Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,812,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I took a drive down to the listing they gave me...I couldn't even get onto the street because it's gated. Along that stretch of Lakeland between Garland Road and Ferguson, it seemed to change street to street....nice, hood, nice, delapidated, nice, etc. The word I'd use to describe it would be....transitioning?

What I want to know is will a brand new home with no personality and next to no yard on a gated street full of the same kinds of houses be a sound investment for that area? My gut says no, but I don't know that area very well.
Driving from Garland on Lakeland you are on the border of Forest Hills (on the right) and Little Forest Hills (on your left). Little Forest Hills homes are considerably "cozier" and smaller lots than Forrest Hills. The neighborhoods are considerably different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Next to the area:

Update: 15-acre retail development planned at Gaston/Garland | Advocate Magazine

"Lincoln Property Co.’s plans for the intersection of Gaston and Garland prove we all should’ve bought there years ago. The real estate company is planning a vast, high-end retail development on the intersection’s three corners...

...That intersection is extraordinary because of its location and underutilization. It’s at the gateway of White Rock Lake, a few blocks from the Dallas Arboretum, a few blocks from a public golf course and adjacent to the Santa Fe Trail. That’s not even mentioning the hundreds of high-end homes in the area"

Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What I want to know is will a brand new home with no personality and next to no yard on a gated street full of the same kinds of houses be a sound investment for that area? My gut says no, but I don't know that area very well.
I live over in Lakewood so take my opinion for what it is.

That neighborhood sounds nice, but it will likely always be a new(er), flat personality house "close to" all of the cool architecture and funkiness of East Dallas. Would that work for me? Probably not since I like my old funky house. Would it work for some - probably or the houses wouldn't sell.

Are schools an issue? If not for your friends, what about resale?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:32 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Sanger is the local elem school. The parents in the area are excited about the old principal leaving (left before the school year ended) and welcoming an incoming principal. I see things getting much better at Sanger with parent involved being welcome.

I don't understand why your friends would be looking at the Enclave at Ash Creek if they aren't working downtown or in the area.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
They have no kids, and they're used to a city with a more funky vibe than Dallas.

They'll be visiting this coming weekend so we'll get to hear what they think of the area.

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,170 times
I grew up on that side of the lake. Nothing south of the tracks is "Forest Hills" which seems to have been covered, but it always bothers me when realtors try to pull that.

No offense to the poster who lives in that development, but I watched it go up the 90s and it was very cheaply done. Maybe not by Metroplex standards, but certainly by the standards of the neighborhood. It won't age well over the next 15 years, so keep that in mind.

The area is not "in transition" it is very, very stable. The homes south of Ferguson are being bought by young immigrant families as the older homeowners die off or retire. The areas to the north are getting posher (gentrifying?) but that wont spill over the tracks. There are lots of apartments near by (south of Ferguson) that have considerable problems. I doubt there would be any property crime in the gated streets, but their presence has always held back the retail nearby and kept 75228 the step sister to 75218.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas