U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,504,934 times

Advertisements

So many thing in life have to be learned the hard way, so I figured why not ask the locals... if you were to give tips to a new Dallas transplant about life in Dallas or TX, what would they be?

What prompted this question is that on another thread, a fabulous member mentioned grackles. Had I not seen that thread, I never in a million years would have thought that something like that existed, or that I should be mindful of trees in the spring and fall (which is where I naturally walk the dogs and park the car). And another mentioned the effects of TX heat on your car's battery, hoses, etc (since I know so little about cars, that was a very helpful TX tip for me).

Some things are just so unique to living somewhere that you really never think of it until you're in a situation and learn firsthand. Wouldn't it be nice to learn from others instead?

So what are your tips for living in Dallas, TX, or what did you find different there that you hadn't experienced elsewhere?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM

690 posts, read 1,484,677 times
A colleague told me one the other day that his mother told him: "keep a jacket in the auto year round".
You never know when the weather is going to turnaround. He said he does keep it as part of the survival kit in the auto.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,720,065 times
#1 tip Never- and I mean Never compare where you "use" to live to where you are now. It does nothing for you.

#2 tip When you move to another state think about all the positive's the area has to offer.

#3 tip If you consider moving to Texas- make note the saying " wait a few minutes the weather will change" is sooo true.

#4 tip You must visit the State Fair of Texas at least once!

#5 tip Yes everything is bigger in Texas- including your utility bills to heat/cool that big'o house. Along with your property taxes

#6 tip Everyone wants you to move the "their" town because it's the "Best" Town in Texas.

#7 tip ISD's are a "BIG" issue with most native Texans- along with "city" West HS/ "city" East HS- North "whatever" HS- vs "your" HS.

I love being a Texan- Ya'll come back now )

Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,105,481 times
Here is a recent previous thread with a lot of great useful tips for those relocating to the area, though there are tons of similar previous threads throughout this forum!

Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,819,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
#1 tip Never- and I mean Never compare where you "use" to live to where you are now. It does nothing for you.
Uh, why not? I moved from Dallas to Jacksonville for a few years, and grew to hate it there because Dallas was simply better in nearly every measurable way to me. It's just a matter of pros and cons, and if someone was happier elsewhere, there's no point in staying in a place you don't like.

So, moved back first chance I got!

To the OP, one tip I'd mention is the need for soaker hoses around the foundation of your home. Our summers can be brutal (last summer was one of the worst ever!) and if the ground dries out around the foundation of your home, it can crack and cause your walls to shift, plaster/paint/drywall to crack, etc.

Florida is called the sunshine state for some weird reason, when the fact is we get far more sunny days in Dallas per year than they do, and watering is essential. Oh, and don't freak out about the water shortages and droughts you hear about on the news in the summer... that happens every year.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,368,386 times
don't decide where to live intil you've tested the commute to and from work

Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM

578 posts, read 1,252,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post

#2 tip When you move to another state think about all the positive's the area has to offer.

#3 tip If you consider moving to Texas- make note the saying " wait a few minutes the weather will change" is sooo true.

#4 tip You must visit the State Fair of Texas at least once!

#5 tip Yes everything is bigger in Texas- including your utility bills to heat/cool that big'o house. Along with your property taxes

#6 tip Everyone wants you to move the "their" town because it's the "Best" Town in Texas.

#7 tip ISD's are a "BIG" issue with most native Texans- along with "city" West HS/ "city" East HS- North "whatever" HS- vs "your" HS.

I love being a Texan- Ya'll come back now )
Agree with #1. My friends here quickly tired of my comparing things here to how they were in GA. I am sure they are thankful I got the hint and stopped doing that!

Also I would add that you should never make negative comments about how Texas-proud the natives are...never ever.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 PM

766 posts, read 1,356,176 times
High school football (5A) is really a big thing in Texas. Go to your local game on a friday night in the fall. It's just fun.

Learn how to 2-step (not line dance) and take a trip to Billy Bob's in FW (or find a small dance hall out in the country). It an experience if you're not from Texas (and even if you're from someplace like Nebraska).

Go to the Mesquite Rodeo, the Fort Worth Stock show, or even the weekly team roping competition in Terrel. Real. Texas. Cowboys. (I'm stealing Mesquite's marketing theme.)

Someday take a trip to Schlitterban (Gruene, TX) to visit the waterpark and float down the river.

And, on a more practical note: When you get a traffic ticket, there are "Defensive Driving Classes" that you can take to keep the ticket from going on your record and increasing your insurance. (Not sure if they do this anywhere else in the country.)

Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM

719 posts, read 1,306,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
A colleague told me one the other day that his mother told him: "keep a jacket in the auto year round".
You never know when the weather is going to turnaround. He said he does keep it as part of the survival kit in the auto.
We're talking about Dallas, right? Why the jacket? Year round makes no sense. Even in Jan it's not generally "survival gear" here...

Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

719 posts, read 1,306,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
So many thing in life have to be learned the hard way, so I figured why not ask the locals... if you were to give tips to a new Dallas transplant about life in Dallas or TX, what would they be?

What prompted this question is that on another thread, a fabulous member mentioned grackles. Had I not seen that thread, I never in a million years would have thought that something like that existed, or that I should be mindful of trees in the spring and fall (which is where I naturally walk the dogs and park the car). And another mentioned the effects of TX heat on your car's battery, hoses, etc (since I know so little about cars, that was a very helpful TX tip for me).

Some things are just so unique to living somewhere that you really never think of it until you're in a situation and learn firsthand. Wouldn't it be nice to learn from others instead?

So what are your tips for living in Dallas, TX, or what did you find different there that you hadn't experienced elsewhere?
Ok, I'm a transplant from 10+ yrs ago, so here are my tips for a newbie
1) avoid stepping on fire ant mounds while wearing sandals.
2) no you can't go in the pool, get a suntan, etc here in Dec/Jan/Feb. Winter here is just windy, brown and cold.
3) Yes, you really need to water the foundation of your house 5-6 months of the yr....
4) that's not a parking lot, it's 635, 30, 35, 75, 183, etc.
5) Your neighbor might do this but PLEASE don't leave your dog outside all day with no water when it's 100+.
6) No, if you don't like the weather it will not change in 5 min. No clue why people here say that. It's very predictable weather here
7) what religion are you and what church are you going to? (have an answer ready...)
8) When you hear someone talking about a crime they heard about on the news, just nod and say "fry the sonofbitch" - you'll get along just fine.
9) If you hear the words Rick and Perry together, just shake your head, look troubled but silent and wait for someone else to go off about him
10) Don't even think about drinking tap water in July, Aug, Sept
11) Never start a sentence "As a liberal, my opinion is..." (you'll have to trust me here)
12) This is a dry town you say?

Last edited by BigD_JT_14221; 04-24-2012 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Added better tip :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or