U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM

390 posts, read 675,925 times

Advertisements

I know it's summer, and pools are always busy in summer, especially when the kids get out for summer. But I just got back to the DFW area after being gone for about 10 years. 10 years ago, the pools were pretty busy in the summer, but now it's just plain ridiculous - it's not even worth it to go now. Pools are so congested that there's no room to actually swim. It also seems like in the past 10 years, few new public pool facilities have been built. In the Wylie area where I'm looking to live, there are hardly any pools, and the ones that do exist are crammed elbow to elbow. I can't even go swimming at indoor pools, as they are also packed. Why on Earth are there so few public pool facilities in this area? It's Texas, come on! There were pools everywhere in California, where I just came from, and they were never very crowded, even in the summer. Yet over here, public pools seem very scarce. It makes no sense! Why more businesses don't open up public pool facilities in this area truly baffles me. They'd make a killing. As a business owner myself, I'm tempted to tap into this market... It also seems few new houses are built with pools in the past 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM

8,251 posts, read 9,001,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
I know it's summer, and pools are always busy in summer, especially when the kids get out for summer. But I just got back to the DFW area after being gone for about 10 years. 10 years ago, the pools were pretty busy in the summer, but now it's just plain ridiculous - it's not even worth it to go now. Pools are so congested that there's no room to actually swim. It also seems like in the past 10 years, few new public pool facilities have been built. In the Wylie area where I'm looking to live, there are hardly any pools, and the ones that do exist are crammed elbow to elbow. I can't even go swimming at indoor pools, as they are also packed. Why on Earth are there so few public pool facilities in this area? It's Texas, come on! There were pools everywhere in California, where I just came from, and they were never very crowded, even in the summer. Yet over here, public pools seem very scarce. It makes no sense! Why more businesses don't open up public pool facilities in this area truly baffles me. They'd make a killing. As a business owner myself, I'm tempted to tap into this market... It also seems few new houses are built with pools in the past 10 years.
Things like lots of public pools are a tiny reason why California is in apocalyptically bad financial shape right now.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,932,878 times
Cities in this area are closing pools because they don't have the funds to maintain or staff them.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 AM

766 posts, read 1,357,400 times
In the suburbs, "all" the HOAs have their own private pools and folks not in an HOA put their own pool in. Heck, even folks who live in an HOA with a community pool will still put them in their backyards. In the city - people just have them in their back yards (if they can afford it). Most people who actual vote at the local level (look at that demographic) aren't going to want their city counsel to spend the money. Several communities do have 'splash parks' (water jets squirting up) - easier to maintain, no staff. But there are "family friendly" cities that have what your looking for Outdoor Waterpark Flower Mound Community Activity Center and of course there are the big water parks - Hawaiian Falls Waterpark! Garland The Colony Mansfield Roanoke Waco, Texas. So, yes, companies have built facilities that are 'public' (but not publically subsidized - ok, their water bills are probably subsidized to make up for the tax revenue...etc. etc...)

So, IMO we have few public pools because the "weathy" folks have theirs and don't want to subsidize for the rest of the folks. No judgement - just is. In CA, the government steps in and tells the "weathy" folks to subsidize the community pools and that gets you....where you are...

BTW - it's not just a Dallas thing - look at the northern suburbs of Atlanta (Alpharetta) - also warm and toasty - only 1 public pool for the whole city (like Flower Mound).

Last edited by carroll4628; 06-29-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM

23,970 posts, read 32,674,900 times
What the others said.

Richardson has multiple public pools, but it's the exception rather than the norm.

City of Richardson, TX : Aquatics

We're working with one fewer pool this year due to a big new rec center/pool being built at an existing rec/aquatics center in Heights Park.

The newer suburbs have tons of neighborhood pools but they're HOA-controlled. Dallas has lots of public pools but due to budget problems a lot of them are bone-dry throughout the summer. They may get a wild hair and fill them for 4th of July but seeing as it falls on a Wednesday this year, I doubt it.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:16 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,009,644 times
I've never personally been to Wylie, but on a map it looks like it's close enough to OakPoint Rec Center in Plano. The times I've been there, it's not been what I would consider crowded. It's $3 a day or so per person, and has an indoor part and outdoor part with a small waterpark.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 AM

186 posts, read 369,053 times
Most apartment communities, residential communities and big gyms have their own pools. Almost all luxury and many average homes have their private pools. There are many swim schools which also offer public swimming hours. Some cities like Plano have huge swimming pools in all of their recreation centers. Plano also has swim facilities in one of the junior high school. I am not sure about facilities in other towns but there must be some options in every town.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:36 PM

390 posts, read 675,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I've never personally been to Wylie, but on a map it looks like it's close enough to OakPoint Rec Center in Plano. The times I've been there, it's not been what I would consider crowded. It's $3 a day or so per person, and has an indoor part and outdoor part with a small waterpark.
Funny, I was there the other day (granted, at about 5 pm), and the outdoor pool was crawling with kids, and the indoor pool had 4-5 people in each swimming lane. Maybe I just need to go earlier in the day. Granted, it was also one of the nicest pool facilities I've ever been to. Plano has some of the best parks and recreation centers of any city I've ever been to.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM

186 posts, read 369,053 times
I agree that Plano is one suburb that offers a lot to their residents. East Allen also has a nice swimming facility that allows non residents. There is one in Coppell as well.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM

9,806 posts, read 20,426,795 times
We have two public pools in Grapevine and one of them is about to get a major remodel so it will be a mini water park!
City of Grapevine, Texas > Individual Departments > Parks and Recreation > Aquatics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas