U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 PM

15 posts, read 50,392 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are currently renting a townhome in Addison and we love it but we can't afford buying a house out here. Since our rent is about to become $1500 p/m we really want to get a house. We started looking at Carrolton and the surrounding areas but the houses are too old and still expensive. We want to play it safe and get a nice 4 br. house under $175 k. We have been looking at a few houses in Rowlett and I really like a couple of them. They are very nice, updated and have great floorplans. I am just worried that it is in the middle of nowhere. We are young and we like to have fun and go out to nice restaurants, bike, play tennis, go shopping, etc, etc. We drove around Rowlett and it's seems like there are only houses up there. Is this true? Is there anything to do up there? Is it going to be a big mistake moving out there?

Thanks for all of your replies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 01:11 AM

1,538 posts, read 6,695,680 times
Rowlett, the middle no nowhere? Not even close. At one point yes it was s small town, but like all small towns anywhere near Dallas it is now a sprawling suburb. A SuperTarget just opened up there, and there is a nice big Tom Thumb. There are several parks along the shore of Ray Hubbard. Its a very short car ride to Rockwall, or Garland, both of which have more shopping and movie theaters.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:07 PM

141 posts, read 654,840 times
While Rowlett is a family oriented town, it is a nice place to live and is really close to anything you would want to do. Its a quick drive into downtown dallas on I 30 or take the turnpike to addison, plano, frisco, anywhere you want to go easily. You can boat or jet ski on the lake and there are some nice restaurants there too, not fancy but nice. Do you know you can even go out to the Rockwall airport and probably find someone who, for a price of course, will take you up in a small airplane for a tour of our area from the sky. My husband is a private pilot and I can tell you it's pretty cool to fly over your house. If your looking for excitement, Rowlett probably isn't going to fit the bill. it's quiet and easy going out here and we like that. If we crave excitment we know where to find it. I know lots of people like to live where the action is 24/7, thats not for me.

You won't have to worry about a lot of petty crime that goes on in other burbs. People are very friendly here and take pride in our town. If your looking for lots of excitment, Rowlett probably won't be for you.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:25 PM

670 posts, read 2,806,415 times
Thanks Rowlett mom. My husband FINALLY got a go ahead and a new job offer so Rowlett is one of the areas we're considering too (moving back from Georgia--formerly lived in Mckinney).

Old 09-30-2007, 12:22 AM

15 posts, read 50,392 times
Thank you for all your comments. I think if we had kids it will be nice but we don't and we won't soon so our priorities are a little different. Maybe in a few years...

Old 12-28-2007, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 20,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysalka80 View Post
Thank you for all your comments. I think if we had kids it will be nice but we don't and we won't soon so our priorities are a little different. Maybe in a few years...
Rowlett is nice. We live here and find it peaceful, clean, neighborly with its own shopping and things to do. Yes, we do have Starbucks and many lesser known names. We have a long-time sports bar at Nick's on 66. There are plans to develop the area near the train station, but that is a couple of years off. Nearby there are also things to do across the bridge in Rockwall, up Rowlett Road at Firewheel, and along I-30.
No, this is not like uptown or the arts area of Dallas, and not like Beltline where you are. The key may be that you can live here economically enough to drive to whatever other entertainment you're looking for, while the interior of Rowlett develops into a more walkable area.
Even Addison is not walkable except around the circle, but it does sport many eating and drinking places. Preston Center is walkable, the Ms, Greenville areas, but most of these are not affordable. Rowlett does not have a lot of drinking places, but we do eat. You might like lakeshore near I-30 in Rockwall, which was recently developed and somewhat affordable.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:35 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,987,284 times
Rowlett is close to a lot of things, including Firewheel Mall which my daughter and I love. Getting to Addison to catch up with friends is like a fifteen min drive on GB. I love it out here. It's away from it all, yet we have it all within a short distance. I purchased a new home in Rowlett, love it. However my husband wanted more property. So we moved right down the street with a 1/2 acre lot. Yes, it's an older home but the previous owners took very god care of it and updated almost everything in the home. We love it.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 21,384 times
we are relocating to dallas from new jersey and have been informing ourselves on where is the best place to live. my husband will be working in the dallas airport. we have two girls ages 13 and 9, so i am looking for good schools and friendly people, rowlett sounds really nice. can someone tell me some more. thanks queen mom

Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,695,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queen mom View Post
we are relocating to dallas from new jersey and have been informing ourselves on where is the best place to live. my husband will be working in the dallas airport. we have two girls ages 13 and 9, so i am looking for good schools and friendly people, rowlett sounds really nice. can someone tell me some more. thanks queen mom
DFW airport or Lovefield? I could not imagine commuting to DFW and back on a daily basis.

Lake Ray Hubbard is probably one of the biggest draws for Rowlett. Like I said there are many parks along its shores in Rowlett. You can also enjoy any kind of boating, and fishing on the lake.

It's a commuter suburb, so it a pretty quiet place. You can also get a good deal on a home in Rowlett.

Depending on what part of Rowlett you lived in your girls would either go to Garland ISD or Rockwall ISD. Most of Rowlett is served by Garland ISD, and Rowlett H.S. is a part of GISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas