Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:00 PM

54 posts, read 187,552 times

Advertisements

I moved to Uptown recently from the Midwest and was enjoying all the wonderful things Dallas offered, until an amazing string of incidents makes me think that something is horribly wrong with Dallasites.
#1. Someone smashed in my passenger window at Gold's Gym and took my purse (hidden under a sweatshirt) and proceeded to go on a spending spree with the credit/debit cards; the merchandise in the purse (cell phone, new camera, designer wallet, prescrip. glasses, cash, etc. etc. was worth about $4,000 as I had everything in there just returning from a trip). I've spent 80+ hours cancelling bank accts., charge cards, putting on fraud alerts on credit, redirecting auto-withdrawls, etc. A true nightmare.
#2. My husband gave his credit card to the bartender/waiter at Christie's to start a tab, decided to have dinner and ultimately paid cash for the $50 or so. He discovered a week later that the waiter had also run the card through (I assume he pocketed the $50 cash).
#3. I gave a $20 bill to the cashier at a nearby Tom Thumb for groceries totalling $17.50. The cashier gave me 50 cents change, then moved onto the next customer. I asked, "what about the other $2.00?" and she quickly went into her drawer and handed it to me. I'm thinking she skims off a little change every once in a while and most people don't notice.
#4. A handyman quoted me $300. to replace an exterior door casing, and to tighten up a shower door. He came the next week to do it and decided replacing the whole casing would be too big of a job and just cut off and replaced a 6" lower section. When I paid him, I said it shouldn't be $300 since he didn't do the full job on the ext. door. He said, Oh yes, it would still be $300 since tightening up the shower door took longer than he originally thought. He was here about 1.5 hours.
#5. I went to a nearby salon to get partial highlights and was quoted $85. Made an appt. for the next week, and walked out with a bill for $115, with no further services involved.

OK, so I am in my 40s, grew up in Chicago, and have been dealing with people my entire life and nothing like this has ever happened to me (at least not so many times in the span of 2 weeks!) I am very careful, watchful, etc. Now, I feel like if I let my guard down for a minute in Dallas, someone is there just waiting to rip me off. Have people just gotten greedy and nervy because of the recession? This has soured my love affair with Dallas! Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,535,781 times
Sorry to hear your string of bad luck, but first things first, you NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER leave your purse or valuable belongs in your car hidden under ANYTHING. It's just begging to be broken into and have those things stolen. Most cases, someone was watching the parking lot of the gym you were going into and either a) noticed you placing a sweatshirt over your purse or b) noticed you didn't go into the gym with a purse therefor giving that person every suspicion that something was left in your car that was meant to be stolen. There are signs up everywhere in the city of Dallas "Lock, Hide, Take" however the hiding part is BS. Take everything valuable with you, and if you can't don't bring it in your car.

I've heard of waiters/bar staff running a card after paying $50 in cash. If you have a receipt for the cash tab and proof of your CC bill I would contact the manager or owner of the bar/restaurant and try to have the problem resolved. Normally the receipt will have the name of the waiter on it and I would totally bring that to their attention.

What hair salon did you go to? There are several places that charge way more than they should because of where they are located or the name they carry on their store. However if you were quoted one price and walked out with a bill for another that is a problem. I would not go back and possibly report them to the BBB for that. Look for another salon to go to and don't just call to get a quote, I would walk in.

As for the Tom Thumb situation, it was probably a mistake of a tired cashier, I wouldn't hold that one to high on the list.

Hopefully you'll have some better luck. Dallas isn't all that bad, but just be careful and smart about what you do as far as leaving things in your car. That is the big thing, everything is else is someone elses stupidity.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,736,966 times
bio-rhythms...

Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 PM

229 posts, read 606,057 times
when it rains, it pours. not necessarily a dallas thing. it will get better

glad to have you in the neighborhood though!!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,894,258 times
No. They think because you are from out of town that they can do it. They think it is easier. When I was in Austin. They tried some crap like that with me.

Are you a minority by any chance? Some people really like to mess with the minorities.

Now highlights are expensive. And I know they will charge you extra if they feel that they had to work longer or use extra fluid on your hair. It is a pain to pay for it. But I would suggest you do your own highlights or don't do them at all. For example, I cut and style my own hair using cheapo equipment. And my hair is ultra trendy. These days in times of a recession. You really shouldn't be throwing your money like that to salon parasites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannewebx View Post
I moved to Uptown recently from the Midwest and was enjoying all the wonderful things Dallas offered, until an amazing string of incidents makes me think that something is horribly wrong with Dallasites.
#1. Someone smashed in my passenger window at Gold's Gym and took my purse (hidden under a sweatshirt) and proceeded to go on a spending spree with the credit/debit cards; the merchandise in the purse (cell phone, new camera, designer wallet, prescrip. glasses, cash, etc. etc. was worth about $4,000 as I had everything in there just returning from a trip). I've spent 80+ hours cancelling bank accts., charge cards, putting on fraud alerts on credit, redirecting auto-withdrawls, etc. A true nightmare.
#2. My husband gave his credit card to the bartender/waiter at Christie's to start a tab, decided to have dinner and ultimately paid cash for the $50 or so. He discovered a week later that the waiter had also run the card through (I assume he pocketed the $50 cash).
#3. I gave a $20 bill to the cashier at a nearby Tom Thumb for groceries totalling $17.50. The cashier gave me 50 cents change, then moved onto the next customer. I asked, "what about the other $2.00?" and she quickly went into her drawer and handed it to me. I'm thinking she skims off a little change every once in a while and most people don't notice.
#4. A handyman quoted me $300. to replace an exterior door casing, and to tighten up a shower door. He came the next week to do it and decided replacing the whole casing would be too big of a job and just cut off and replaced a 6" lower section. When I paid him, I said it shouldn't be $300 since he didn't do the full job on the ext. door. He said, Oh yes, it would still be $300 since tightening up the shower door took longer than he originally thought. He was here about 1.5 hours.
#5. I went to a nearby salon to get partial highlights and was quoted $85. Made an appt. for the next week, and walked out with a bill for $115, with no further services involved.

OK, so I am in my 40s, grew up in Chicago, and have been dealing with people my entire life and nothing like this has ever happened to me (at least not so many times in the span of 2 weeks!) I am very careful, watchful, etc. Now, I feel like if I let my guard down for a minute in Dallas, someone is there just waiting to rip me off. Have people just gotten greedy and nervy because of the recession? This has soured my love affair with Dallas! Any thoughts?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,733,643 times
Sorry but leaving anything showing in the car is just plain dumb - or extremely naive at best. Why would not a thief think something was under the sweatshirt? Never ever leave anything slowing.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:44 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,258,211 times
In my opinion, most people are not honest and like to live off other people. The human race is in a sad state.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 PM

40,939 posts, read 49,070,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
In my opinion, most people are not honest and like to live off other people. The human race is in a sad state.
What's sad is when people feel this way.

OP, sounds like you need to stand up to some of the people who use & abuse you. The word no works pretty well. You control what you pay to others so before you order services you should have a clear understanding with the person what they are delivering and what you are receiving.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,760,854 times
Doesn't the gym have lockers? Leaving $4,000 in your car is a huge mistake in any big city, not just Dallas.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM

19 posts, read 48,552 times
And this is why I am moving to Colorado! I'm sorry, been here all my life and you know what, people in DFW behave that way now yes. I am sorry to hear of what you had to go through. Makes my stomach turn thinking about it. I've done that before and it is pure hell. See here's the problem...((excuse me as I shove my foot down my throat here, but....))) DFW has gone downhill fast in the past 10 years....it really has. People are on the I plan here. They have more road rage than the average because they are so mad and angry...people here have become....everything our parents taught us not to do! My best asvice is run back up North...away from the border states.Texas is quickly becoming North Mexico!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannewebx View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas