Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 PM

33 posts, read 92,313 times

Advertisements

I have read about how advanced PISD/RISD are and how seriously education is taken in TX. We will be moving from the west coast and I am concerned about how my child will do in the public school sytem there (or if I will need to opt for a smaller private school option?)
My son who will be a first grader in the fall is shy and sweet, he's well behaved in class but he can be anxious in new situations. He's bright but seems to learn at a slower pace. Do you think he can blend well in the Plano school environment or do you have to be advanced to thrive?
Thank you for any thoughts you may have on schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzie View Post
I have read about how advanced PISD/RISD are and how seriously education is taken in TX. We will be moving from the west coast and I am concerned about how my child will do in the public school sytem there (or if I will need to opt for a smaller private school option?)
My son who will be a first grader in the fall is shy and sweet, he's well behaved in class but he can be anxious in new situations. He's bright but seems to learn at a slower pace. Do you think he can blend well in the Plano school environment or do you have to be advanced to thrive?
Thank you for any thoughts you may have on schools.
Place him in Plano or RISD and help your teachers help your son precisely a they ask you to help. Assuming your son does not have some real and diagnosed issue let him grow in school.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:25 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Not every child in PISD is gifted or talented. Those are the ones that you hear about. There are plenty of students that just go along and learn and are not in AP classes.

If you read the threads on PISD, you will find people talking about which schools or feeder schools to pick. Well, guess why. One reason, the "less desirable" schools are full of students that aren't advanced. Plano, in my experience, wants every child to succeed and teaches a standard curriculum across the district.

At least at the elementary level, just look for a school that is a little more laid back and not all about the drive to compete.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 AM

350 posts, read 749,389 times
Being shy might make the High school or senior high school experience a bit more challenging, especially if he likes to be familiar with everyone around him. However, this is pretty far down the road, and I don't see any problems in elementary school & smaller middle schools (ex. Hendrick, Haggard, and others). Perhaps find a school that's a good fit, and evaluate whether or not the large high schools will work well for him when the time comes.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Not every child in PISD is gifted or talented. Those are the ones that you hear about. There are plenty of students that just go along and learn and are not in AP classes.

If you read the threads on PISD, you will find people talking about which schools or feeder schools to pick. Well, guess why. One reason, the "less desirable" schools are full of students that aren't advanced. Plano, in my experience, wants every child to succeed and teaches a standard curriculum across the district.

At least at the elementary level, just look for a school that is a little more laid back and not all about the drive to compete.
Nope, no true, Plano is not very equal among schools , some will be very good , some will be horrible for some students . The students in the middle are usually left pretty much on their own especially at the elementary level except for few schools like Bethany , Beverly, Hedgecox, ( all 3 are excellent schools) In some schools , the average student will be taught the test and nothing else. The horrible math program will be also difficult for some children, since it is pretty much set , that parents or outside schools need to teach basic math on the top of the official program , it may be overwhelming for some students .

Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 PM

109 posts, read 160,933 times
My children always say that schools were made for mediocre students and athletes. Their experience says that school system doesn't reward well behaved and high IQ Students as much as it should if nation want to have an edge in this competitive world.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times
I would really consider sending my shy child to a 800+ student elementary school, a 1200+ student MS, (6-8 grades), a 3000+ student 9-10 grade, and 3000+ student 11-12 grade. Sure, he may grow out of his shyness as he ages and may find some fellow buddies. But it's much easier to get "lost" in a larger school. A smaller school will have more opportunities for him to "shine" instead of being constantly over-shadowed. (Whether that be in choir, art class, athletics, etc.)
My K daughter is competative, determined and very social. She'd do great in a 700 student elementary school. My 2nd grader is laid-back and shy. We've been in TX 6 months and all the teachers/front office/recess monitors know my K daughter. They've figured out that my 2nd grader is her older sister. (And we're in a 450 student K-4 school.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: