Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I personally would not want a 1/2 acre in Dallas. This coming from a person with a .85 acre lot now in another part of the US, 1/2 of which is usable, the rest wooded. A 1/2 acre in Dallas is typically flat, which really changes the feel of scale on the lot. It's huge IMO, and alot to take care of and water quite honestly.

Like others have mentioned, and I would second by adding don't get hung up on the 1/2 acre size necessarily and focus more on how you would use it and having enough space to for pool (if you want it) and grass to frolic.

Last edited by skids929; 05-01-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
The advice to rent first is the best advice anyone can give you. This will give you more time to look around and find what you do and do not like. Right now and for the next year or two, renting will bring you out ahead in the long run. You can find older homes with larger lots 30 min or so from downtown. Most people who move to Dallas job hop some once they get settled.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
None of the towns you are looking at are within 30 minutes of Dallas. I would say try to stay no more than 10-15 miles from your work. That much distance could give you a 30 min to hour commmute. Murphy, Wylie? Those are not even in the Metro area. I lived 7 miles from downtown and either way I cut it, I needed 25-30 minutes unless there was traffic jam (which are frequent), then up to an hour.

A lot of people are in East Dallas to Lake Highlands who work downtown. Schools are good and you are not stuck in the burbs with a 1.5 hour commute. You will be able to find something in your budget, nothing too large or brand new, but something nice, maybe a bit older ranch style home for about 250. If quality of life, more time is important, dont' even consider small towns quite a way from the city. If you want a larger home for a better proce and dont' mind massive commutes, you can go further out.

Or you could just rent first since your kids are not in school, then get to knowthe areas and decide on a purchase.
One correction... Murphy is in the metroplex. It borders Richardson and Plano. On a Saturday, I can get from Murphy to the Angelika on Mockingbird within 30 minutes.

And to the OP: I would agree with some of the other posts about 1/2 acre vs 1/4 acre. I'm on a 1/3 acre in Murphy and I bought my house 3 years ago for less than what your budget is. With a 1/3 acre, my backyard seems large even with a pool and a good-sized patio on it. Now if you're looking for an acre because you want to have space for a horse than I would suggest looking in Parker--but the prices will be higher there because I think there is a limited lot size. Also, Parker taxes might be higher because it doesn't have that much commerce.

Last edited by dgz; 05-15-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Now if you're looking for an acre because you want to have space for a horse than I would suggest looking in Parker--
A one acre lot is NOT enough space for a horse. The house takes up about 25% of the lot, and you need an entire acre of space for the horse. You need at least 1.5 for a horse, and preferably 3+ acres.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM

32 posts, read 59,709 times
You might consider Casa Linda. It's on the east side of White Rock Lake. You get the same proximity to White Rock Lake as Lakewood, but without the higher price tags. 10-15 minutes to downtown so an easy commute. The smallest lots are 0.45 acres and go up from there. We have a 0.5 acre lot with two small kids and two large dogs and we love it. We use every inch of that yard and with our riding mower, lawn care is not time consuming. Houses are spaced far apart so you don't have that "on top of your neighbor" feeling.
Elementary school is excellent. Middle and high school is "meh" but a lot can change in a few years. Many transfer to better middle and high schools around DFW, like Long and Wilson which Lakewood feeds into.

You'll find a few options in the $250K price range.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas