U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 40,250 times

Advertisements

First of all, i am relatively new to the DFW area, just about a year now here and already love the area.

I am a first time home buyer and looking for homes in Plano ISD around the 300k mark, but most of my knowledge for the search has been second hand information and i am finding tough getting a good picture.

I have been told that areas feeding to Rice Middle School or Robinson Middle School, are really good - primarily because i have heard their programs are pretty competitive and regularly produce kids who end up in some of the top-ranked programs and merit lists.

But the problem is there are not too many homes in the above preference area and even if something comes up, gets lapped up in 3-5 days time, even in this economy

So we are faced with two choices either (please excuse me for being too particular)
1. Go up to Frisco ISD area (Fowler Middle)
or
2. Allen (Erickson MIddle) and feeding upwards

I have a few questions
1. There are some great homes for the above two middle school zones, (Frisco/Allen) but i dont have too many first person accounts of how the schools in the above (both elementary and Middle) are? Any feedback from members would be most appreciated.
2. Are these schools on par with the PLano school patterns of Skaggs/Rice etc.? Or they less academically competitive.
3. How competitive is Clark High School compared to Jasper? i have heard that Clarke is not a great school (apologies to any ex-clarkites, i dont know much about the school)
4. How about Mathews / Schimplefenig schools compared to Skaggs/Andrews/Wyatt and Rice schools?

I am Indian (Not Asian) and would like my kid to go to a school that has good academics and extra-curriculars. My kid does show a lot of preference for learning and maybe arts (Dance/singing) compared to sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:38 PM

2,285 posts, read 2,934,168 times
Howdy!

First, this thread would get better informed responses on the Dallas forum than the broader Texas forum.

Second, did you discount Murphy as a location? Much of Murphy is in the Plano ISD; Boggess feeds in to Murphy Middle, McMillen High, and Plano East. Plano East has the IB program. With the new re-alignment, PESH will not be as crowded in the future. You can buy homes in your budget range. I will add though, that Boggess is the largest elementary school in PISD with 857 students.

While test scores can give you one view of a school, they will not show you how your child will do at that school. Your involvement in your child's education, both at home and at school will do more to determine how your child succeeds.

To be honest, my children attend East Cluster Plano schools; I think that any Plano schools top Allen and Frisco schools. Not that i'm prejudiced or anything.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-04-2012 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: please report posts in the wrong forum in the future, thanks!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM

5,090 posts, read 9,829,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post

Second, did you discount Murphy as a location? Much of Murphy is in the Plano ISD . . .

Murphy / Parker is looking pretty good to us.

Still shopping.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 PM

Thanks Ditsy and Philip - you just reaffirmed my faith in continuing to look at Plano schools - i had almost given up hopes of finding a home in PLano, preferably a new one. but now i will continue in my quest for Plano ISD schools. I just got to know about Murphy / Richardson (with Plano ISD schools) near Renner road etc. today. will look at them actively. Thank you again so much

Old 07-04-2012, 09:41 PM

2,285 posts, read 2,934,168 times
Good Luck! Hope that you find what you are looking for.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 PM

11,917 posts, read 22,185,176 times
Plano schools are A LOT better than Frisco's and Allen's. The district is large, however, and can be tricky to navigate (ie, not all schools are awesome, high school opportunities are REALLY competitive due to 1,100+ graduates at each senior high, etc ).

I think many parents are intrigued by Frisco's "small schools" strategy, but the facts remain that Frisco trails Plano ISD's SAT and AP results (the two best indicators of college preparedness) by a significant amount.

I'm not sure of Allen's draw at all, other than cheap new housing. The high school is ridiculously sized- at least Plano splits its "mega-sized" classes into 2 schools (9-10 and 11-12 campuses), which makes the campuses smaller. Allen's test scores are mediocre for a middle/upper middle class, professional job parent suburb. Flower Mound in Lewisville ISD or Plano ISD are much better choices for similar priced housing.

I don't know the ins & outs of all the Plano schools but there are many parents on this forum who can give you the pros & cons of the ones you're looking into. I'd encourage you to not get blindly sucked into the newer, bigger homes in Allen and Frisco and focus on Plano ISD if schools are a top priority.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 PM

186 posts, read 369,150 times
You are on right track. Murphy and Richardson's Renner Road neighborhoods are your best option for a new or newer house with Plano schools under 300k budget. I would take that over Frisco and Allen any day and not just for schools but for overall better value. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 PM

43 posts, read 111,137 times
You will be fine at Hunters Landing/Aviary/Rolling Ridge in Murphy.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 PM

186 posts, read 369,150 times
Creek Hollow Estates and Saddle Brook Estates in far east Richardson have over all very good per square foot values for location, housing, nice amenities and exemplary elementary schools.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Thanks Turtlecreek, falafelosophy and kazhuveri.

I am still looking in North plano in the plano west school system as of now. I would have loved to have looked at Plano Senior as well, but Clark's reputation is what has got me concerned (compared to a Jasper / Shepton) for i heard drugs/gangs on that part of town, not sure how true it is. Any light would be helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or