Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 AM

104 posts, read 164,716 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've noticed in the houses a lot of people put their tv above the fireplace.

Can someone tell me where the tv gets plugged in at? Sorry if this is a lame question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflowers4me View Post
Hi,
I've noticed in the houses a lot of people put their tv above the fireplace.

Can someone tell me where the tv gets plugged in at? Sorry if this is a lame question.
I've mounted TVs above fireplaces twice. The short answer is one must run all wires through the guts of the fireplace to an opening obscured by the TV itself. Mounting a TV this was is one of those things that is an easy three beer job if one is handy and has the right tools - like wire pulling poles. It's an impossible job for those not handy. My MIL had an LCD set installed by Best Buy contractors a few months ago - IIRC it cost her $250 the crew did a great job.

ETA - even though I've done it many times running extension cords through walls or a TV set's cord through a wall is a code violation almost everywhere.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,979 times
<edit: what EDS said>

An outlet needs to be installed on the wall behind the TV or a nearby adjacent wall with the power cord pulled through the wall or space behind the wall. For example, in my previous home there was a built-in shelf and cabinet next to the fireplace with electrical outlet in it. I ran the power cord about 3 feet from the wall above the fireplace, through the dead space, into the cabinet next to the fireplace.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I thought I'd heard that it was not good for the tv to be over a fireplace due to the heat?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I thought I'd heard that it was not good for the tv to be over a fireplace due to the heat?
Well it depends on the fireplace but for the most part it shouldn't be an issue.

I think it's more of an aesthetic thing. As in the TV should be somewhere else like on a piece of furniture. But some like it over the fireplace like a piece of art. For each his own.

The key would be if you're showing your house, then trust your Realtor to say "take that down it looks stupid there".

Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
If the fireplace is used a lot, it may not be a good idea unless you like buying TV's every 3-5 or so years. But the best determination factor is if the temp of the wall above the fireplace gets to over 90* (after 30 min) where the TV would be placed. If so, for sure NO plasma's or 50"+ LCD tv's.

If not, when at full roar, then install away!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
ETA - even though I've done it many times running extension cords through walls or a TV set's cord through a wall is a code violation almost everywhere.
With good reason. If you don't use an extension cord that is thick enough for a long cable run, the copper wiring inside will get too hot and could start a fire inside the wall.

Not to mention, doing an install like that will fail an inspection if you ever plan on selling the home. Even though it's more work, you should just wire it properly.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
With good reason. If you don't use an extension cord that is thick enough for a long cable run, the copper wiring inside will get too hot and could start a fire inside the wall.

Not to mention, doing an install like that will fail an inspection if you ever plan on selling the home. Even though it's more work, you should just wire it properly.
I've always preferred very high quality marine extension cords with 110 vac ends over romex for these projects because they are flexible and waterproof. Pulling romex through a series of turns is a non starter. Plus I am able to fashion the cords to length. When it's time to move I take it all down. Runs like I'm talking about are 12/15 feet as well not to mention using romex would be cost prohibitive due to install difficulties.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times
If you don't like the tv over the fireplace idea you can always use a decorative mirror or hang a tapestry to cover the hole. I wouldn't drywall the hole in case you change your mind or if you sell the house later. We put a conduit in (an electrician did it actually) above our piano in case someone wants to hang a 50" flatscreen over an entertainment system.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 PM

104 posts, read 164,716 times
Thank you. I think we will probably just avoid this. We are not very handy people and the risks aren't worth it either.

Thank You so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas