Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I drive home from work down Walnut Hill Ln through Dallas in the middle of the night. Once I saw what I was pretty sure was a coyote crossing Walnut Hill walking down Inwood. Twice, about a week apart, I saw a fox in roughly the exact same spot near Preston Rd. They're definitely not only in the suburbs.
Right. Of course, Inwood & Walnut Hall is an area where lots are typically an acre or more (so there's room for wildlife, including lots of rabbits). My friend lives across the creek from Ross Perot (on Inwood between Walnut Hill and Royal), and he once got a call from Ross asking what my friend was going to about the fox Ross had spotted on my friend's property. My friend has also seen a bobcat on his property.

In my neck of the woods (Lake Highlands), I once spotted a coyote on the edge or Harry Moss Park, but that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Right. Of course, Inwood & Walnut Hall is an area where lots are typically an acre or more (so there's room for wildlife, including lots of rabbits). My friend lives across the creek from Ross Perot (on Inwood between Walnut Hill and Royal), and he once got a call from Ross asking what my friend was going to about the fox Ross had spotted on my friend's property. My friend has also seen a bobcat on his property.

In my neck of the woods (Lake Highlands), I once spotted a coyote on the edge or Harry Moss Park, but that's it.
My childhood home was on that creek (though closer to Forest and not on Strait Ln!). There were foxes, bobcats, and the very rare coyote. I can't imagine what Ross thought your friend should do. The animals follow the creek. Take one away and there are plenty to take it's place.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
If you are going to live in 'the city', the only animals you have to worry about are mosquitoes and various ants. Bugs like roaches inside your house can be taken care of via clean habits or regular spraying. It's much more rare in TX to see a coyote in the middle of DFW than it is in Southern CA. If you are going to live on acreage or on the edge of the metro area, then you might need to worry about wildlife bothering your dogs. In the middle, it's not a concern at all.
That's simply not correct. I live at Royal and Inwood there are dozens - more likely hundreds of coyotes around here. They walk off with cats and little dogs regularly.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Dallas has coyotes. There are also a handful of poisonous snakes - copperheads, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, and very rarely coral snakes. Dallas-Fort Worth is also on the western edge of gator territory. Alligator sightings are infrequent, but not uncommon. "Palmetto Bugs" (aka cockroaches) are common. Armadillos are mostly harmless, but they can do heavy-duty damage to your lawn looking for grubs and they do carry the bacteria that causes leprosy.

Fire ants are widespread, and your odds of getting stung by them are pretty high.

Fireflies, mosquitoes, and skunks are all common as well.

Mediterranean House Geckos are also abundant in DFW. They usually congregate around lit porches at night and pick off flying insects that are attracted to light. They're quick and they will get into your house.
I'm not sure which part of this post is more terrifying. Great info, despite being disturbing. Thanks! - STS

Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's simply not correct. I live at Royal and Inwood there are dozens - more likely hundreds of coyotes around here. They walk off with cats and little dogs regularly.
Like the OP, I have two tiny dogs, so this is not news to my ears. Eeek!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Don't let it worry you too much. It really depends on where you are. If you are near the creeks and don't have an enclosed backyard, then I'd watch the small dogs. I think, out of everything people have mentioned, fire ants are the biggest threat. They are miserable!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,054,938 times
Maybe it's just that I'm used to them, but I don't see what the big deal is with fire ants. Their nests are large and hard to miss. If you still step on one, you can feel it and step out before they have time to crawl on you. If despite all this you still get stung, you get some bumps that itch for a day or two. Plus they were very common in East Texas but I can't recall seeing a single nest since moving to Dallas.

I'd happily take the fire ants back in place of mosquitoes. I'd rather itch for a day or two than itch for a day or two and have dengue fever. You can easily avoid fire ant mounds but when you're walking down a trail through the woods and look back to see hundreds of mosquitoes closing in on your six, you can't do anything but run for it. Oh, and fire ants are better than chiggers too. You never even see those buggers; you just get bumps and start itching like mad.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post

If you are with your dog on a walk for example - no problem. If your little dog escapes the safety of your home/fenced back yard he'd be in some peril around here. Especially very early or late in day or most especially at night.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,023,974 times
I've seen coyotes twice on my walks in far North Dallas in the last two years.

Also been seeing plenty of small rabbits this spring!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 AM

104 posts, read 164,678 times
Can any of these animals get in board on board fences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas