Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,006 times

Advertisements

It's a tough spring this year .We had the same thing in North Plano 2 weeks ago it was in a very limited area but not one house escaped it. The damages were similar to a F1 tornado. We already have a hard time finding somebody to replace our fence , the waiting list is long .....we are not talking about our roof......their schedules are crazy ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
When this happens it means that the storm has strong internal rotation and the gyroscopic coupling is taking it off the mean path of the upper level winds. This is a major danger sign.

I drove through the storm's initiation including the hail, then parked at the high spot at Mccoy/PGBT and watched it become a supercell. Got some nice videos of its transition to supercell status including the wall cloud/strong rotation over Trinity Mills/Preston area.

The weather models the last few days and the soundings have forecasted possible updrafts of 100-180 mph. Enough for very, very large hail if everything came together. The area was lucky. This storm could have been much worse. If we had not had the night time storm debris over us most of the morning and the storms down south, it would have been much stronger.

Today could be a repeat of yesterday as the atmosphere remains the same.
Standing outside my house near Royal and Inwood, twas interesting to note high dark clouds moved briskly in the southeasterly direction while winds blew cold low pressure feeling air precisely the opposite direction - I was south of the cell for perspective. I wonder how close that cell came to forming a tornado?

We had maybe 1/64 inch of rain. Some hellacious looking lightening strikes blasted forth, I'm guessing around Northpark.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Standing outside my house near Royal and Inwood, twas interesting to note high dark clouds moved briskly in the southeasterly direction while winds blew cold low pressure feeling air precisely the opposite direction - I was south of the cell for perspective. I wonder how close that cell came to forming a tornado?

We had maybe 1/64 inch of rain. Some hellacious looking lightening strikes blasted forth, I'm guessing around Northpark.
I'm at work, nearish to Northpark. There's a lot of debris from trees on the ground here but no broken glass or anything laying around.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
I was shocked by all these hail stories on the news this morning! My goodness! Especially the house with the whole broken greenhouse with shards of glass hanging down and still falling one by one.

We saw nary a piece of hail at our house, thank goodness.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I was shocked by all these hail stories on the news this morning! My goodness! Especially the house with the whole broken greenhouse with shards of glass hanging down and still falling one by one.

We saw nary a piece of hail at our house, thank goodness.
Us either, according to my neighbors; they said it hardly hailed at all near Belt Line and Floyd, but we had a good pounding at Coit & Campbell (quarter-sized) with buckets of rain between 5-6pm yesterday; the parking lot at that 24 Hour Fitness was like a lake. That's why I park on the eastern side of the building there, since the parking lot slopes down on the other side and catches all the water. If there's even a sliver of a chance of rain, never park in the north parking lot there!

I didn't see any rain for the rest of the evening in the neighborhood, just the occasional rumble of thunder before 7, then nothing but humidity and TONS of mosquitoes.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
That storm was crazy!!! On radar it didn't look like much at first but it manifested into something fierce in a short amount of time! I took our son to Dave & Busters over on Walnut & 75 just before it hit. When we got done there was about a half dozen cars missing windows. The glass on my truck survived but the cab took a beating.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM

216 posts, read 343,871 times
We had both cars pelted - my husband's is most likely totaled. We are off of Martel between Skillman and Abrams. Amazingly it did not blow out our skylight - but it did some hellacious damage to our trees. I am having an insurance adjuster out to check the roof because lord knows. I have never in my life seen hail like that. Macbeth I am SOOO sorry about what happened to you guys. Insane. I think it is awesome that you took hits to save the ducks. Did that duck lose an eye?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
They're doing a great job on the weather channel reporting about the hail damage in and around Dallas and the many autos and buildings affected, especially nice shots of the Lakewood Theater with the marque shattered - Lakewooder would be proud, he couldn't have done better himself! Tough to make the news in this manner, though.

Would hate to be an insurance agent today! But, the roofers, window and auto repair places are smiling w/dollar signs dancing in their eyes!

Just the Dallas way of boosting the economy, folks!
My roofer said he was on his way over to my neighborhood before I even called him. He's done many roofs over here and wanted to see how they did. I feel so bad for the people who had their car windows blown. You can tarp a roof, but people need their cars to get to work.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:44 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
I am trusting that the trees will bounce back and leaf out again. I hate anyone losing property to something like this but tree damage tears my heart out. A car or house can be repaired or replaced, but a decades old tree can't. Thankful there were no serious injuries.

What is it about Texas and hail? I grew up in Georgia, we got frequent thunderstorms, but hail was a rare occurrence and when we did get it, always small, none of this stuff the size of a baseball.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,436,376 times

(I did not take these photos)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas