U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-20-2007, 09:41 PM

261 posts, read 944,314 times
Default Traffic- how long does it take?

I plan on buying a house in the Frisco in a few months area and am looking for a job. Everyone tells me that the traffic can be a nightmare!

If I live in Frisco, how long would would it take to get to work if I worked in downtown Dallas? Richardson? Murphy?

I checked it on mapquest and it says about 30-40 min but Im sure it doesnt take into account rush hour traffic in each direction.

Can anyone tell me approx. how long these cummute may take in each direction to and from work?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM

754 posts, read 1,641,050 times
Any particular reason why you have already decided to move to Frisco? Nothing wrong with Frisco but why not figure out where you are going to work first and then decide where to live based on that? I think it would make life much easier. Just my 2 cents.

Unread 09-20-2007, 11:46 PM

170 posts, read 572,339 times
The Frisco-Downtown Dallas commute is easily an hour during rush hour, many times longer. Frisco to Murphy would be maybe 40 minutes, same thing with Richardson.

Traffic is a nightmare during rushour. If you can try to take the toll roads. Although expensive, traffic is slightly less than if you take 35 or 635 to get where you are going. I personally avoided 635 at all costs. There was heavy traffic there at anytime of day.

Unread 09-21-2007, 12:22 PM

15,829 posts, read 23,510,662 times
It takes 45 minutes just to get halfway to Frisco. Are you stuck on the new house syndrome? There are also new and newer houses mixed in with the older within 10 minutes of downtown.

Unread 09-21-2007, 02:09 PM

2,395 posts, read 5,194,083 times
I say this over and over...

DO NOT BUY A HOUSE until you've lived here for atleast 6 months. If you're thinking Frisco is for you - there are plenty of apartments. Move into one first, then find your job, then explore the areas. You may decide you don't like Frisco or hate the 60-90 minute commute if you get a job downtown Dallas. If that's the case, you move. If you have a house - well, it's financially much more painful to move.

Brian

Unread 09-22-2007, 10:27 PM

163 posts, read 516,113 times
I am relocating here from Colorado. Due to the relocation package I have we will be living in temporay housing for 90 days. I agree with the above poster. Live here awhile and then see where you want to live based on where your job is.

I too thought I wanted to live in Frisco. I work off of 635 in North Dallas. The first day I drove to work down the tollway I said forget living in Frisco. It is 14.8 miles from my temp housing to work. It took me over an hour.

Unread 09-23-2007, 12:33 AM

261 posts, read 944,314 times
Default Areas of Preferen & Jobs

Thanks for the feedback. We have been wanting to move to Texas (from NY) for awhile now. We visited the plano/Allen/Mckinney/Frisco area before and did much research-online and talking to people.

Most of the feedback we got is along the lines of "Plano is built out and becoming expensive", "Allen is an extension of Plano and soon will be over-crowded", McKinney taxes are low but development slowed down", and "Frisco is the new developing area here houses are affordable and taxes are low".
(feel free to correct the accuracy of the above statements. Everyone has a different outlook on things and I understand that "facts" can sometimes get twisted)

As for our jobs, I work in banking so I can work at any local branch and my wife is a pharmacist so she can get a job nearby too. But it does make sense to live in the county for awhile before deciding on an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas