks, though. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
When you're driving out in the country on a 2-lane road and there is a large shoulder people will move over and drive on the shoulder to let you pass. Do the same and give a nice wave in the rearview mirror to let folks know you appreciate it. This is especially usefull in the rolling hill areas.(Only in Texas I believe).

Also, if you haven't been told, FM stands for Farm-to-Market. FM1820, FM650, etc.
Now that's fabulous advice! If someone did that to me, I'd wonder what was wrong with him and if everything was okay. In MD, you drive on the shoulder, you get a ticket. Period. There's actually a cop sting spot on my commute home where they nail people every day that get impatient and drive on the shoulder for just a few yards to get to an exit ramp that's backed up.

I hadn't heard of FM either, but I have an obsession with local produce so that's a super great tip, too! Thanks so much!!! (Oh, but what do the numbers mean [i.e. FM1820, etc]?)

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Oh, there are "sort of" rolling hills when you head east of McKinney toward Greenville (or maybe it was by Lake Tawakoni?), for examle, but I was more thinking of the rollling hills of "The Hill Country" Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Gorgeous!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Uh, why not? I moved from Dallas to Jacksonville for a few years, and grew to hate it there because Dallas was simply better in nearly every measurable way to me. It's just a matter of pros and cons, and if someone was happier elsewhere, there's no point in staying in a place you don't like.

So, moved back first chance I got!
Actually I took it to mean "compare out loud" Absolutely move if you aren't happy and can get away. But dang, if you're going to stick around someplace you can't stand, you'll just make yourself and everyone else more miserable if you constantly tell everyone how great the last place was.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Ok, I'm a transplant from 10+ yrs ago, so here are my tips for a newbie
1) avoid stepping on fire ant mounds while wearing sandals.
2) no you can't go in the pool, get a suntan, etc here in Dec/Jan/Feb. Winter here is just windy, brown and cold.
3) Yes, you really need to water the foundation of your house 5-6 months of the yr....
4) that's not a parking lot, it's 635, 30, 35, 75, 183, etc.
5) Your neighbor might do this but PLEASE don't leave your dog outside all day with no water when it's 100+.
6) No, if you don't like the weather it will not change in 5 min. No clue why people here say that. It's very predictable weather here
7) what religion are you and what church are you going to? (have an answer ready...)
8) When you hear someone talking about a crime they heard about on the news, just nod and say "fry the sonofbitch" - you'll get along just fine.
9) If you hear the words Rick and Perry together, just shake your head, look troubled but silent and wait for someone else to go off about him
10) Don't even think about drinking tap water in July, Aug, Sept
11) Never start a sentence "As a liberal, my opinion is..." (you'll have to trust me here)
12) This is a dry town you say?
LOL!!!!!!!

Have you noticed that the fire ant populations are declining? This is thanks to something the Texas A&M folks did. I think it has something to do with a competitor.

The weather thing is about Winter: Warm Today, Cold Tomorrow, Snow This Morning, 65 F this afternoon, etc.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Understanding "Loop 12" aka NW Highway, Buckner, Walton Walker, Ledbetter, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_S...ighway_Loop_12

Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
Don't believe the stereotype that DFW everyone is snobby and condescending. We were warned repeatedly about this when we moved from Houston. I think it was Houston's inferiority complex rearing its ugly head again. I find the people in DFW to be way more accepting of people of all income levels and very approachable and open. I'm sure there are pockets of snobbery but overall I don't see it. Houston seems much more divided in terms of the haves and have-nots. And the haves aren't hesitant to remind you of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas