Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 AM

126 posts, read 301,530 times

Advertisements

We are now considering buying a house which is in our price range and in a good community. However, it does not have a sprinkler system. This is the only one that we see without a sprinkler system.
It is still acceptable that I pay the money to install it. But this house was built in 1985 and is in coppell which is said to be an area with many foundation issues. I am worrying that it has foundation problem since it has been without sprinkler systme for 30years and I cannot tell how the previous owners keep it.
Should I continue with this one. Need your suggestion. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM

177 posts, read 311,844 times
Get a foundation engineer to inspect the home and you will find out if there are serious foundation issues

Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Do you see cracks on the interior and/or exterior? Do the doors close properly? Do the doors swing open or shut on their own?

Why would you freak out about foundation issues without even know if there are issues? Many people water just fine without sprinkler systems.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieplaya View Post
Get a foundation engineer to inspect the home and you will find out if there are serious foundation issues
Yes and you can get an inspection for free with most reputable companies.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Sprinkler systems are more efficient.

As to foundations, you already got good advice. If the home is on sandy soil or rock, you are probably ok. FM has a lot less of the clay that causes problems in other areas.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM

119 posts, read 247,798 times
If you are hoping to get the seller to cover/help cover *if* there are foundation issues, shouldn't you get an engineer and not a company? Curious because we have to get an inspection on the foundation due to cracks outside (ones inside are patched so no idea), but no issues with doors or noticeable sloping. Anyway, I am asking this both for myself and the OP... in the event they might want to get the foundation looked at.

I look at it this way--the amount of money I have to spend to get an inspection is well worth it rather than waiting until we try to sell the house and have to spend even more money on foundation issues that we chose to ignore.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
I wouldn't let the lack of a sprinkler system stop you from buying the right house if the floorplan and location fit your needs.

Just do your own due diligence with inspections and install the sprinkler system yourself. Depending on the lot size, budget between 2-3K.

You may want to do your mechanical inspection first because it's cheaper, then the structural one.

Naima

Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
I bet this house is not too far from us...same situation here. 50% of the homes we looked at in Coppell (maybe more) had foundation work done in the past or needed work done. We initially steered away from all homes with any issues, past or present, but that elimination most of our choices. So then we eliminated any that needed work done or those that had extensive work (loads and loads of piers). And many of those had sprinkler systems.

The home we bought had the foundation repaired a few months prior to our buying it, and even though they provided their engineer's inspection report and description of the work done, we paid the extra $350-400ish to have our own inspection done (an engineering inspection in ADDITION TO the normal inspeciton. Luckily the two matched, and it was worth the piece of mind. We also made sure there was a transferable warranty...more than one house we looked at didn't have that. No way!

We plan on putting soaker hoses around the exterior of the house and watering per our inspectors instructions.

I don't think you should walk away just because there is no sprinkler system...foundation repairs in the older parts of Coppell unfortunately seem to be the norm. However, I would walk away if the foundation inspection report comes back with bad news...and you have to be willing to lose the money and walk away from the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: