Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 PM

97 posts, read 277,220 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from NC... we've been househunting in Grapevine (where my husband works) and in Keller (which is most like the suburb we moved from.)

People keep telling us to look in NRH because the home prices are low - and after looking for the past few days that seems to be true. But now that I've looked up Birdville ISD it seems to be a little bit of a crapshoot if you're looking just at TEA scores. And I realize that that's only 1 piece of the overall picture.

Anyone have some feedback to share about NRH??

We've found three houses that are about 3,000 sq feet and are listed for less than $235,000 which seems like a steal. Each seem to be zoned for great elementary schools and marginal middles/highs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:55 PM

74 posts, read 200,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoTX2012 View Post
Just moved here from NC... we've been househunting in Grapevine (where my husband works) and in Keller (which is most like the suburb we moved from.)

People keep telling us to look in NRH because the home prices are low - and after looking for the past few days that seems to be true. But now that I've looked up Birdville ISD it seems to be a little bit of a crapshoot if you're looking just at TEA scores. And I realize that that's only 1 piece of the overall picture.

Anyone have some feedback to share about NRH??

We've found three houses that are about 3,000 sq feet and are listed for less than $235,000 which seems like a steal. Each seem to be zoned for great elementary schools and marginal middles/highs.
I grew up in the Colleyville area, and my grandparents have lived in NRH for 50 years. I can tell you that I am very picky about school district...and unfortunatley, Birdville ISD is simply not up to snuff.

You will be safer from a resale standpoint too by buying in Keller ISD. Even if a district is not "truly" better than the other..the perception of homebuyers is what counts when it comes time to sell. Ppl that value good public schools typically cross NRH off their lists pretty quick.

That being said, its not like its a "bad" place, and if you find the right house it may be worth taking it, and being one of the famlies that helps improve Birdville ISD? just a theory.

But again I stress, if schools are a priority, NRH should be out.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar9918 View Post
I grew up in the Colleyville area, and my grandparents have lived in NRH for 50 years. I can tell you that I am very picky about school district...and unfortunatley, Birdville ISD is simply not up to snuff.

You will be safer from a resale standpoint too by buying in Keller ISD. Even if a district is not "truly" better than the other..the perception of homebuyers is what counts when it comes time to sell. Ppl that value good public schools typically cross NRH off their lists pretty quick.

That being said, its not like its a "bad" place, and if you find the right house it may be worth taking it, and being one of the famlies that helps improve Birdville ISD? just a theory.

But again I stress, if schools are a priority, NRH should be out.
There's also that thick slice of hell a la mode that is 820 and Rufe Snow.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times
Near as I can tell, the schools are what keep the prices lower in NRH. When we moved to DFW last year, we looked in NRH because it was cheaper but we ultimately ended up in Euless in the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD. It was worth the extra money to us for the the schools and the proximity to Grapevine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's also that thick slice of hell a la mode that is 820 and Rufe Snow.
I-820 and Rufe Snow isn't quite hell a la mode. There's no ice cream.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Near as I can tell, the schools are what keep the prices lower in NRH. When we moved to DFW last year, we looked in NRH because it was cheaper but we ultimately ended up in Euless in the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD. It was worth the extra money to us for the the schools and the proximity to Grapevine.

I-820 and Rufe Snow isn't quite hell a la mode. There's no ice cream.
It's one of the most congested sections of DFW highway though. It's brutal.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I avoid that stretch of highway at all costs. I will drive 20 miles out of my way to avoid it!

Yes, Birdville HS is marginal. Lowest-performing ISD in NE Tarrant.

You have to be fast on Grapevine houses. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-03-2012 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: RE listings/addresses from any source cannot be posted within the forums - Send DM only

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Birdville is not the armpit of education as some people are suggesting
for decades it was considered one of the best run, least advertised ISDs in the state

The reason BISD has variety of ratings is because of the demographics of the area--Birdville ISD has mix of older, smaller neighborhoods and newer, upscale construction and lower socio-economic students as well as those in the higher middle/upper class group so their schools have to serve a wide mix of needs
The district has some quality programs and offers a good education

IF Carroll ISD or Grapevine-Colleyville ISD had to deal with same % of lower socio-economic students, they would not be showing the numbers they do---
people need to be honest about why some districts post such stellar performance records--and it is not automatically because they provide such a wonderful education...it is because they teach students who come to school knowing how to read IN ENGLISH, who come with a support system that aids immeasurable to the education process...and with relatively more stable family/economic situations...

The junior high in GCISD that takes the majority of apartment/low income/minority students in that ISD has the lowest rating I believe of jr highs in the district--
if there were more students like that spread over the district then you would see similar ratings like Birdville ISD has I think...
and remember that Colleyville has NO apts to speak of and relatively high end housing which self-eliminates so many problems that come with lower income students...

Parts of NRHills IS in Keller ISD I believe so you don't have to move to Keller to get the "better" schools
just like you can live in FTW OR Colleyville and get Keller ISD...

NRHills has great park system, convenient location to many area retail/commercial/medical resources
The one concern I have--and I live in north Hurst right across Precinct Line/Grapevine Hwy from NRHills--is that the city is allowing a great deal of development in the HomeTown area which is going to greatly increase high density living and add to total traffic count in area that is already one of the busiest stretches of road in Tarrant county...
so while the city's tax coffers may see an increase in money from this development, the NRHills residents and those in close proximity are also going to see an increase in traffic and body mass congestion...
the Birdville school in that area--Walker Creek--is going to be overburdened by adding in new construction and the district is going to have to consider rezoning some catchements or building another school in the area

Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
for decades it was considered one of the best run, least advertised ISDs in the state

The reason BISD has variety of ratings is because of the demographics of the area--Birdville ISD has mix of older, smaller neighborhoods and newer, upscale construction and lower socio-economic students as well as those in the higher middle/upper class group so their schools have to serve a wide mix of needs

IF Carroll ISD or Grapevine-Colleyville ISD had to deal with same % of lower socio-economic students, they would not be showing the numbers they do---
people need to be honest about why some districts post such stellar performance records--and it is not automatically because they provide such a wonderful education...it is because they teach students who come to school knowing how to read IN ENGLISH, who come with a support system that aids immeasurable to the education process...and with relatively more stable family/economic situations...

The junior high in GCISD that takes the majority of apartment/low income/minority students in that ISD has the lowest rating I believe of jr highs in the district--
if there were more students like that spread over the district then you would see similar ratings like Birdville ISD has I think...
and remember that Colleyville has NO apts to speak of and relatively high end housing which self-eliminates so many problems that come with lower income students...

Parts of NRHills IS in Keller ISD I believe so you don't have to move to Keller to get the "better" schools

NRHills has great park system, convenient location to many area retail/commercial/medical resources
The one concern I have--and I live in north Hurst right across Precinct Line/Grapevine Hwy from NRHills--is that the city is allowing a great deal of development in the HomeTown area which is going to greatly increase high density living and add to total traffic count in area that is already one of the busiest stretches of road in Tarrant county...
so while the city's tax coffers may see an increase in money from this development, the NRHills residents and those in close proximity are also going to see an increase in traffic and body mass congestion...
the Birdville school in that area--Walker Creek--is going to be overburdened by adding in new construction and the district is going to have to consider rezoning some catchements or building another school in the area
It's not Birdville ISD's fault they have more lower socioeconomic kids, but it's not mine either. Besides, HEB manages to do a better job with roughly the same socioeconomic makeup and their home prices are comparable to NRH (if not lower). I don't have any beef with NRH but I personally think that there are better ISDs in the area and that NRH's home prices weren't low enough when I was looking (last year) to make up the difference. You mileage may certainly vary. I personally wouldn't have any qualms about sending my kids to Birdville ISD if there weren't any better options available in the area, but there are.

And as a side note, while the city of Colleyville has no apartments, Euless has quite a few apartments in the GCISD. The southern border east of 121 is Bear Creek. See all those apartments north of the creek? They all go to Colleyville schools. (Bear Creek -> Heritage Middle -> Heritage High)

Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
And Timberline Elem in GCISD is majority ESL students and it still manages to be rated Exemplary.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

I agree with this. Birdville ISD is underrated and underappreciated because a significant portion covers older areas. That brings lower socioeconomics. If there's one unforgiveable sin in North Texas, it's not being new and shiny.

My sister fell for the hype and moved out of her Birdville area home and transfered her kid to a Keller school because of their reputation. She's regretted it ever since because of how much money she spent on the increased home cost, how much further from Ft. Worth she feels, and all for an education that she can't tell any difference in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas