Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM

98 posts, read 427,901 times

Advertisements

Both in Plano... MY house is gorgeous & ready to move in--BUT it is ALL electric. Modern looking, which is totally my style. Phenomenal pool & yard, giant extra parking pad attached to driveway/garage. You could park an RV over there easily. Bathrubs are regular old-school normal size tub-shower combo, which is fine with me. Pool is not heated but was just resurfaced a year ago--it's awesome, utterly incredible. Doesn't look as impressive from the front, but I couldn't care less about that kind of thing. I am in love with it.

HIS house has gas heat, gas pool heater, no extra parking pad. It's more formal by far than "my" house & everything in there is currently brown. I could certainly make some changes that would brighten it & make it look cheerier & less like a funeral home. Has great bones, BUT everything in there is brown, the kitchen has linoleum tiles that are scratched & need to be replaced, there is some wallpaper in living room I'd want to tear down. Worst part is they painted over wallpaper in one area and actually put heavy texture over wallpaper in another area. Very visible seams. This makes me wonder where else they cut corners. It does have a pretty new roof & recently replaced pool equipment. Also, from the front of the house, off to one side you see the back of an alley & people's garages, nothing funky there, though. It's a very nice neighborhood (they both are). He is in love with it (in it's current state, it is pretty masculine--like a hunting lodge or something... lol!)

Both are 3 BR, though my house has a nice big den that could be a baby's room or possibly used as a bedroom for a kid though it has no closet. Resale value is a concern--we're moving from California & took a bloody beating on our house here. Of course, what we'd pay for either of this is pretty close in total to the beating!

We are not on a tight budget, but we are frugal people who like to save & will retire & probably move in 6-7 years. I know electric heating is more expensive but wondering how MUCH more & how much that will affect resale value/appeal to home buyers in the future.

The funeral home---er, HIS house---costs about $18K more--not really a bid deal. I could be very happy there with some paint & redecorating.

We need to move fast! Any advice would be appreciated... is an all-electric house a big mistake?!??? I know this subject's been done before so forgive me but I'm in a tizzeeeeeeeeee!!!! (I was on here a lot 8 years ago when we moved from Chicago to SoCal & you guys were all fantastic...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM

Forgot to mention they're both in Plano & only a mile apart.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 AM

358 posts, read 577,640 times
Gas. In the long run, it is more likely to be less expensive to operate.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
I don't have exact numbers to give you regarding gas vs. electric and I don't know which would have better resale value (my guess is if both houses were equal in every way, the gas house would, but obviously the houses aren't exactly equal)...

but just a reminder to keep in mind that since taxes are so high in TX, his house being $18k more expensive will cost you more in taxes each year, which may end up offsetting what you save in your utility bills with that gas house (you'd need exact numbers to determine the degree to which it would). Just something to keep in mind when you're crunching numbers.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Electric heating is going to be more expensive but not sure how much. Remember heating isnt the big utility cost here its cooling. Both homes sound like they would be great, so negotiate between you two to get the right one to then negotiate with the seller to buy. I moved to Plano almost 2 years ago and love it here. Great city to live in so both locations of homes sounds great.

Good luck

Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 PM

OK... decision made. HIS wins! But I fully intend to make it "mine"!

Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMama View Post
OK... decision made. HIS wins! But I fully intend to make it "mine"!
I have no doubt you will! Welcome to Texas and double welcome to Plano, its a good city to live and enjoy life in

Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM

"His" gas house has a pool heater... we had that in the Chicago burbs for many years & it sure came in handy there, so I'm very fond of those things. I think I'll love it.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMama View Post
"His" gas house has a pool heater... we had that in the Chicago burbs for many years & it sure came in handy there, so I'm very fond of those things. I think I'll love it.
A heated pool? I think I love it, too. Can I move in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas