U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 AM

98 posts, read 191,606 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing a few different numbers. I know that it's over 6mil but I've also heard that it was almost 7mil(like 6.9mil). I know that the DFW is the fastest growing metroplex in the country from another posting and also reading it too. Do you think at the rate it's growing will the area reach an ultimate 7 million? I know many people who has moved out there and they say it's getting crowded. Well it just may get even more crowded cause I'm thinking about moving there too. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
JJG

10,809 posts, read 10,407,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne00 View Post
I have been hearing a few different numbers. I know that it's over 6mil but I've also heard that it was almost 7mil(like 6.9mil). I know that the DFW is the fastest growing metroplex in the country from another posting and also reading it too. Do you think at the rate it's growing will the area reach an ultimate 7 million? I know many people who has moved out there and they say it's getting crowded. Well it just may get even more crowded cause I'm thinking about moving there too. lol
Um,

1. DFW is the ONLY Metroplex (that's the name that was given to DFW and DFW alone). and

2. the numbers as of last year are: 6,603,870

It'll be 7 mil sooner than later.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,852,199 times
I think DFW wont slow in growth until it hits 9 million. I wouldnt call it crowded because there is so much land, 95% of the growth is suburban.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 AM

98 posts, read 191,606 times
Does it has the space to hold 8 million if possible?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 AM
JJG

10,809 posts, read 10,407,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne00 View Post
does it has the space to hold 8 million if possible?
plenty.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 AM

674 posts, read 873,543 times
The population now is around 6.8 mill now right?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 AM

674 posts, read 873,543 times
Default What's Up With Rand Mc Nally 2013 Atlas for Dallas Population?

I was looking at the 2012 Rand McNally atlas and the population of Dallas was listed at 1,279,000, 2010 population, but when I looked in the brand new 2013 edition it listed the population as 1,197,000. I know Dallas hasn't lost 82,000 people in 3 years. So what's up? Has anyone else noticed this or other population disparities?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-07-2012 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: merged threads - please keep this population discussion down to one thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 AM

4,525 posts, read 5,817,886 times

Not sure what you're looking at w/o a link, but 1,197,816 is the 2010 U.S. Census Population for the City of Dallas (up from 2000 Census of 1,188,580 by 0.8%). See: Dallas (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

No estimate increase listed for the City of Dallas for 2011, (only for Dallas County), but the Dallas Metro Ranked #1 for the top 10 metro areas w/largest increase from 4/01/10 to 07/01/11 w/154,774. See: Newsroom 4/05/12: Population: Census Estimates Show New Patterns of Growth Nationwide.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,475,739 times
The city of Dallas -- meaning what's within the city limits -- has barely grown at all in terms of population, unlike every other Texas city. The Dallas area, meaning the Metroplex, on the other hand, has grown plenty. Most of the population growth in the region has been in Fort Worth, northern Tarrant County, Collin County, Denton County, Rockwall County and all the burbs. This little tidbit has caused no end of handwringing with Dallas officials as can be read in this NY Times article. Unless there's a lot of infill built in, say, the Southern sector of the city where there's still room to grow, it may be this way for awhile as Dallas is pretty much built out. Some in Fort Worth are eagerly waiting the day, still well into the future, when their population with match or surpass that of Dallas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/us/27ttdallas.html

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 AM

6,131 posts, read 3,713,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
The city of Dallas -- meaning what's within the city limits -- has barely grown at all in terms of population, unlike every other Texas city. The Dallas area, meaning the Metroplex, on the other hand, has grown plenty. Most of the population growth in the region has been in Fort Worth, northern Tarrant County, Collin County, Denton County, Rockwall County and all the burbs. This little tidbit has caused no end of handwringing with Dallas officials as can be read in this NY Times article. Unless there's a lot of infill built in, say, the Southern sector of the city where there's still room to grow, it may be this way for awhile as Dallas is pretty much built out. Some in Fort Worth are eagerly waiting the day, still well into the future, when their population with match or surpass that of Dallas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/us/27ttdallas.html
True dat! I agree witcha... There is [practically] no more room (land area) for any additional population growth within the city limits of [the actual city of] Dallas. There hasn't been any more [residential] building area inside the city limits of Dallas for many years. However, all the surrounding suburbs of Dallas (Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Richardson, Carrollton, Addison, Irving, Allen, etc.) that make-up the 'Dallas area' (Metroplex) have grown tremendously in recent years, and will continue to grow as long as there is area available to build housing and add to the population...unlike Dallas, which has long ago run out of room, thus the population standstill for 'the city limits of Dallas'.

Who knows what the future holds - the Dallas Metro area may include Sherman, TX decades from now. Hell, the Metro area may even spill over the Oklahoma line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas