Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM

102 posts, read 319,667 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the powertochoose.org website and I see that there are many companies to choose from for electricity, which is new to me since I am moving from out of state. I am going to be renting a townhome in Dallas for 12 months and they gave me some suggestions of companies. What I would like to know is what should I be looking for with regard to money per kwh? Do most look for less than $0.09 per kwh or is it more? I obviously don't want to go with some fly by night company but I don't want to be paying $.12 per kwh if most out there cost less. Which according to this website, there are many that cost less. Any suggestions for companies and costs per kwh would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 AM

127 posts, read 257,789 times
Couple your "power to choose" search with a search on Texas Electricity Ratings | Compare Texas Electric Companies | Save on Texas Electricity Service as well.
For me I choose StarTex Power. They were middle of the road on price (not the cheapest and not the most expensive) but also had one of the highest positive ratings. Keep in mind too that more reviews are negative because most people only review if they have a bad experience.
And yes, .08-.09 is a good range for power, anything higher is no bueno.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Do most folks out there do the fixed rate? I just feel like they could really jack up the rates on a variable plan.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 PM

616 posts, read 1,034,033 times
Here's my amateur theory on why most people should choose the fixed rate:

Choosing a variable rate is like trading an options contract, betting in the financial markets -- it amounts to betting that you know the rate will go down. But, what are the chances that you know better than the power company, whether the rate will go down? Their knowledge of the future market is probably better than that of any consumer, and they presumably have set their prices so that they will come out ahead even if the market price goes down. In other words, if the average person bets against the experts (i.e. the power company), they are probably going to lose.

In contrast, if you choose the fixed rate, you might "lose" if the rate goes down in the future, but in the event of a completely unexpected spike in rates (i.e. unexpected even to the power company), you are protected. It also allows you to plan your budget with confidence. Plus, most people are risk-averse anyway.

It's the same logic that says most people should invest in no-load index funds, rather than trying to pick individual stocks.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,498,007 times
Anybody considering the TXU "Nights Free" plan?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM

I am trying to decide between StarTex and Champion Energy. I went on some website for rating the companies and StarTex seemed to have the best reviews. I don't know though, I think it is kind of like flipping a coin. What a jacked up system.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 PM

383 posts, read 729,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Anybody considering the TXU "Nights Free" plan?
Without even looking at it and knowing TXU, there's got to be a catch like a seriously jacked up fixed rate or a variable with an interesting multiplier.

To the original poster, 0.8-0.9 is pretty good. Like another poster I use Startex because they had a middle of the road price and they're a solid company. You can get cheaper than them but you will find 'fly by night' companies around - to become an REP requires only a $1m bond: which is an amazingly low barrier to entry, and the first place they skimp on is the customer service department, followed by billing....

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM

164 posts, read 588,478 times
I'm in the process of choosing a provider now. I had Green Mountain 100% renewable @ 8.2 cents for the last 6 months, which I thought was a fair rate. They want 11.2 cents now. I'm looking at 8 to 9 cents as well, Reliant looks OK, so do a few others, pick an established company.... yeah it's confusing.
The free nights on TXU isn't a good deal for most...if you stay up all night watching tv and doing laundry etc., it might be. It's very high during daytime hours.

Last edited by Handsome Stranger; 06-19-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM

164 posts, read 588,478 times
The rate I see on TXU for the free nights is 11.9 cents for 18 months with a $295 cancellation fee. There might be a 12 month plan, not showing up on plans for my area.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 PM

931 posts, read 2,124,991 times
I am paying 6.8 cents total which includes the pass through and special meter cost by Oncor. It can go up with not much notice but I can opt out at any time and get a fixed contract. Several years ago we had to pay high rates justified on high natural gas prices. Now that the gas price is low as it has been in many years the rates are still artificially high.

When I go through powertochose there is really not that much to choose from prices are pretty much the same.

If you are going to be here for 12 months get a 1 year contract it should protect you on the supplier side although Oncor is at PUC right now trying to get higher rates.

Enron did not just shaft California it shafted all the consumers in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas