U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,489 times

Advertisements

I am a mid-20s male moving to Dallas from Charlotte for a job. My job is in Plano, near the North Dallas Tollway and George Bush Turnpike junction. I have heard really good things about The Village neighborhood ( great place for younger people, great amenities, ect). Would that be a better option than to get a place closer to Plano and work? Are there areas in Plano that are good for young professionals? How is the commute from Dallas to Plano? Any information would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 PM

384 posts, read 615,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM14 View Post
I am a mid-20s male moving to Dallas from Charlotte for a job. My job is in Plano, near the North Dallas Tollway and George Bush Turnpike junction. I have heard really good things about The Village neighborhood ( great place for younger people, great amenities, ect). Would that be a better option than to get a place closer to Plano and work? Are there areas in Plano that are good for young professionals? How is the commute from Dallas to Plano? Any information would help. Thanks!
If I were mid-20s, single, didn't have 2 huge 'dangerous' black dogs (according to insurers and most apartment companies), and lots of stuff, I'd live in the Village or Uptown in a shot.

Your commute would be against traffic out to Plano and should be easy.

I've met people who lived in the Village and loved it.

Then again you could live in Plano for the same money and a shorter commute but you'd probably find it slow and dull because...well, it is compared to Dallas.

Lifestyle choice really.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM

11,896 posts, read 22,129,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
If I were mid-20s, single, didn't have 2 huge 'dangerous' black dogs (according to insurers and most apartment companies), and lots of stuff, I'd live in the Village or Uptown in a shot.

Your commute would be against traffic out to Plano and should be easy.

I've met people who lived in the Village and loved it.

Then again you could live in Plano for the same money and a shorter commute but you'd probably find it slow and dull because...well, it is compared to Dallas.

Lifestyle choice really.
Agree with Village rec.

Your commute will be about 20 min. Straight shot west on northwest hwy to the toll road (about 5-10 min), then about 12 min north on toll road to Bush.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM

23,926 posts, read 32,590,884 times
Addison is closer; it's worth a look. It's not for everyone.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM

8,189 posts, read 8,951,590 times
Quote:
Check out Austin Ranch.
Or Addison as mentioned.
Or The Shops at Legacy area in Plano.

From The Village it's about 15 miles on NWH and then up DNT to that area. That's certainly not undoable but it's a real commute. AND at some point the massive 635 rebuild effort will impact the DNT over 635. I hear wildly varying stories about how bad and for how long.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,798,339 times
EDS nailed it. That commute is going to wear on you after awhile if you decide to live in Dallas. I had to commute from Plano to Dallas (I know, the opposite way) but going the other way isn't that much better to be honest. Once you hit 635 going north on DNT, you'll have traffic too. Austin Ranch is a fun area, or Addison, and from either of those locations, Dallas is just a quick trip down the tollway after work or on a weekend.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 PM

686 posts, read 2,139,834 times
The Village up to George Bush & Tollway area is certainly doable. I lived in the Village and worked off of Spring Creek and the Tollway for 3 years. I took the side roads - Hillcrest and Preston - and it took me about 35-40 minutes. Your commute would be a bit shorter than that. Traffic flows really well going against traffic, even on the side roads. You will just have to decide if that is too much of a daily commute for you.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 PM

11,896 posts, read 22,129,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Once you hit 635 going north on DNT, you'll have traffic too.
You don't, actually, unless there's a wreck. Been doing that drive from Uptown & now from East Dallas for 6 years now.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,904,248 times
Quote:
Hey..Read your post...Was it difficult finding employment since you are an out of state candidate looking for work? Curious though, was Charlotte just not working for you?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 AM

8,698 posts, read 11,775,063 times
Just get north of LBJ. I have lived in the Village - they really take care of you as a property manager. But with the work on LBJ (635) it really has become "The Great Divide." Addison Circle area would be similar to uptown. Similar to the Village in amenities, lifestyle, demographics, would be either side along the Tollway north of Belt Line up to Arapaho. It is a high population of apartments but the commute would be very easy, and going against traffic to and from your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or