Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:59 PM

254 posts, read 520,778 times

Advertisements

I have an offer to go to Dallas with my current company, they offered me to go to Houston 4-5 months ago and I turned it down.

I have a family of 5, I have twin 6 year old boys and a 2 year old girl. Schools are very important and we like at least 3/4 acre. 40 minutes out from Dallas is fine, my office would be on the North Side of Dallas.

We would want a family oriented community with ameneties for the kids.

Any ideas where to look at would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 04:11 PM

6,758 posts, read 13,969,062 times
Can you be more specific than northside of Dallas. Exactly were is your office located. This information would help alot when trying to narrow your choices.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:13 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,034,597 times
Let me preface this by saying I don't have any kids, so I'm not well-versed in local school districts, but I do know that Plano and Coppell ISDs are great from what I've heard.

I would recommend looking in Plano and Coppell for homes that will fit your budget, as these are both very sought-after, family friendly communities. Coppell is so sought-after that good homes rarely last on the market for more than 24 to 48 hours before being sold.

Depending on where in north Dallas your office is located, it would be a 20 minute commute from Coppell or Plano to the Galleria in north Dallas (at 635 and the Dallas North Tollway).

Old 05-19-2012, 04:15 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,365,143 times
Agreed. offices in North Dallas can be as much as 15-20 miles north of downtown to just north of DT, huge difference in communities fitting your criteria. But if you are as far north as I635 or the galleria area, you might consider Plano (great schools but not huge lots in most instances) or Prosper where large lots are the norm and I believe schools are good. Welcome to Tx..

Old 05-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Can you be more specific than northside of Dallas. Exactly were is your office located. This information would help alot when trying to narrow your choices.
Right near 635 and 35E, hope that helps.

Thank you

Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,911,197 times
With that location, Southlake is probably your best bet. At that price point, 3/4 acre is a stretch, but 1/2 is likely doable.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,634,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
I have an offer to go to Dallas with my current company, they offered me to go to Houston 4-5 months ago and I turned it down.

I have a family of 5, I have twin 6 year old boys and a 2 year old girl. Schools are very important and we like at least 3/4 acre. 40 minutes out from Dallas is fine, my office would be on the North Side of Dallas.

We would want a family oriented community with ameneties for the kids.

Any ideas where to look at would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill
When you say "North side of Dallas", do you literally mean the northern part of the City of Dallas, or north in the greater metro area (they call it "The Metroplex" down here)

If the former, I would agree with Coppell or Plano re: great schools and proximity (assuming north of 635 in Dallas proper) at that price point, although 3/4 acre lot is gonna be very tough to find (I have a cut off of 0.4 acre, albeit at a max 500K list price, and there is almost nothing in Coppell that's available that reaches that. I know Plano also has a dearth of larger lots but haven't investigated it in depth).

If it's more Northwestish within the greater Metro area, Flower Mound and Double Oak (the latter within the Lewisville ISD) have 1 acre lots and quite nice homes at 600K or less. However, that's a long commute and rather difficult commute from the city of Dallas itself.

Prosper has larger lots and is way north (pretty much at the very northern edge of the Metroplex for now). Schools are very good but not outstanding. The area is still building out so school quality could continue on an upward trajectory, or Prosper could peak as development rolls through and Prosper cheerleader who will sing its praises and tell you all the good bits about what they're doing. But again, quite a long commute to the city of Dallas.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Thank you all, Prosper looks nice on line, still just in the looking into phase. Not sure the wife wants to move, but I look into any opportunity I get.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
With your budget you could consider living in Dallas itself; there are still some good elementary schools in Dallas and you can go private for junior high and high school.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:17 AM

We are not city people, having acces to one an hour or so away is great, but we like the Burbs.

I have been looking at Prosper, seems to be what we like, any other towns like Prosper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas