U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM

472 posts, read 759,014 times

Advertisements

I am not sure whether this thread belongs to this Dallas specific forum or Automotive one.
I live in Plano and the state inspection of my car is due. It is a 1999 Honda Accord EX. Suddenly the check engine light has come on since 2 days back and most probably i know the reason is gas cap. This has occurred before and after tightening it, the light usually goes off after some time.
As of now yesterday morning i had tightened the gas cap and have driven about 25 miles till now but the light has still not gone away.
I need to know that in worst case if the light does not go for next few days and i go for the state inspection of my vehicle, will they FAIL it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM

13 posts, read 49,306 times
It will automatically fail if the light is on.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM

814 posts, read 1,008,072 times
The most cause of the dreaded "check engine light" is a failed O2 sensor. It's a cheap fix and you may be able to do it at the same place as the inspection. I have had good experiences at the quick lube places where I get an oil change. Make sure you bring your proof of insurance.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,310,189 times
Yes, they will fail it. They will also fail it if you reset the car battery in an attempt to reset the light. Although I guess it all depends on the inspector...if you "know a guy" you might be able to get away with it.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM

690 posts, read 831,633 times
Take your vehicle to the nearest AUTOZONE auto parts store and ask them to do a quick check with their computer.
Within five minutes you may have your answer so you can save yourself the headache
and a large auto repair bill.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Actually oil change for my car is due and i am planning to go for the same may be on monday (so i get some time to monitor this CEL).
I was thinking about telling that guy there to reset the light.
Btw i have read that after doing the reset (by disconnecting battery or something) the OBD code will show NOT READY or something but if i then drive my car for sufficient miles and CEL does not come then i guess i would be fine to go for the inspection ?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
Take your vehicle to the nearest AUTOZONE auto parts store and ask them to do a quick check with their computer.
Within five minutes you may have your answer so you can save yourself the headache
and a large auto repair bill.

Yeah i have a Oreilley auto parts just besides where i work and they too do a error code reading.
Last time i had got that done and they gave me 2 error codes but on that very day i removed and tightened back the gas cap and the light went off after 1-2 days.
So i am kind of confused how reliable those codes are.

I am just going to go now and get the reading done and report back.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Just back. The error code was P1456. I am 100% sure this is the same error code i received few months back and the issue was same, gas cap.
I have just now removed the cap and put it back and tightened to 4 clicks. Also the Oreilley parts store person cleared the code so i got no check engine light.
But i guess that puts the computer on board in NOT READY or some status which means i cannot still go for inspection.
So how many miles i need to drive before that NOT READY goes away and i can go for inspection ?
This is assuming the Check Engine does not come back.

Last edited by rak007; 05-03-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM

4,302 posts, read 3,706,329 times
For OBD2 cars, you typically have to drive the vehicle around 50 miles before it will log that it is ready. If your gas cap is leaking a bit, sometimes you can do this. Get a piece of electrical tape and wrap it around the gas tank nozzle, then carefully screw the cap on over it. It's not intended to be a long term fix, but for a small leak to pass inspection, that will hopefully seal up a cap that may be a little worn.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,685,908 times
I would suggest you go to Honda dealership and buy a new factory gas cap. We had the same problem with my wifes Chevy Equinox. I put a aftermarket gas cap on it and the light stayed on. I took it to several shops and the dealer and no one could get the light to come off. Did a google search and found this truck needed a new factory gas cap. Installed the cap and the light went off in 3 minutes. I felt like such a fool for not just replacing the cap in the first place. Oh yeah the dealership simply turned the check engine light off for a couple of days until it passed inspection. I paid $125 for this <GRRRRRRR>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas