Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:50 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times

Advertisements

Returned from a visit to Dallas yesterday and just some observations as a first time visitor.

Spent the majority of my time in the downtown Dallas area so what I am about to say mainly concerns that area.

• Crickets were everywhere on the streets of downtown Dallas! I have never seen so many crickets on the walls of buildings, falling out of trees and hopping around on sidewalks in all my life. What is up with the cricket problem in Dallas?
  • Very pretty city (reminded me a little of Manhattan), but the heat is ungodly.
  • Never seen a city with so many one way streets!
  • Traffic on the interstate in the middle of the day! Expected to see traffic (just like other cities) during rush hours but there is traffic in Dallas in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
The cricket thing is just temporary. Once in a while (annually or perhaps less often) they show up in huge numbers downtown for a short time.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The cricket thing is just temporary. Once in a while (annually or perhaps less often) they show up in huge numbers downtown for a short time.
Interesting, wonder what attracts them to downtown Dallas in such large numbers. They are quite annoying!!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Returned from a visit to Dallas yesterday and just some observations as a first time visitor.

Spent the majority of my time in the downtown Dallas area so what I am about to say mainly concerns that area.

• Crickets were everywhere on the streets of downtown Dallas! I have never seen so many crickets on the walls of buildings, falling out of trees and hopping around on sidewalks in all my life. What is up with the cricket problem in Dallas?
  • Very pretty city (reminded me a little of Manhattan), but the heat is ungodly.
  • Traffic on the interstate in the middle of the day! Expected to see traffic (just like other cities) during rush hours but there is traffic in Dallas in the afternoon.
The city will be changing some one way streets to two way by the end of the year. The 24 hour freeway traffic here has nothing on LA.

Downtown has it's charms and is finally starting to develop. The Uptown area draws a lot of development from the area that is considered the actual downtown, but the two areas are continuous and essentially function as one urban core. It will be interesting to see what the expansion and upgrade of the trolley system and the new deck park will do with the uptown/downtown connection. As for the heat, that's an unfortunate thing we have to deal with in Texas and because of it will keep this area will be more AC/Car friendly. We love our AC around here!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The city will be changing some one way streets to two way by the end of the year. The 24 hour freeway traffic here has nothing on LA.

Downtown has it's charms and is finally starting to develop. The Uptown area draws a lot of development from the area that is considered the actual downtown, but the two areas are continuous and essentially function as one urban core. It will be interesting to see what the expansion and upgrade of the trolley system and the new deck park will do with the uptown/downtown connection. As for the heat, that's an unfortunate thing we have to deal with in Texas and because of it will keep this area will be more AC/Car friendly. We love our AC around here!
Yeah changing those one way streets would be a good thing for downtown Dallas. Very confusing for someone who is driving and does not know their way around the city well. The traffic is not what shocked me......it was the fact that it was like that in the early afternoon.....can understand it being that way in the mornings (people going to work) and the evenings (people coming home from work) but not in the middle of the day. After experiencing the heat I feel sorry for you guys....the only way to enjoy the city is to stay in air conditioned buildings.....walking around becomes a chore with that kind of heat.

I have visited all kinds of places and have never experienced that kind of heat.....was sweating just standing still!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Yeah changing those one way streets would be a good thing for downtown Dallas. Very confusing for someone who is driving and does not know their way around the city well. The traffic is not what shocked me......it was the fact that it was like that in the early afternoon.....can understand it being that way in the mornings (people going to work) and the evenings (people coming home from work) but not in the middle of the day. After experiencing the heat I feel sorry for you guys....the only way to enjoy the city is to stay in air conditioned buildings.....walking around becomes a chore with that kind of heat.

I have visited all kinds of places and have never experienced that kind of heat.....was sweating just standing still!
It will get even hotter than this. It hasn't hit 100 yet.
This summer has already been cooler than last year which was bad. Outside of the summer months we have many months of sunny pleasant weather, despite a few cold snaps in late January to early February. We just tend to do our shopping in malls, hang by the pool with a nice cold drink and make the most of it.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:

Yes, Dallas gets its plague of crickets just about every year. They are everywhere. You are lucky that the warm winter brought them out early so you could experience them.

The heat is one reason that Dallas/Fort Worth didn't grow a lot until AC was available and affordable. Yes, this is a mild summer so far. It will be getting above 100* this week.

Never thought much about the one way streets. They just are.

Traffic is a way of life here. Wasn't there to see it, but it is probably worse during rush hour.

I do hope that you enjoyed your visit and will come back again when it is cooler.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Yes, Dallas gets its plague of crickets just about every year. They are everywhere. You are lucky that the warm winter brought them out early so you could experience them.

The heat is one reason that Dallas/Fort Worth didn't grow a lot until AC was available and affordable. Yes, this is a mild summer so far. It will be getting above 100* this week.

Never thought much about the one way streets. They just are.

Traffic is a way of life here. Wasn't there to see it, but it is probably worse during rush hour.

I do hope that you enjoyed your visit and will come back again when it is cooler.
I sure do intend to go back for another visit but as you mentioned when it is cooler. Those crickets are another matter though.....had to watch everywhere I stepped because I did not want to step on them....so gross!

Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post

Never thought much about the one way streets.

Me either! Have lived in three big cities and all have had their fair share of one way streets. I find the roundabouts in New England much harder to get used to if you are a driving tourist than one way streets.

I'll take crickets over the greenhead flies in the northeast any day!

Last edited by mami2emily; 06-24-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:

Wow! That is enough to scare the bejesus out of me. Thank you for sharing for those of us that haven't yet experienced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas