Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 PM

98 posts, read 427,791 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'll see you around Plano, Gatorgirl! Nice to know there are lots of Chicago people in the area; everyone know they're (we're!) the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,412 times
Default moving to Dallas

We are also planning to move from Schaumburg IL to somewhere near Dallas,TX. We have not yet decided the city to move in.We are looking for good elementary schools which feeds into a nice middle school and so forth. In Schaumburg , its very lively during warmer months with many free events in the park district facilities etc. Can we expect the same in Dallas too. Which would be a good place to rent and then eventually to buy without changing school once enrolled. I am looking to rent for somewhere upto $ 1300 and to buy 250-300k.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,161 times
Asian Indian here! You will find the general consensus that Plano schools and commute are better than Allen and Frisco. However, Frisco is better than Allen on many fronts for our family especially schools in east frisco (attached to north plano) are better in every realm over Allen. Additionally, east frisco has better density of asian indians than Allen. Not to mention the sports facilities and things to do are way better than Allen.
Welcome!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:58 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I lived in Chicago for 2 years (Lincoln Park), but didnt really venture into Schaumburg too much. But I do think that you will find many similarities between Plano and Schaumburg.

Plano and Allen schools are better than Frisco. As far as the commute, Plano would be better than the other two.

The Indian community in the Dallas area is very large. Its number 6 in the United States in terms of size. There are three main centers:

1) Valley Ranch/Las Collinas/Hackberry Creek in Irving (that is the largest)
2) North Plano (particularly in the Hedgecoxe/Coit Area)
3) East Richardson

Lack of a large Indian community will not be a problem here at all. There are tons of Desi markets, Bollywood theaters, and a Desi Radio station (104.9 FM).
Not true. Both Frisco high schools closer to 121 are better than Allen and Plano east on average SAT alone...
DFW High Schools ranked by SAT 2012-2013

Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetbd View Post
We are also planning to move from Schaumburg IL to somewhere near Dallas,TX. We have not yet decided the city to move in.We are looking for good elementary schools which feeds into a nice middle school and so forth. In Schaumburg , its very lively during warmer months with many free events in the park district facilities etc. Can we expect the same in Dallas too. Which would be a good place to rent and then eventually to buy without changing school once enrolled. I am looking to rent for somewhere upto $ 1300 and to buy 250-300k.
Do you know where you'll be working? DFW is very spread out (as a sidenote, I find that the lower gas prices here are more than offset by the longer driving distances compared to Chicagoland). The Plano/Frisco/Allen debates aren't much use if your job is in Ft. Worth, for example.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,007 times
I have a friend that moved down here from Schaumburg with his family years ago. He dearly misses Chicago(mostly because he stays in the burbs and hasn't ventured much around Dallas), but he hasn't moved back.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,412 times
Thanks for the quick replies. @ synchronicity. My job location is not finalized yet. Hope it will be in Plano. Which place is good for renting (1300$)? and then to buy?(under 350k)

Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I have a friend that moved down here from Schaumburg with his family years ago. He dearly misses Chicago(mostly because he stays in the burbs and hasn't ventured much around Dallas), but he hasn't moved back.
If you are an urban creature and moved from Chicago, there just isnt anything in Texas to compare. If you can get past it, its a great place to live.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
If you are an urban creature and moved from Chicago, there just isnt anything in Texas to compare. If you can get past it, its a great place to live.
He lived in a suburb there, so he wasn't really urban to begin with. He's never been to uptown and only to downtown once about 3 years ago but says there is nothing to do in Dallas. He hasn't explored the area and just stays in Plano 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas