U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM

704 posts, read 1,493,914 times

Advertisements

Which parishes in the Dallas area are more youthful, yet staunchly orthodox? Ideally there would be a lot of young couples and families. Specifically, which have a more contemporary liturgy but have a strong emphasis on traditional Catholic doctrine and the Church's teaching on stuff like contraception, marriage, etc.? Are there any in north Dallas, Plano, Frisco, Grapevine, and other parts of the northern metroplex--or in any other part of DFW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM

19,802 posts, read 55,621,783 times
My son and family go to one on Eldorado just east of the NDT in Frisco. There are a lot of families. My d-i-l is Filapina and rather conservative. I've never been with them so I can't speak from personal experience but they like it a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 PM

2,834 posts, read 3,733,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Which parishes in the Dallas area are more youthful, yet staunchly orthodox? Ideally there would be a lot of young couples and families. Specifically, which have a more contemporary liturgy but have a strong emphasis on traditional Catholic doctrine and the Church's teaching on stuff like contraception, marriage, etc.? Are there any in north Dallas, Plano, Frisco, Grapevine, and other parts of the northern metroplex--or in any other part of DFW?
When you say "orthodox", do you just mean "conservative" (as it sounds from your description) or do you mean "Orthodox" as in Greek/Eastern Orthodox AND also quite "conservative"?

I know there is a Greek Orthodox church on...I believe Hillcrest, just a little north of I-635, but don't know how strong of an emphasis they have on traditional doctrine.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 PM

704 posts, read 1,493,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
When you say "orthodox", do you just mean "conservative" (as it sounds from your description) or do you mean "Orthodox" as in Greek/Eastern Orthodox AND also quite "conservative"?

I know there is a Greek Orthodox church on...I believe Hillcrest, just a little north of I-635, but don't know how strong of an emphasis they have on traditional doctrine.
I mean little-o orthodox, but I try to avoid the word "conservative" because it generally implies a political predilection. Catholic doctrine is neither liberal nor conservative, it just is. If you accept that doctrine you're usually considered "orthodox."

All of that said, however, I am also talking about just generally "conservative" young people, too. Most orthodox Christians (Catholic and Protestant) are also quite conservative politically.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,275,375 times
Do you know nothing of the demographics of Plano? Tons of young people and tons of conservatives there, so chances are that the local RC shack is full of conservatives and younger people. As for orthodoxy, AFAIK, the Nicene Creed is accepted throughout the Catholic Church. But if you want real orthodoxy, the SSPX have a chapel up in Sanger (and Benedict is about to regularise that lot).

Old 04-28-2012, 04:42 PM

718 posts, read 1,136,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Do you know nothing of the demographics of Plano? Tons of young people and tons of conservatives there, so chances are that the local RC shack is full of conservatives and younger people. As for orthodoxy, AFAIK, the Nicene Creed is accepted throughout the Catholic Church. But if you want real orthodoxy, the SSPX have a chapel up in Sanger (and Benedict is about to regularise that lot).
Actually no , Roman Catholics are usually more liberal on their politic views than than any other Christian denominations. The social program of the RC is very close of the Democratic party . And even in Plano , you will be surprised on how many Catholics are registrered Democrats.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,275,375 times
The issue of political affiliation and church membership is a complex one. It does indeed differ considerably by geography. Single issue (abortion) issues RCs will vote Repub, as is true of an RC firend of mine in ever so liberal Austin, my old hometown. The RC magisterium is actually anti-capitalist and has been since the papacy of Leo XIII in the late 19th Century, a fact conveniently ignored by many US RCs, as is the qualified teaching against the death penalty. Since the papacy of JPII, the episcopate has been made to fall into line with the most reactionary Vatican line on all matters pertaining to human sexuality and gender, and this has increasingly filtered down to the level of parish priests. Of course, the laity largely refuse to fall in line, for instance with Humanae Vitae and with the increasingly reactionary stance against full civil equality for homosexual persons and recognition of their relationships. Texas is a conservative place and even nationally "liberal" denominations such as the Episcopal Church are uncharacteristically conservative in Texas. It's unlikely that Plano RCs aren't more conservative than the national norm for RCs. As I said, if you want true conservatism and theological ultra-orthodoxy, you can always resort to the chapel of the Society of St Pius X in Sanger, or you can go to one of the congregations of the Ordinariate of the Chair of Saint Peter in Dallas-Fort Worth. The Ordinariate was founded by Benedict XVI for Anglicans who wished full communion with the Holy See, but any RC laypersons may attend the personal parishes of the Ordinariate, even though they can't formally join the Ordinariate (IOW they are subject to their normal diocesan bishop rather than the national Ordinary appointed to head up the Ordinariate). There are several Ordinariate parishes (or their Anglican Use/Special Pastoral Provision forerunners in DFW), including Arlington and Fort Worth for sure, but undoubtedly somewhere in Dallas, as well. Whether or not they are young demographically, I know not. And you'd be stuck with traditional liturgy and music. Oh, well, never mind...

Old 04-29-2012, 12:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,458,528 times
You might try this one in Plano if Catholicism is your thing. I used to live across from it and it's a nice area. Can't tell you too much about how orthodox it is, as I don't attend church as an atheist. I can tell you from driving by it on Saturdays and Sundays that it draws lots of people from a wide range of ages just looking at the people who go into the church. It has about 8 services spread out over Saturday evening and Sunday to accomodate the large congregation.

Welcome :: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Plano, TX)

Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,773,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
Actually no , Roman Catholics are usually more liberal on their politic views than than any other Christian denominations. The social program of the RC is very close of the Democratic party . And even in Plano , you will be surprised on how many Catholics are registrered Democrats.
That explains why Catholics are so pro-abortion.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,773,489 times
My sister's family really likes All Saints on Arapaho west of Hillcrest, in north Dallas. From what they tell me, they have a pretty good-sized youth program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or