Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM

10 posts, read 40,470 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Richardson in June with three young children, 3, 8 and 9, and I am looking for youth sports programs, after school activities, etc.
We will be living very close to Spring Creek Elementary. Specifically interested in competitive swim and swim lessons, basketball, tennis, and football. Kids have experience with all but football. Not looking for super competitive leagues, but something a bit ahead of a YMCA type program.
Also would like to find a Monart class and Spanish classes.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Something we do have plenty of... recreation centers/sports & activities for most anything you or your children would ever want to participate in!

City of Richardson Parks & Recreation

Surrounding Cities Parks & Centers:

Parks & Centers - By City - Collin County

City of Garland Parks & Recreation

City of Dallas Parks & Recreation

Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Home - Spring Valley Athletic Association - SVAA

All you need to know if living in RISD.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,173 times
I lived in richardson as a kid and recently moved back.

I am now learning about all the wonderful things for kids here because I have a 5-year-old! We live just blocks away from the City's Gymnastics Center. The center is amazing--brand new and the staff is incredible. There is a real loving fun, friendly family atmosphere there. The classes are inexpensive and every Friday they host a Family/friends fun night. For ONLY 10 dollars! Your kid(s) can play----supervised with coaches for 4 hours. Your kid do not have to take classes there to play on Fridays. You can stay in the lobby (where there is a TV and snacks and quiet time) and watch through the windows OR you can drop them off and go do something fun (DATE NIGHT!) until they are done. AWESOME! I stayed and talked to Coach Tiiffany who is an amazing person. Dont forget to bring a snack/drink or give the kids or a few bucks for the vending machine.

First thing to do is sign up for an ID and family pin at the city of richardson site.

[url]https://www.cor.net/parksonline/Start/Start.asp[/url]

Parks and Rec also hosts TONS of fun classes and camps for kids year 'round. There is a softball complex at Huffhines, too. Tons of parks (Cottonwood has a tennis court, ducks and playground area). There are classes and events for adults, too.

Aquatics! Years ago, I swam with Dallas Aquatic Masters at JJ Pearce. I don't know if they are still doing that but they do have tons of swim classes and teams for the kids.

Wildflower Festival is lots of fun and I can't wait to exhibit some art at the Cottonwood Arts Festival next year.

There are tons of specialty restaurants--Dimassis Mediterranean Buffet is a favorite of mine.

Clubs and bars/restaurants for the parents are downtown (karaoke at the Tavern!)

Richardson offers LOTS of culture and diversity (I love that). When I go shopping, I run into the coolest people of all races. The Asian grocery and restaurants/boutiques on Greenville are full of exciting things including BUBBLE TEA>

Overall, I can't be happier with our choice to move here. I didn't think I would like it that much but its awesome! Our neighborhood reasonably priced but also CRIME FREE and there are lots of nice kids in the neighborhood. Wow, right?

Last edited by Electrawoman; 04-16-2013 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Forgot some info

Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM

208 posts, read 335,933 times
tennis:
T Bar M has a great program, I've heard Canyon Creek CC has a good program,
Fretz Park Rec Ctr has kids tennis as well as Prestonwood CC.

basketball and football:
SVAA, a lot of kids in that area also play through PSA (Plano) but games won't be as close by.

swimming:
Not as sure on this one but I have several friends who have used Dolphin swim school over the years - they have different locations and offer lessons and competing on teams.
Might also check out - Fretz Park, Emler Swim School, T Bar M also has a pool and swimming lessons and I believe swim teams and I would think Prestonwood and Canyon Creek CC would as well.

Best wishes!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM

100 posts, read 282,514 times
If you have not lived in this area before, let me be the first to inform you that people around the DFW area are very competitive in all aspects, including their kids' sports. All of the above are great, and all are entities that my family has used for our kids. However, everyone I know puts their kids in "select" or "club" programs. It is a sad state of capitalism around here, but you quickly feel like your kid doesn't stand a chance of getting "seen" by anyone (college or otherwise) unless you can fork over the time and money for these more competitive and expensive sporting entities. We can't, so our kids play for SVAA and Richardson Soccer leagues. I just wanted to throw that out there so you would be prepared if you were not aware.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas is only OK View Post
...you quickly feel like your kid doesn't stand a chance of getting "seen" by anyone (college or otherwise) unless you can fork over the time and money for these more competitive and expensive sporting entities.
Why does it matter if your child is "seen" playing by anyone other than you?

Note: I'm not a parent yet so I honestly have no idea. Are you talking about recruiters for college scholarships?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 PM

212 posts, read 410,010 times
There is an expectation (de facto requirement?) among some varsity high school programs that the kid will participate in off season club sports. Does it matter if your kid doesn't play for the varsity team? Depends on the kid, I guess, and what you/they want/need from the high school experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas