Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,620 times

Advertisements

I am one block south of Lovers in between Abrams and Skillman and most of the homes on my block have roofers signs in front. This is only 1 year and 2 weeks from last time roof was totaled. I guess that no matter where you live there is always something that can hit ya.

Fortunately I have a good insurance company and also a good roofer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times

Has anyone heard how Lakewooder faired? Guess he must be awfully busy with his properties as well as his own home and most likely, his neighbors and friends. If anyone is in touch with him, please let him know we've been concerned.

And, Macbeth, did you post a video on the weather channel with your bruises? I just saw a glimpse of a clip they were showing with a guy that had golf-ball size red welts all over his chest and back... looked like measles magnified! So, is a helmet and body armor on your shopping list for you and your wife and ducks now? Sure hope you all have a speedy recovery!

Oh, then there was another one they were showing of a girl in Garland jumping on her trampoline... and every time she would jump it would make all of the hail that was on the trampoline bounce in the air with her... with the hail still coming down! At least it was small, but geez, what are some people thinking!?!

Not making light of all the damage incurred, just making light!

Take care all and have a great weekend!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Of course there have been bigger hail storms. May Fest in 1995 injured a lot of people and was costly. I think the cost was a billion something. Earlier this year they had a hail storm northeast of Amarillo where the hail drifted waist deep in places. The only reason it got a brief mention on the news was because they had to shut a highway down. Same deal with the Prosper storm last year, the coverage wasn't less because the area wasn't affluent enough, it was because not as many people were involved. Though I do agree the coverage could have been a lot better on that one and a few others (imo, new's crews are lazy, but that's another story). This storm was like the Forney, Arlington and Lancaster storms on April 3rd, it affected tons of people and was very costly (400 million isn't chump change).

Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Rental Cars Limited After Hail Storm

...early damage estimates are about $400 million is expected to go up.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
And of course the pace of getting anything done is glacial. They Adjuster for the House is coming Sunday, but the auto claims department said they wouldn't even be calling us back to set an appointment for 72 hours. And this isn't Bob's Storm door and Auto insurance company, this is State Farm. Meanwhile we have 2 useless cars. My wife got a ride to work today, but then we are stuck in the house for the weekend.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
And of course the pace of getting anything done is glacial. They Adjuster for the House is coming Sunday, but the auto claims department said they wouldn't even be calling us back to set an appointment for 72 hours. And this isn't Bob's Storm door and Auto insurance company, this is State Farm. Meanwhile we have 2 useless cars. My wife got a ride to work today, but then we are stuck in the house for the weekend.
Many cars will be totaled due to the hail damage. Some cars were left outside and filled [through broken windows] with rain from this morning's stormy weather. Might as well have a car totaled that's borderline already instead of going through the pain (and time) of having it repaired...with a bunch of bondo and a quick-n-dirty paint job. Roll the windows down and fill the damn thing up with a garden hose - call that jalopy a bird bath... Total it............

Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Someone hit me (fender bender) Sunday...guess this is why I cannot get in contact with the claims agent no matter how hard I try.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Lakewooder reporting - I am fine, thanks for asking -- my JH roof will need to be replaced - it's about 10 years old. I have four skylights and two had the outer pane broken but the inside pane is ok. Had four windows broken, and one was the 1916 original wavy glass Fortunately I was not at home or I would have a broken windshield.

Everyone seemed very shell-shocked - I have never seen anything like that in Dallas and I have lived here almost all my life - a 75 year-old native said the same thing - she was driving by Tenison Golf Course and the steam off the hail was like fog and the street was covered in leaves, making it difficult to drive.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:37 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Wow, really serious, I hope everyone injured will be ok (pets and all.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's probably cold comfort to those affected, but this was just a moderately bad hail storm, not a tsunami or a hurricane. It hardly qualifies as an event worthy of some of the emotional chest-thumping I saw on television this morning.
?? If anything, hurricanes are over-covered and people over-react. Maybe because you see them coming days ahead. It's usually just a strong, sustained wind, and not much life-threatening danger unless one lives right near the water where there may be a storm surge or in a city below sea level like New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
What is it about Texas and hail? I grew up in Georgia, we got frequent thunderstorms, but hail was a rare occurrence and when we did get it, always small, none of this stuff the size of a baseball.
It's not all of Texas. Mostly just North Texas that gets the periodic monster hail and tornados. Sometimes Central Texas, like the '09 hail storm we had in Austin. You don't really see these in southeast or south Texas.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:39 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Now saying insured losses could hit 2 Billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas