Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 PM

30 posts, read 63,705 times

Advertisements

So I understand having backyard chickens is ok in the Dallas city limits. Does anybody know the specifics? Are there lot minimums and flock size limits? I'm assuming no roosters at all and of course if we were in an HOA it would be a no go but does anybody know any other details?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,757,301 times
No personal knowledge of this, but here is an interesting site that you may garner some info from: Pluck and Feather » Dallas Urban Farming, especially from this link listed: Dallas Backyard Poultry

plus info on all Dallas animal services for the city: Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - City Web Portal

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-25-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM

686 posts, read 2,427,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay3 View Post
So I understand having backyard chickens is ok in the Dallas city limits. Does anybody know the specifics? Are there lot minimums and flock size limits? I'm assuming no roosters at all and of course if we were in an HOA it would be a no go but does anybody know any other details?

Thanks!
The only real limit is that there can not be any roosters. Other than that, there really isn't a flock size limit that I know of.

Dallas Texas Chicken Ordinance - BackYard Chickens Community

Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,444,663 times
Here's a chat we had last year about chickens.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ken-coops.html

Google around to see if there will a coop tour again this year.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM

30 posts, read 63,705 times
Thanks so much for all the info! We are moving back to Texas this summer and have loved have chickens during our time here in VA. We were originally looking in Rockwall but no chickens in the city limits and so many properties, even those on several acres have HOAs or deed restrictions that we might as well be in Dallas and be able to have our chickens. A shorter commute would be nice too. I guess I'll be expanding our search

Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM

931 posts, read 2,125,183 times
I don't know the breed of chickens but some are quieter than others. My brother has 9 hens and has plenty of eggs. The chickens actually have personalities and do tricks to get treats.

Last week he went out of town and had no problem finding chicken sitters who got to keep the eggs.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,521,773 times
Our next door neighbors have chickens...this is in the M Street area. Pretty cool

Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,757,301 times
I understand gardening, I do container gardening myself, but I don't get the fascination with wanting to own chickens... they are such nasty, nasty birds... and who needs to eat all of those eggs?

Not criticizing, mind you, just want to understand the reasoning behind this, especially in the city.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,474,676 times
I grew up with hen houses and mostly remember all the bad stuff (hello, mites? nasty stuff) so I'm kind of befuddled too, but I'm willing to concede it's different strokes for different folks. If one of my neighbors had backyard chickens, I'd be happy to take some eggs off his hands.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:41 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,421,877 times
BstYet2Be. We looked into chickens, and decided to do ducks instead. I'm currently looking at my six 5 1/2 week old adolescent ducks in the brooder. They will be moved outside next week.

I know people with chickens, and they claim that with more modern treatments, the availability of real medications to treat boo-boos and minor illnesses at feed stores, and the resources of the web around to find stuff out, it is fairly easy to do. I'm not fond of chickens myself, and ducks are more predator resistant, but the principal is the same, and I've found it to be true. If chickens have as much personality as my ducks do , I understand fully.

Shay 3. To meet people with info and experience on Dallas chicken keeping you can go to the monthly backyard chickens gathering at Northaven Gardens. They will have experts, supplies, and chickens available.
Welcome to Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas