Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 PM

222 posts, read 602,722 times

Advertisements

Hello, all,

I've posted on this forum before regarding my journey toward buying my first home. As a reminder, I'm a single, AA female in my 30's, work in N Plano and very involved in church in Duncanville area.

Here is the situation: I have found a neighborhood that I like in Sachse; however, the current phase is almost sold out for the floorplan I like, and the few remaining lots back up to retaining walls, which I don't really like. The good news is, the sales agent informed me that will be building another phase of the community; bad news is, they won't even open that phase until toward the end of the year.

My current lease in Addison is coming up at the end of July. I've been here for three years, and would like to move, for more space and just for a new experience (extremely thin walls make it very hard to entertain). I originally thought this would be my last year and I would go into a home. Since it's going to take a little longer, I just don't know if I should move or just stay here. I figure, even if the new phase opens when they expect, by the time I go through the process to buy and then have the house built, it would be another year from now before I would even move in, so I would basically have to sign a year lease regardless. I wonder if this would be a good time to move uptown/downtown for a year. To be honest, out of everything I've looked at, I do like the community in Sachse best, but at the same time, I'm not 100% sure yet that Sachse is where I want to be for the long run (especially in the event that I get married in the next few years). Any thoughts? What are some good downtown/uptown apartment recommendations? I went to a baby shower at the Glass House a couple of weeks ago, and I REALLY liked the community and the setup, if that gives an indication. The rent there is probably crazy though. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Hello, all,

I've posted on this forum before regarding my journey toward buying my first home. As a reminder, I'm a single, AA female in my 30's, work in N Plano and very involved in church in Duncanville area.

Here is the situation: I have found a neighborhood that I like in Sachse; however, the current phase is almost sold out for the floorplan I like, and the few remaining lots back up to retaining walls, which I don't really like. The good news is, the sales agent informed me that will be building another phase of the community; bad news is, they won't even open that phase until toward the end of the year.

My current lease in Addison is coming up at the end of July. I've been here for three years, and would like to move, for more space and just for a new experience (extremely thin walls make it very hard to entertain). I originally thought this would be my last year and I would go into a home. Since it's going to take a little longer, I just don't know if I should move or just stay here. I figure, even if the new phase opens when they expect, by the time I go through the process to buy and then have the house built, it would be another year from now before I would even move in, so I would basically have to sign a year lease regardless. I wonder if this would be a good time to move uptown/downtown for a year. To be honest, out of everything I've looked at, I do like the community in Sachse best, but at the same time, I'm not 100% sure yet that Sachse is where I want to be for the long run (especially in the event that I get married in the next few years). Any thoughts? What are some good downtown/uptown apartment recommendations? I went to a baby shower at the Glass House a couple of weeks ago, and I REALLY liked the community and the setup, if that gives an indication. The rent there is probably crazy though. Thanks in advance for any insight!
If you buy new in Sachse and sell in 3-4 years, you are likely to lose money on the deal. Honestly...if you're not willing to stay put in a house for at least five years and preferably ten or more, my advice would be to keep renting. And if you want to try uptown/downtown living, now is a great time in your life to do that since you're single. Just my 2 cents!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Hello, all,

Hi reginasmu,

I'm actually facing something similar. I live in Lewisville and work in Coppel, now is an excellent time to buy a house but I'm not 100% ready and it would be wise not to rush into something until you are ready. so i asked my apartment complex what the break lease fee was and it was sooo inexpensive. So I'm resigning a 1 year lease and if 6 months from now I'm ready to buy a house then I'll just break my lease and become a homeowner. As far as uptown/downtown apartment complexes, I love that area. If I didn't work in North Dallas that is where I would live. I saw this amazing complex called Gables Uptown Tower. I am a skyscraper guy so that looked great for me. In my opinion, sign a year lease. It will be cheaper in the long run and if when they finish building the new phase you may be able to talk them into just letting you move over there and keeping your same lease. Don't do month to month because that is a gigantic money drain. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:13 PM

222 posts, read 602,722 times
TalentedMrHenry,

Sorry I missed your post. Thanks for that advice. Yeah, I'm going to give myself another year to really see if i'm ready to settle down in Sachse for at least 5 years.

Regarding downtown, I did go by Gables Republic Tower, upon the recommendation of another CD member very familiar with the property, and I really liked it. I'm definitely considering it! I might look at a couple more downtown communities to compare, but, that one is really nice. I work in N Plano, but I would still consider living Downtown.

Thanks again for your feedback and good luck with your search as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedMrHenry View Post
Hi reginasmu,

I'm actually facing something similar. I live in Lewisville and work in Coppel, now is an excellent time to buy a house but I'm not 100% ready and it would be wise not to rush into something until you are ready. so i asked my apartment complex what the break lease fee was and it was sooo inexpensive. So I'm resigning a 1 year lease and if 6 months from now I'm ready to buy a house then I'll just break my lease and become a homeowner. As far as uptown/downtown apartment complexes, I love that area. If I didn't work in North Dallas that is where I would live. I saw this amazing complex called Gables Uptown Tower. I am a skyscraper guy so that looked great for me. In my opinion, sign a year lease. It will be cheaper in the long run and if when they finish building the new phase you may be able to talk them into just letting you move over there and keeping your same lease. Don't do month to month because that is a gigantic money drain. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:44 PM

186 posts, read 445,078 times
Rent & be free until you are ready to have kids and need a permanent anchor with good schools. Have fun and save money.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:10 PM

383 posts, read 731,342 times
Would you feel comfortable living in Sachse as an AA lady? The place does have a discernible North Texas Klan vibe...

Just sayin....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas