Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
LOL so did I, I saw some people with a dozen jars of it and people kept talking about it. It's OK, it's definitely unique, but not really my cup of tea.

Yep, same here. The Cookie Butter kind of tasted like thick unbaked cookie dough with a sweet peanut butter taste to it. One guy said it was great on anything - so I tried it on some duck liver pate. Not so good! Just kidding!

I really don't see what's so good (other than the uniqueness of everything being Trader Joe's brand) about Trader Joe's. Maybe it's just me. Dunno...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM

44 posts, read 103,989 times
Trader Joe's is snack heaven! I'm pretty sure it's a mistake to go there for the produce, etc. It's the packaged snacky things that are interesting. I got a lot of intriguing preserved fruits (like chili spicy mango slices) and spiced nuts (thai chili lime cashews, sesame honey cashews) which turned out to be wins. Tried some microwaveable shu mai dumplings that the kids liked a lot, and they ended up as <$3 per person to feed them all for lunch. The frozen Chinese foods I bought to try weren't quite as easy, but they tasted pretty good, good enough to stock up and have around in the freezer. Trader Joe's isn't going to be replacing the regular grocery, but it's a whole lot better than Whole Foods for packaged/prepared foods, and a lot more interesting than Tom Thumb - plus nothing cost more than $5.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Yep, same here. The Cookie Butter kind of tasted like thick unbaked cookie dough with a sweet peanut butter taste to it. One guy said it was great on anything - so I tried it on some duck liver pate. Not so good! Just kidding!

I really don't see what's so good (other than the uniqueness of everything being Trader Joe's brand) about Trader Joe's. Maybe it's just me. Dunno...
I don't get it either. It doesn't suck or anything; it's a nice enough store, I just don't see why people are going crazy over one opening here. To me it seems kind of like a nicer Sprouts with better-quality house-brand stuff. If I had one close by I would probably shop there more frequently, but I don't see myself making regular trips to that part of Plano just to go there.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
You get a quality product at a reasonable price. By selling their house brand of most items, you are not paying for advertising or some middle man, and Trader Joe's controls the quality.

Their maple syrup is cheaper than Whole Foods or Central Market. The triple ginger cookies are to die for. The frozen prepared foods that I have tried are really good. Their gluten free mixes are good, and again, cheaper than Whole Foods.

They are after a niche market. They want shoppers that say, buy goat cheese and drink wine for dinner. TJ is located at Park and Preston because they know that the neighborhood will buy the foods that they sell.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
You get a quality product at a reasonable price. By selling their house brand of most items, you are not paying for advertising or some middle man, and Trader Joe's controls the quality.

Their maple syrup is cheaper than Whole Foods or Central Market. The triple ginger cookies are to die for. The frozen prepared foods that I have tried are really good. Their gluten free mixes are good, and again, cheaper than Whole Foods.

They are after a niche market. They want shoppers that say, buy goat cheese and drink wine for dinner. TJ is located at Park and Preston because they know that the neighborhood will buy the foods that they sell.
This is why I'm interested. Looking forward to Central and Walnut Hill location. I love Whole Foods but the prices just kill me.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Ok, OK, I give in, I'm gonna make a point of checking it out tomorrow. Seems I can't escape it lately, my local CA friends are all buzzing about it on facebook to.

Naima

Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't get it either. It doesn't suck or anything; it's a nice enough store, I just don't see why people are going crazy over one opening here. To me it seems kind of like a nicer Sprouts with better-quality house-brand stuff. If I had one close by I would probably shop there more frequently, but I don't see myself making regular trips to that part of Plano just to go there.
It's just a couple of miles from me and I'm around there all the time, but I won't be a regular patron.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 AM

127 posts, read 259,246 times
I've shopped at TJ's off and on for years when I lived in CA but never even heard of "Cookie Butter". I guess I wasn't missing much based on the reactions here.

What I liked to get from there was the frozen enchiladas (cheap and good for lunches!), the orange chicken, espresso grounds (before I used to roast/grind my own), Mochi balls, and chocolate covered espresso beans.
Also they have an canned espresso drink that was really delicious, its a lot like the Starbucks double shot but less sweet (which I prefer).
Oh! If you like to cook you've got to try the various sauces they stock, I really like their yellow and red curry sauces. Try several of various "cooking" sauces they have. Some are good and some are not, but they are pretty unique so its fun to experiment.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This is why I'm interested. Looking forward to Central and Walnut Hill location. I love Whole Foods but the prices just kill me.
You'll be waiting a while; last I heard it'll be 2014 before it opens.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
I've shopped at TJ's off and on for years when I lived in CA but never even heard of "Cookie Butter". I guess I wasn't missing much based on the reactions here.
t.
The cookie butter is relatively new , it's the generic version of the Belgium brand Biscoff Speculos spread , that became very popular in the last 2 years . It's in the same family than Nutella , which Trader Joe has also an excellent version of it .
I didn't have time to shop there , so I just run to find my French Rose I was looking for at the same price than Chicago , and at $5.99 , it is a steal for that quality , I would have to pay double anywhere else .
I'm going back tomorrow for my regular shopping . So far , except for the crowd , I only hear positive comments , Whole Food but mainly Costco are going to loose some business unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas