Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 PM

107 posts, read 166,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
I am one step closer to being in the same boat, where in New England are you moving from TXbound? I am in Western MA

I still have a few steps to go, but seeing they asked me I would bet it would take me backing out or something really political to hold it back.
Southeastern MA - my entire life I have seen the ocean so this will be quite the change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 PM

254 posts, read 521,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbound2011 View Post
Southeastern MA - my entire life I have seen the ocean so this will be quite the change
I am Western MA, but was in Franklin prior. I hear you, I am from Long Island, grew up on the water.

I think I just need an open mind and not go in expecting it to be what I am used to.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Hey great thread!

I just moved from Chicago to Dallas last month. I have been here four weeks and so far, I am loving it!

I have to admit, that when I got here, the first few days were emotional, as I noticed how some things were VERY different (I knew this going in, though). I am missing all my friends and missing some of the GREAT things about Chicago...missing Lakeview, etc.

But overall, I am glad I am here...the weather has been (mostly) sunny and WARM and I have slept SO GOOD the past month, its unbelievable.

Oh, and guess what - I got my first paycheck the other day since transferring here with my current employer and guess what - no IL state taxes deducted! My paycheck was $250 bigger right off the bat! YES!!
Good to hear, that state tax or lack of is a Nice Bonus for sure. I will also save $1500 or so on the Car tax I pay every year. I actually am not a big fan of the heat, but my wife hates the cold. I work most of the time so her and the family being happy is more important. I HATE humidity, not so much heat, so not sure what to expect. I have been to the West Coast and the heat did not really bother me, East Coast when you can barely breath because of the humidity is dreadful.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
I know I said it earlier in this thread, but At This Very Moment I am sitting in my now completely packed up house in Chicago, among all the boxes, looking around at The Only Home My Daughter As Ever Known, having just come back from Giordano's, and wondering (for the umpteenth time) how it will feel to really, truly be in Texas, with no Chicago "lifeline" as it were. Yes, I've been in Dallas for 16 months, but there's always been this place in Chi to "come back to".

It's gonna be different for my entire family, and not all to the good, but as others have said - it's an adventure, it's a new chapter. There's old things I'm leaving behind, but new things to be discovered.

And as this thread shows, there's a whole big bunch of us in the same boat.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM

31 posts, read 63,987 times
We moved from Denver to Dallas about a year ago and most people I have met here are people who moved her for a job. Texas is definitely different from the rest of the country, but it is comfortable here and the quality of life here is nice. The weather is pretty crazy here in the summer, but someone told me that things are a bit backwards here. In colder climates, people stay inside during the winter, but it is the opposite here. People stay inside during the summer.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlei456 View Post
We moved from Denver to Dallas about a year ago and most people I have met here are people who moved her for a job. Texas is definitely different from the rest of the country, but it is comfortable here and the quality of life here is nice. The weather is pretty crazy here in the summer, but someone told me that things are a bit backwards here. In colder climates, people stay inside during the winter, but it is the opposite here. People stay inside during the summer.

LOL! True. But it's mainly for the same reasons...if you get left out in the elements for too long, it can KILL you.

Hopefully it's going to be just a regular "heat of hell" summer, and not the full-on even the devil doesn't go there section of hell we had last year!

Best investment advice for those moving here...buy stock in sunscreen, sunblock and water companies!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,681,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Hey great thread!

I just moved from Chicago to Dallas last month. I have been here four weeks and so far, I am loving it!

I have to admit, that when I got here, the first few days were emotional, as I noticed how some things were VERY different (I knew this going in, though). I am missing all my friends and missing some of the GREAT things about Chicago...missing Lakeview, etc.

But overall, I am glad I am here...the weather has been (mostly) sunny and WARM and I have slept SO GOOD the past month, its unbelievable.

Oh, and guess what - I got my first paycheck the other day since transferring here with my current employer and guess what - no IL state taxes deducted! My paycheck was $250 bigger right off the bat! YES!!
I look forward to the "no state tax" line on my paycheck as well.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Best investment advice for those moving here...buy stock in sunscreen, sunblock and water companies!
Add carmex to the list - it will become your best friend.

BTW, I don't know of anyone that uses sunscreen or sunblock here unless they are going to be out in the sun just for fun for a lengthy time!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:24 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Well, as I came here from a northern climate, I knew that the sun here was stronger, more powerful...so I actually ahve been wearing sunscreen every day (especially since, as a guy, I shave my head completly bald), I need the sunscreen...I used SPF15 though as I want to get some sun and start getting tan, which does happen pretty quickly here.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Add carmex to the list - it will become your best friend.

BTW, I don't know of anyone that uses sunscreen or sunblock here unless they are going to be out in the sun just for fun for a lengthy time!

I am not sure I understand this? So people would rather get skin cancer than put on sun screen or are you saying people do not go out in the sun?

Either way I think that is very odd.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas